Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bormio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any advice/experience for skiing Bormio? I'm sure it featured in UK tour brochures 'back in the day' - but packages seem hard to find now.

Deals?
DIY - which airport - transfers etc?

Cheers,
Chris.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We only passed Bormio on the way to Livigno. It was maybe just over 3h easy drive from Milan Bergamo airport.
Originally I wanted to go there for a day but it did not worked out.
However you can see the Bormio area from Livigno and it looks nice. Seems like a long run from the top to the bottom.
Livigno is another 1h drive on the narrow mountain roads. You can get one ski pass to cover them all.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we passed it too
its a bit low down as a resort, and the championship run looked strange all white when around it was green
thats was mid march 2008
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well the terrain is higher than Livigno, just over 3000m I believe. If you still have snow on lower lever that's only a benefit of a long run from top to bottom.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have been a number of times including last year. Have used all three of the Milan airports, but Bergamo is the nearest (3-4 hours on a coach with restricted speed limit). Have always gone DIY, last year used www.taxi-bus.it who provided a bus as there were about 14 of us which cost us £54 each return. If you get bored with the skiing after a few days there are local buses that will take you to a couple of other resorts including Santa Caterina and another whose names escapes me, but both within 25 mins away. Recommend hotel Genzianella and San Lorenzo.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 8-01-10 13:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I spent a week there about 5 or 6 years ago. This was Feb half-term and it was 20+ degrees and no snow to speak of. There was a strip of artificial down the middle and a sugar-cube route to the bottom on the World Cup run but that was about it. In the circumstances, I cannot really say much about the skiing, except that it put us off going to Italy for years!

the town itself is a delight. Ancient and picturesque like a Zeffirelli set with some wonderful old baths fed by warm springs. You will not forget swimming beneath the stars in a Roman pool.
I would say it is a genuine ski town with lots to offer, but we got very unlucky.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies people!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, I did my first ski on a DIY to Santa Caterina. We found a deal on activitybreaks which was very good value for money. We went mid-late January 2 years ago and there was plenty of snow. The towns were very peaceful and quiet. We drove to Bormio for a meal and a spa session (free with the deal).

We got a cheap flight out to Bergamo but it's a good 3.5 hours drive. About half of the drive was on single lane roads so the transfer could take much longer if there's traffic. It is also possible to take public transport into Bormio. I believe you'd have to take a train from Bergamo into Milan. Then a coach from Milan to Bormio. I think the bus ran only once a day.

I had a great time there and enjoyed the Italian atmosphere, however I'm still a complete novice. An uber skier may find the mileage available insufficient. I'd probably say it's good for short breaks or if you got a good deal on it.

We stayed at Hotel Nordik in Valfura (Santa Caterina) and can highly recommend it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisdavis, I've been to both Bormio and Santa Caterina and really like this area. It is obv q. different to places like 3V and Dolomites in that areas are much smaller, but well worth the trip. Bormio prob best place to stay and I'd endorse earlier rec of Hotel San Lorenzo. Only issue really is it then a 10ish min walk to gondola station, although there is a skibus; other downside is the long transfer. You can also get the bus up to Sant. Cat which is a really nice area, or to Olga/Valdentro (duff spelling) which is just a few mins away and a nice place but totally deserted most days. Suits intermediate skiing, less ideal for beginners or experts. Bormio itself is lovely and quite different to any ski town I've been too. Food in mountain restaurants (and hotel) is fantastic and reason enough to go wink V Italian atmosphere and Brits will be a tiny minority which is a novelty compared to most places. Hope you go!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would endorse all the above. The sheer vertical is too long for my ancient legs. As for the town, I thought it a treat to be there, really medieval in parts. And the other local areas are well worth a visit. We were there 2 years ago and it was terrific value. We hired a car and drove up to Bormio, We were there for a week(4 blokes) and even went over to Livigno for a day. Good food, good hills and sheap as chips. Our hotel was just at the bottom of the hill...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm liking the sound of Bormio!

I'm currently trying to convince MrsCD that we shound go next Christmas, for the Men's Downhill - I've always wanted to see one live. Wish me luck Razz .

DoubleBombardino, loving your user name Cool .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
check out these pictures...

http://www.bormioski.eu/web/index.php?id=55
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisdavis, cheers but should have made it a treble... snowHead when we were in Bormio they had the world cup race on and it was surprising just how easy it was to navigate the slopes - good fun getting a lift that went over part of the main Stelvio piste and their speed racing down was just incredible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DoubleBombardino, is it ridiculously busy race week??

Found http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/italy/bormio/accommodations.html who use Bormio and S Catarina. Research time Cool .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chrisdavis, Chris - from memory we were there 1st week of Jan, and normally Bormio race is previous week but pre Xmas downhill races had been cancelled in other resorts so they did an extra one in Bormio post 1 January which was the one I happened to see. Or at least that what I remember. Bormio and also Santa Caterina don't have vast amounts of accommodation and are also a long-drive for the Milanese so whilst they'll be busy you should be ok. Most Italians seem to find more than a few runs in morning and a few in afternoon too much - gets in the way of their epic lunches and afternoon bombardinos snowHead so even if resorts all full you should find plenty of quiet enough pistes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy