Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yet another Easyjet, skis and boots question- Sorry !

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to bring this old chestnut out again but is there a definitive answer yet?
If you pay for ski carriage on EasyJet (£18.50 each way) does it include skis plus boots in a separate bag or only the skis?
Nothing on Easyjet website and very conflicting advice and experiences when doing a search on snowheads.
Flying with Easyjet from Gatwick to Innsbruck in a few weeks time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Louis, boots in a separate bag are fine
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One would have thought that even Easyjet would make the connection: if they have skis then surely they will have boots too!!
Maybe Admin should invite Easyjet to answer all our questions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having said that, i just noticed this on Easyjet website:
Sports Equipment An additional non-refundable fee is charged per flight for the carriage of bicycles, golf equipment, skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms. Ski boots will have to be checked in as normal hold baggage subject to hold baggage fees and cannot be carried as hand baggage due to security reasons. Details of sport equipment and baggage allowances can be found in our Carriers Regulations.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I recommend that you pack your bootrs in your main case and stuff any excess clothing in the ski bag or hand luggage. Innsbruck security are fine with taking helmets in hand luggage - I flew out of there 2 weeks ago and all was OK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have just booked a flight with Easyjet and desperately wanted to clarify the situation re baggage, skis/boards & boots. Therefore finally got a call through to their support team who informed me that their 'policy' was as follows:

You can have more than 1 baggage in the hold PROVIDED the total weight is no more than 20 kg. However you will be charged for each SEPARATE piece of baggage in the hold (I have been charged £18 for my single bag containing < 20kg) . If you bag is OVER 20kg you will be charged for extra weight. Therefore I would suggest that you put your ski boots in your bag if possible and can keep it under 20kg (which is what I have done).

Here's the real sting in the tail - my partner is taking 1 double ski bag, containing 2 pairs of skis and NOTHING ELSE (I have his clothes & boots in my bag) and he HAS to book it in as 2 x sports equipment at £37 each ! Even though they are in ONE bag that weighs LESS THAN 20kg in total !!!!!! He's argued the toss with EasyJet but was told "That's our policy" even though the EasyJet Terms & Conditions DO NOT state that costs will be charged per set of skis and refers to 'baggage' again ! Evil or Very Mad

In my opinion what Easyjet are trying to implement does not tie in with their Terms & Conditions BUT I don't know where you would stand legally if you wanted to challenge it. Additionally, reading other comments I don't thing EasyJet staff are confidently and consitently knowledgable on what is or is not permissable so for people with more than 1 set of skis (and clothes etc) in a ski/board bag it really is a gamble ! Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ebbers wrote:

Here's the real sting in the tail - my partner is taking 1 double ski bag, containing 2 pairs of skis and NOTHING ELSE (I have his clothes & boots in my bag) and he HAS to book it in as 2 x sports equipment at £37 each ! Even though they are in ONE bag that weighs LESS THAN 20kg in total !!!!!! He's argued the toss with EasyJet but was told "That's our policy" even though the EasyJet Terms & Conditions DO NOT state that costs will be charged per set of skis and refers to 'baggage' again ! Evil or Very Mad

They do clearly state that the charge for sporting goods is "per item".

They are arguing that a set of skis is "an item", while you are arguing that the ski bag is "an item" regardless of what is in it.

Regardless of what they say, I can't recall ever seeing any airline requiring ski bags to be opened at check in, and the oversize baggage desks couldn't care less.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Louis, The charge does NOT include boots in a separate bag. You will be charged for each piece of luggage, so you need to put your boots in your main suitcase.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we flew with EJ to Geneva we checked two small bags into the hold which contained some clothes and our ski boots and then a ski bag with a set of skis The ski bag (a Burton lowroller - it's snowboard bag really) actually had two sets of skis, poles and clothes but we only paid £37.00. To be honest I have never seen the check-in staff ask you open the bag to show what is in it.

Louis, When flying to and from Geneva I did notice that people had actually taken boot bags on as hand luggage - I guess it's up to the EJ check-in staff on the day. You could try and take them as hand luggage and if the check-in staff dont let you then make sure you have enough room in the hold bag to put the boots in as well?

ebbers, if I was in your circumstances I would cancel one of the set of skis (if possible) and just try to check in one ski bag containing both sets of skis. What's the worst they can do - make you pay another £37.00? Or is the charge increased if you pay at the airport?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bluebull, where was that? It's not what I see, at http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html i.e.
Easyjet wrote:
Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum combined hold baggage weight of 50kg including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32kg.

Bicycles (1), golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms (2)

An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items as set out in our carrier’s regulations.

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out in our carrier’s regulations shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Please note that sporting equipment fees will not be refunded if you change your mind and decide not to carry sporting equipment on your flight.

It's also at variance with what I and others have experienced - I have always been allowed to take boots in hand luggage (I don't use Grenoble or Chambery), and on my last trip I had just the ski bag (so paid for 1 sports equipment and 0 normal hold bags).

ebbers, I'd put the two sets of skis in the bag, print out the T&Cs and be prepared to argue the toss, as it constitutes one item of sporting baggage. It clearly says that once you've paid for sports equipment you can take that item of baggage, up to a 32kg allowance. It's also going to take up less space than a windsurfer or hang-glider, so they can't argue about additional volume. I've seen plenty of double ski bags and snowboard bags rammed to the gills with stuff. If you've any doubts, put in the two pairs of skis, then pack out with clothes to make it less obvious there're two pairs in there. I'd be less clear though that a separate boot bag is not separately chargeable - but as I have no separate boot bag, I've no experience of that.

Some other airlines do specifically say that ski bags should contain just one pair of skis + poles and nothing else (e.g. Swiss, but that is free additional to the main allowance, so probably fair).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney, will I be ok if I put my boots with the skis in a double ski-bag (13kg) , and my main suitcase is 15 kg. Still under the 32 kg , otherwise I will have to go and buy a bigger suitcase prompto !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think one thing worth mentioning that easyjet aren't necessarily forthcoming with is that if there are two travelling you can book (and share) one bag between you with a maximum weight of 32kg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When we last travelled with EJ, ski carriage included a separate boot bag, but I don't know if that is still the case. We had two pairs of skis in one bag, and one boot bag. Othe boots went in holdall end pocket.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We put 2 sets of skis and our helmets into a board bag, the weight is 19.3kg. Check on one bag for the 2 of us with clothes for 15kg. Bring boots as hand luggage for 9kg each. We fly Ryanair.
AFAIK whether boots are allowed through is up to security at the particular airport, Dublin and Memmingen both allow it. I have confirmed this with the heads of security at the airports and travelled through them last week.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, I've never been charged extra for taking a separate boot bag on easyjet
latest report
Couple of years back EJ wanted to charge 2 of us for boot bags through Geneva. I successfully argued as 1 of our mates hadnt travelled we could have his luggage allowance.
Girl on the desk accepted this suprisingly.
snow report
nbt wrote:
alex_heney, I've never been charged extra for taking a separate boot bag on easyjet

How recently have you used them?

Their T&C now clearly state that the fee for skis is per item, and there is no mention of boots.
snow report
alex_heney, there's never been any mention of boots in the Ts & Cs. Last time I used them was the EOSB '09
ski holidays
My brother in law took ski boots in his (regulation-meeting) carry on bag, on easyjet Geneva/Birmingham last week. He didn't have skis (he borrows some of mine....).

He said he'd regularly carried his boots that way - and not had a problem. There does seem to be a bewildering plethora of different interpretations and experiences though.
snow report
nbt wrote:
alex_heney, there's never been any mention of boots in the Ts & Cs. Last time I used them was the EoSB '09

I thought that in previous years their website did mention that the fee for skis included one pair of skis and one pair of booyts. BICBW.

But this year, their T&C clearly state that you will incur a fee per item of checked baggage, and that the fee for skis is per item. To me, that says that if boots are in a separate piece of hold luggage, you will incur an extra fee.

I have no idea where bluebull found the text he quoted, but if that does come from the Easyjet site (I can't find it there), then it agrees with what I believe to be implied.
snow conditions
Quote:

the Ts & Cs. Last time I used them was the €oSB

There's Ts & Cs for the €0$B Shocked Is Mr Goldsmith aware of this Toofy Grin
snow conditions
alex_heney,
Found Bluebulls link :
http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2838&p_created=1204555924&p_sid=

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 22-01-10 0:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Louis, Thanks.

BTW, the link still works if you take away the session id, and then it would fit in the normal page width (&p_sp= and all the junk following it)
snow report
alex_heney, oops,edited
ski holidays
Easyjet don't have the right to open your bags. They are not airport security. They also don't have the time or inclination to open every ski and board bag that comes through check in.

We regularly travel with a snowboard bag that has two pairs of skis and poles in it, comes to just about 20kg with some clothes to pad it out. No-one has ever even blinked at us doing this.

I travel with my boots in hand luggage on the way out, guarantees that the important things get there, everything else can be rented without major impact. On the way back with most airlines I just chuck them into the hold - back in the UK with time I could get another pair of boots exactly the same and get them fitted the same.

Whatever Easyjet policy is, if your carry on bag fits in their little cage and is under the weight limit, the only people who will stop you with boots is the airport security as you go through - Gatwick certainly don't seem to mind, and I'd be surprised if you had any issues at any other UK airport. If they get funny just start putting the boots on, and put your shoes in the boot bag. They will see sense.
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
Easyjet don't have the right to open your bags. They are not airport security. They also don't have the time or inclination to open every ski and board bag that comes through check in.

They certainly have the right. This is a contrctual term you agree to when booking http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/conditions.html section 9.3.

But they are indeed unlikely to have the time or inclination.
ski holidays
Easyjet terms used to state ski bag and boot bag, now it makes no reference to boot bag !
snow report
Never had any problem checking in boot bag along with separate ski bag with easyjet. Used them lots and recently. On top of normal carry on and hold luggage. All straightfoward and simple.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so can you take ski boots as hand luggage on easyjet???
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, if they let you on the day, yes Very Happy
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
so can you take ski boots as hand luggage on easyjet???

Quote fro EJ's T&C's
EDIT - ooops as pointed out below this ain't the T&C's, it's the Customer Help database

Sports Equipment An additional non-refundable fee is charged per flight for the carriage of bicycles, golf equipment, skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms. Ski boots will have to be checked in as normal hold baggage subject to hold baggage fees and cannot be carried as hand baggage due to security reasons.

So, its the old "security reasons" and nothing to do with hold baggage fees. Glad thats sorted out then, security not income.

This said, I have seen lots of people EZY flights with boot bags getting checked at the same time as skis. So up to you. Take a chance or not ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-01-10 16:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Wayne, no that's not from the EJ T&Cs, it's from their Customer Help database. The T&Cs are as I quoted above, which says nothing about excluding boots from hand baggage. Also the following
Easyjet wrote:

In addition to the list of dangerous articles highlighted above, the following articles must not be carried on board either on the person or as cabin baggage:

Guns, Firearms and Weapons:
Toys or replica guns (plastic or metal)
Catapults, cross bows, harpoons
All firearms and component part of firearms
Signal flare pistols, starter pistols, air pistols, rifles and pellet guns
Industrial bolt and nail guns
Animal humane killers, stun or shocking devices
Lighters shaped like firearms
Pointed / edged Weapons and Sharp Objects:
Axes, hatchets, arrows, darts
Crampons, harpoons, spears, ice axes and ice picks
Ice skates
Meat Cleavers
Household cutlery
Knives with blades of any length and machetes
Ski and walking / hiking poles
Razor blades and Scalpels
Tradesmen's tools
Sabres, swords and swordsticks
Scissors
Hypodermic syringes (unless supported by medical evidence)
Blunt Instruments:
Knitting needles
Sporting bats
Billiard, snooker or pool cues
Lacrosse and hockey sticks
Kayak and canoe paddles
Fishing rods
Martial arts equipment
Skateboards
In addition to the list of dangerous articles highlighted above, the following articles are not permitted to be carried on an easyJet aircraft.
Explosives and Flammable Substances:
Ammunition, explosives and explosive devices
Blasting caps
Detonators and fuses
Replica or imitation explosive material or devices
Mines and other explosive military stores
Fireworks, flares and other pyrotechnics
Grenades, smoke generating canisters or cartridges
Flammable liquids of any kind
Aerosol spray paint, turpentine and paint thinner
Alcoholic beverages exceeding 70% by volume
Chemical and toxic substances:
Acids and alkalis, corrosive or bleaching substances
Disabling or incapacitating sprays
Radioactive material
Poisons, infectious or biological hazardous material
Fire extinguishers

which includes nothing of the nature of ski boots that would also not include bottles of duty free. It does however say that that list is not exhaustive. The ECJ ruled last year though ( http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5880811.ece ) that they were not allowed to have prohibited items on a list without publishing them.

As I've said many times over, I've never been refused having boots in my hand baggage (I've not been through Grenoble or Chambery recently), and I've done at least a dozen trips with them over the last two years. I've also worn boots on board several times previously (up to about 3 years ago), and once was asked to take them off, but was then told to put them in the overhead lockers.
snow report
GrahamN,
OK, I am sorry. You’re of course correct.

Next time I am stood in the queue at the check in for an EJ flight at 4:30am, and the check in staff tell me that I can’t take my boots in my hand luggage I will (of course) refer them to Article 254(2)of the European Community Treaty which states that my boots CAN be taken on board as hand luggage. (as the daft list could not take effect in law unless it had been published in the Official Journal of the EU)

Obvious ain’t it.

We and they know that a Community Regulation (specifically – in my boots case) Part (2(1) of Parliament and Council Regulation (EC) No 1049/2001) was b0ll0cks and if they (the check in staff) didn’t believe me that should refer to Skoma-Lux Case Number C-161/06 [2007] ECR I-10841, para 37.

That’ll do it – will also tell em that they are using Regulation (EC) No 662/2003 (civil aviation security) and it’s not binding.

Sure they’ll let me take my boots on then.

It’s really dead simple. EJ charge for lots of stuff. No worries. Why not pack your suitcase, then take out enough gear to make room for your boots and then put the stuff you have just taken out in your hand luggage. Well, seems simple to me anyway.

There are too many people who cause themselves problem when there is simply no need to. It’s a holiday. Relax. Play the airlines at their own game.
snow report
Wayne wrote:
Why not pack your suitcase, then take out enough gear to make room for your boots and then put the stuff you have just taken out in your hand luggage. Well, seems simple to me anyway.

Because I've put a lot of time and money into getting my boots to fit. Rentals will not do - I had to use some for a couple of hours last year when I forgot them going to a snowdome and after an hour it was agony. Anything else can be rented or easily replaced if luggage is delayed/lost - boots cannot. And don't say that doesn't happen - witness Dunk on a BASI course with old/borrowed gear because Thomsons couldn't get his luggage to him over two weeks after he returned to the UK.

Simples!
latest report
FFS, GrahamN do you never ever read the points you are arguing against? Once again you are discarding categorical evidence to continue your assertions in the face of all the facts. If your interpretation were correct, then the Easyjet Customer Help would say passengers are intitled to take boots as hand baggage. You lost, now face it. NehNeh wink
snow report
Yes I do read the points, which is why I said it was from the Customer Help database, not the T&Cs - which are as I quoted them. We have in the past had plenty of comments from Customer "help" that are in variance with T&Cs - so I think there is a fair argument, and you have made similar arguments of your own in the past (e.g. your argument about board bag only, vs having to pay for a separate item of luggage). The point is that that customer "help" is not only at variance with the T&Cs but also at variance with all established practice (except in the past at Bristol and occasionally at Liverpool)
snow conditions
GrahamN, sorry, just fancied using your words from another Easyjet thread on the same topic wink no offence intended Very Happy
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
ebbers wrote:

They do clearly state that the charge for sporting goods is "per item".

They are arguing that a set of skis is "an item", while you are arguing that the ski bag is "an item" regardless of what is in it.

Regardless of what they say, I can't recall ever seeing any airline requiring ski bags to be opened at check in, and the oversize baggage desks couldn't care less.

Second that I always take a 2 pairs in a double bag and it has never been queried even with Easyjet, whats the worst that can happen , they take another £37 off you, which if you were being honest you would have paid in the 1st place.
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
GrahamN, Why not pack your suitcase, then take out enough gear to make room for your boots and then put the stuff you have just taken out in your hand luggage. Well, seems simple to me anyway.

Why not just do what I do . Pack your boots in the case in the first place, then pack the rest of your stuff, weighing as you go along until you hit the 20 KG mark. Then pack your ski's put some stuff in there that cannot be damaged. Then pack your Hand luggage to about 5kg.

Works for Me, cant understand why you would pack your case then un pack to make for the boots which you knew were going in there all long Puzzled Razz Razz
ski holidays
As said many times on other threads it is not Easyjet check in staff who stop you taking boots in your hand luggage. It is airport security staff who stop you depending on the airport policy which varies depending on which airport and sometimes the mood they are in that day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy