Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POll Tignes / Vald'sere v Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
For those whom have been to both skis areas which would you say is best.

The two are generally supposed to be among the best skiing areas and apres ski

Your views?

for me Tignes 1 Verbier 0

keep the score going!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes 1 Verbier 1
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Espace Killy is better for a week, much more mileage skiing and variety. For a weekend blast Verbs has it every time (1 1/2 hours from Geneva as opposed to 3 1/2), and the nightlife fantastic if not exactly budget, but then neither is Vald. All have fantastic off-piste, but Verbs just edges it in the hairy chested extreme nutters hierarchy. Verbs & Vald are also extremely Fulham/Chelsea, Tignes much less so and has more budget accommodation (go figure), so that may influence you one way or another. Can't go far wrong and any of them, but if pushed I would choose Vald for a week and Verbs for a weekend and have a blast at both.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr John, I guess that'll be .... Espace Killy 2 Verbier 2

I'll add my vote for Val D'Isere - for the easy skiable by everyone links to enjoy the full area - not all of us a re good or confident enough skiers to brave the itinery runs and there is just something not right about going down in a lift; the modern lift system with plenty of express chairs, very few drags and no cable cars you have to walk up about 1000 steps to get to; and finally possibly the best nightlife I have experienced in the Alps..... there is a reason why I have been back every year for the last 5 years (although the Farinet did have a certain charm about it I have to admit) snowHead

So, it's Espace Killy 3 - Verbier 2
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Horses for courses but Verbier all day long for me.
3-3
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Espace Killy 4 - Verbier 3 wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Verbier is great for off-piste skiing, if you can put up with the trendies, the tories and the yobs in the 'village'. The 4 vallees marketing suggests it's a resort with huge amounts of piste skiing but a lot of it is a pain and not really worth it, except for some of the classic stuff up at Mont Fort. Some of the runs get seriously crowded and dangerous, especially in the chase for beer at the end of the day when the trendy hooligans frankly don't give a stuff about anyone else.

It all depends upon what you want. If it's piste skiing, then Tignes and Val will win it-better connected, more meanigful runs, some great vertical and it does have some fabulous lift accessed off piste, but like Verbier, the town is a real pain, full of Tory yobs and boorish public school antics. The locals must find many of the well off but uncultured English tourists a total pain.

For me, Verbier shades it, only because of the better off-piste in my opinion but on a personal level I wouldn't choose to go to any of these resorts anymore.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm voting for Verbier. A much greater sense of adventure if you leave the main lifts.

Given that kevin mcclean votes for Verbier too that makes it:

EK 4 - Verbier 5
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vdI and Tignes ALWAYS have snow

Verbier mostly has grass and rocks

(obviously a personal sob story in there)!

EK5 - V5
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've stayed in all 3 resorts & loved both ski areas.

However, if somebody offered me a free week in any of them, I would go for Verbier, can't really say why though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Verbier for me, never really got a feel for Val D'Isere, gnarlier off piste in Verbier.....EK5 - V7
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Verbier has many more variations of terrain and aspect but fewer kilometres of pistes

.....your choice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say Verbier, I love the place. Just got back from Tignes and there is massive amounts of piste, but as mentioned earlier Verbier has the adventure feel, plus much better choice for eating/boozing off the slopes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been to Verbier but have been to both Tignes and Val D'Isère. I preferred the skiing on the Tignes side, the pistes seem a bit more realistically graded with better grooming. But I found the town of Tignes dull and uninspiring. Val D'Isère is pretty and livelier but hugely expensive and you'll be surrounded by Brits.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, Not like in verbier, much!
latest report
I like mileage and variety when skiing and even though i also love the itinerary skiing in verbier My vote goes E.K.
E.K.6 - V7
latest report
If you want to ski piste then EK if you want to ski then Verbier. Yes Verbier is expensive like VdI but if you want budget options I'd imagine Nendaz, Vessonaz, Le Chable and Thyon/Les Masses are probably cheaper than Tignes.
ski holidays
Swirly, I haven't booked the accommodation whenever I have been to Nendaz or Veysonnaz but I doubt it was cheaper than Tignes. The Swiss apartments have all been high quality, I'm quite happy in a really small cheap one in Tignes.

My vote is for EK.
latest report
I ski both most seasons, but if I had to choose one it would be Verbier, no question.

EK7 - V8 (added rjs' score)
snow report
1969jma, it would have been helpful if you had said what type of skiing you want. Val d'Isere/Tignes has loads of pistes but few of them are blacks. It has plenty of challenging off piste gullies (as well as easier open bowls) but needs a guide to know where many of them are. They are also much more spread out. In Verbier the more hairy off-piste is packed together - though the last two times I went the Mont Gellé lift has been closed. The main blacks (I'd guess there were more than at Vd'I) are mostly now itineraries: ie not maintained except for avalanche control.
I'd vote Val d'Isere for repeated visits at different standards but I've been there so often I am now favouring Verbier for myself, since I am still discovering new things. However Verbier's more famous off piste does get skied out rather quickly now.
Another factor - there are many companies in Vd'I who will put you in groups to explore the off piste with a guide but I was unable to find anything similar in Verbier - you'd need to hire a guide privately.
ski holidays
Go to Val D'espair every time.
Not Verbier, you won't like it.

EK and 3V....just go there, certainly not Switz'

(and don't even THINK about Val D'Annivers....)
ski holidays
I liked them both equally as much although I didn't get to ski all of Espace Killy so can that be half a point each?
ski holidays
to add to snowball's question about what type of skiing, I would make an educated guess that 1969jma is not an off-piste knarly turbo nutter type, otherwise he would already know about Verbier and it's reputation. You can ski all the Verbier pistes in 2 days quite easily (not the so called 4 Valleys, but then it is one of the worst linked ski areas in Europe so really not worth doing), so if you're going for a week you'll be doing the same areas over and over again which will get dull, no matter how good they are. EK has brilliantly linked piste trails, and multiple options of red/blue for most routes so will suite a mixed group much better, and don't believe the Verbier tourist office when they try to pitch it as a good mixed ability resort, they're lying.
snow report
Dr John, I took it that 1969jma had been to both already? However, I agree with your points re: Verbier. I love it, but would be careful about who I recommended it to.
latest report
alan empty, same here, always have a great time but not for everyone. The other day I likened it to Brixton; brilliant fun if you know where you're going and don't mind the odd shock or surprise, but stick to Clapham if you want good clean and relatively safe fun.
ski holidays
Personally I prefer to be based in Val d'Isere rather than Tignes, since it does have an old village at its core and is a bit more central for the skiing. However, for beginners there is a problem of a lack of easy runs to get home.
latest report
I was instructing in EK at Xmas on piste. Love Offpiste too and havent been to Verbier
snow report
I much prefer Verbier but depends what you're after....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy