Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learnt to ski in a day... well kinda

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... It probably wasn't graceful, and may not have looked much like skiing to some of you folks, but it felt like skiing and was a lot of fun which is hopefully what counts.

Battled through the elements to make it to a "Learn to Ski in a Day" thingy at Chill Factor - truth be told the roads weren't too bad apart from the local roads near home (although I did nearly get beached on some ice on one side of the road on the way off Trafford Park).

Not sure whether it was an ego-boosting thing or not but the teacher seemed to think we made above average progress as a group, we were linking snowplough turns by 10.30, starting to work on parallel turns and traversing by 11 and think everyone was able to parallel/traverse down the main slope at the end of the day.

Lot of fun, slightly confused by how easy things seemed at first (seemed to be able to throw the skis into almost any old turn and they just "worked") - later I realised this was due to the lack of incline on the nursery slope and lower main slope lol. Once we got onto the steeper parts of the main slope it became obvious why good turns and traversing were necessary to stay in control - managed to stack it a few times down there which seemed appropriate as I thought skiing was supposed to involve falling over at some point.

Still, first ten minutes of the day was definitely the worst - if I never sidestep 20 feet up a hill again in my life it'll be too soon!

Only disappointment was not being allowed to keep going at the end of the day to practice the full hill a few more times as I was just getting some more confidence on that when he had to finish.

Oh, and the other major problem, that my ski holiday isn't until the end of February - not sure I'll cope! Think I'll be hitting the new slope at Hemel to get some more practice/(hit) in before then.

Suspect I may be becoming a fully-fledged snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BigSoy, You could always come to the snowHead's meet at Hemel on Saturday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, was thinking I might last til Sunday for Hemel as my body is telling me (through twinging groins, tight hamstrings and tired funny outside-back bottom muscles that I didn't know I had) driving down south tomorrow could be hard work.

Might ponder it though...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounded like a great time for you!!!!!! I've been a ski instructor for many years and sounds like your on your way to a good season of skiing!!! Keep up that good attitude and just take it a bit at a time. Keep practicing and learning to ski in control before you try to conquer to much of that mountain and it will continue to be a great experience as you progress. Have fun and " ski you later!!!!!!". Bobt Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you were linking snowplough turns at 10:30 (after a 9:00 start?) and working on parallels at 11:00, then there is no way your instructor was trying to give you an ego-boost. That is excellent progress! Took me over a week to get that far Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm, well, the aches are definitely here this morning... still, all worth it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BigSoy, Out of interest who was your instructor? I work there so will know who it is.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well done, sounds like you made good progress!

If you liked it in there you'll love it on the mountain Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BigSoy, curious why you went to chill factore if your near Hemel?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The teaching there is usually excellent. Great that you got on so well Very Happy

There is a very good reason that you dont get any 'free time' at the end! After that length of time a lot of people are a lot more tired than they think they are especially being new to skiing and can spoil a good day with a silly fall or sprain. So its for a good reason not just them being mean Toofy Grin

Ps. You are clearly now addicted, there is no known cure, you will spend the rest of your life earning money to go skiing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
There is a very good reason that you dont get any 'free time' at the end! After that length of time a lot of people are a lot more tired than they think they are...

This is what's worrying me about my four-hour lesson tomorrow at the Sheffield dry ski slope. I've already got a niggling injury in my foot from a tackle at a football match four months ago and now I've strained my calf muscle somehow - it's absolutely going to destroy me tomorrow!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skir67 - Andy - ski racing chap - looks a bit like a double for Ralph Little... Don't tell him I said that though! Teaching was good - think what I was impressed by that it was overly technical - I was in a group who all had a reasonable for the snow and so we were able to get lots of practice and runs in and not spend loads of time being lectured - for me that's a preferred learning style.

skimottaret - Am visiting with the 'rents on extended xmas holidays in the frozen North, hence Chill Factor rather than Hemel. Will definitely be making use of Hemel to get some more practice in before holiday at the end of Feb.

The tiredness thing is probably relevant, but I do have a reasonable level of fitness (not what it once was but the will remains pretty strong) and felt I was just getting the hang of skiing the whole slope in full control so another few runs at that would've been good value in terms of confidence etc but it wasn't to be. Not to worry, might hit Hemel at some point this weekend if I manage to make it down South again.

And yes, I am also certainly addicted, one of the sports that sort of feels natural and love the outdoors and a bit of a challenge too so can't wait for the Alps now Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BigSoy, Ah yes, Andy, great skier, up there with the best in England in slalom at the mo I believe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skir67 wrote:
BigSoy, Ah yes, Andy, great skier, up there with the best in England in slalom at the mo I believe.

Yeah, mentioned he'd been british champion at downhill racing a couple of times (slalom?) which is pretty cool - probably wasted on us but still Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

so another few runs

LOL yep you are addicted Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy