Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap beginner/intermediate boots for my wife...

Poster: A snowHead
My wife has a total of 7 days skiing on snow and a few beginner lessons under her feet. It looks like this season is going to be brilliant in Scotland and so it's worthwhile her having her own equipment. I've managed to find her a pair of un-used skis so all we need now is a pair of boots.

Now, before anyone says, i know it's very important to get fitted for boots, but i'm trying to do this behind her back and as cheap as possible as money is tight. She takes a size 6 (sometimes a 7) and has really narrow feet. Narrow heel, mid and forefoot.

Anyone recommend any boots and suggest where i could pick them up pretty cheap. Surely they'd be better than hire boots?

If she sticks at it, then i think it would be worth investing in some better equipment that will see her progress past intermediate stage.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are anywhere near glasgow it might be worth popping into greaves as they had a lot of last seasons ladies boots on sale week before xmas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want her to keep skiing with you, get her properly fitted boots. Boots that don't fit right make skiing hell, and depending on how supple she is, she might not need beginner boots.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
would it be worth a trip through from the falkirk area?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
She's pretty supple, but don't go telling her i said that on an internet forum! Blush
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly, Finding a narrow fit bot suitable for a beginner, within budget could be tricky. If it's a cash issue, then you will most likely have to fore go fit, if it needs to be done for the type of foot she has, then you might have to fore go cash. I'm sure that with a steady eye and some persistent trawling around the internet, you will find a boot that matches her foot, but without work it's unlikely to be comfortable, plumping for a decent comfortable (cheap) boot marketed at her level maybe the best bet and shee if she feels the need for more precision, then you can perhaps get the job done as well as it can be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I now have a properly fitted pair of boots..........

However my first pair cost £60 off Ebay. I went in to a few shops and tried boots on and through lack of knowledgeable staff and no boots in my size didn't manage to buy any, I then saw the ones recommended to me by one of the shops and bought them from Ebay. They pretty quickly packed out and I discovered I had been told to buy a size bigger than I needed, however for £60 they certainly saved me a bit of cash on hire charges and a lot of inconvenience. If you are near a ski shop why don't you try a few on, do a shell check ( as explained many times on here Wink ) then look elsewhere to buy them cheaply. I know a lot of people may have a moral problem with this but if you don't take up any of the sales persons time ( and they are sales staff, not boot fitters) then I don't think its that bad, alternatively ask if they have any of last years models on sale.

I really, really don't think boots are the sort of thing that can be bought as a surprise, even if you are trying to do it as cheaply as possible she really needs to try them on.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe the skis will be a big enough surprise for her...

hmmmm. I knew in advance i would get told that she really needs to get fitted, i mean i've been through the whole boot fitting scenario myself.

I think i'll suggest popping into Blues tomorrow as i need to get some Zardox for my skis anyway. While we're in, i'll suggest she tries on a pair of boots just to see what fit she needs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly, Can't go too wrong with a Dalbello Krypton Storm, please shell fit whatever you get. These boots have a great deal of modification for all manner of BF problems.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
good value ladies boots at winter shack in dundee if you are anywhere near

they are on ebay, but if you are close you could try them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, are they not a very expensive boot? I know i'm keen to get her skiing and be comfy doing so, but i did say cash was a bit tight. Ideally, i'm looking to spend not much more than £100, so maybe something from last years range would be better.

Having done a search for those boots, i did find a dealer in Carlisle selling some other models cheap. Also found this...

"The Krypton Storm from Dalbello is a women’s specific boot for advanced to expert level skiers. It has a 98mm last and forward lean control."

There is no way my wife is any where near advanced. Would that kind of boot not be too much for her?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scotland is a big place, but if you are close to a Decathlon, it's worth trying - they are already discounting heavily
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
where is decathlon?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, Ignore the marketing bull****. For Beginner, Intermediate, advanced, expert - skier. Please read..........rubbish, poor, reasonable and good- quality.

I have in recent weeks found 5-6 pairs of various 'types' of krypton for between 70-0120 €. Good luck, just an idea. Then they did become very fashionable in Chamonix as it was deemed they were suitable for every kind and shape of foot when accompanied by an injection liner. Would seem that Full tilt is now the chosen fit's all feet, ski boot. Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, I think you might need rock a tad higher than a £100. I got beginner-intermediate boots Head 8.8's about 4 years ago brand new and even then they cost me £120 notes. Surprise her with the skis (which speaking as girly I am sure she will be thrilled as a surprise with), and then suggest to her that its no good having decent skis without well fitting boots to go with them and invite her to get in the car for a shopping trip. B.t.w. I hope the skis have got adjustable bindings and that you can fit the boots that you buy in them!! B.t.w. I hope she likes the skis I know a lot of women who would prefer the chance to choose something as personal as skis rather than be chosen for Shocked !!
latest report
Quote:

i'm trying to do this behind her back

shoogly, you really, really, do know that's a bad idea, don't you? what if she decided to get you a pair of ski boots "behind your back".

No, a pair bought off the shelf with no fitting, and without her having any chance to try them on, could be a lot worse than hire skis.

Would you buy her a pair of stilettos she hadn't tried on?
latest report
pam w, I'm with you, and wonder if the same argument could apply to the skis being bought behind her back?
snow report
Megamum wrote:
pam w, I'm with you, and wonder if the same argument could apply to the skis being bought behind her back?

i'm sure she'd ask other people that know me behind my back and pick the right ones! Very Happy

seriously though, comment taken on board. the skis - dynastar exclusive 8 - were a friends who had won them a couple of seasons ago and offered them for free when i mentioned that i was looking for some. I've now broken the good news and we're going boot shopping when the opportunity arises. Madeye-Smiley

can't wait to get her out on the slopes on her first ever pair of own skis...
latest report
shoogly wrote:
where is decathlon?

Well there's one near me in Stockport...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/

Glasgow East would appear to be the only one in Scotland
ski holidays
E.g. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/exalt-x70-95329960/

ROSSIGNOL - Exalt X70. End of line, £ 79.95 was £ 169.00
ski holidays
shoogly, That sounds like an excellent plan Very Happy I must admit despite presuming to pick your wifes own skis you clearly were offered a good deal that you couldn't really turn down, and it sounds like she will do OK by you. I must admit your enthusiasm to see your wife on her 'very own first set of skis' did make me smile and feel all warm inside - she sounds as though she has a big place in your heart which makes her very lucky IMV - I hope she enjoys her new kit and that you have a great first trip together Very Happy
ski holidays
shoogly, Awesome, result.
snow report
shoogly,
I was in Greaves and they had a few left including really good Lange boots for £40.

I got my boots in the summer fomr Skinboardroom in Partick. They tend to be about 20-30% cheaper than ellis brigham.

Cheers
Bob
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy