Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton Velluga

Poster: A snowHead
Off to St A on 24th and heard a guide is mandatory if u want 2 do the north face of the Valluga, is that right ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolutely.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IIRC you cannot even get in the bubble lift thing without a guide with you.

Someone will correct me if that is wrong...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you have skis then you need a guide to sign you in. If you don't and just want to take photos from the weather station you don't need a guide.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it worth the expense ? Also tryin to find out about cat skiing in the area, woul like to try that while we is there. Hav u come across that on ur travels Noza ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kes, these guys are the usually recommended guides for st. anton..

http://www.pistetopowder.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You need a guide. You can also walk up on foot, which relieves the lift comany of any liability, so they won't stop you.
I did it once about twenty years ago while doing a course with the German Alpine Club, DAV. The entry is a bit hairy, and the first few meters are quite steep. Other than that it's not all that amazing. Not sure it would be worth hiring a guie just for that!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kes, I agree with bertie bassett have a chat to some of the local guides, Piste to Powder or the Arlberg school http://www.powderclub.at/ . The routes off the back of the Valluga are a lovely place to ski if you know what you are doing and the conditions are right, but there are lots of other good off piste routes too. Obviously no idea whether the conditions would be right (or right for you) at the end of the month (possibly a little early in the season? depends how much snow comes between now and then). I've not heard of cat skiing in the Arlberg. But drop one of the guiding outfits a line.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
North face of the Valluga WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO YEAH BABY!

Kes, Are you any good at skiing, can you ski knee deep powder without falling over? Can you ski in a controlled manner on all angle slopes in icy/changeable conditions? If so then have no fear there is only one dangerous part and that is the start to the Valluga where you need to concentrate on a 35% slope where falling is not a good option as about 25metres slide there is the edge of the mountain and a 150m drop.

The North face run down to Zurs is superb as often it has great untouched powder and a serene silence as not many groups do it on a day to day basis.

I skiied with Harry Wolf who is the head of the snowboard school but is also a great skier, I advise asking at the ski school with the yellow/blue jackets for Mr Wolf
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A bit early in the Season to ski the North Face.

Traditionally you would not ski the North Face of Valluga until at least Mid February

EarlyLast Season the North Face Avalanched (massive) for the first time in many years (triggered by a local guided group from Lech) claiming the life of an American.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does the "guide only" policy apply to both Valluga lifts? And whats it like from the the top of the Valluga 1 lift back down to Galzig/Gampen areas cos the piste map only shows a short red to the top of the little Valluga drag lift...?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guide only policy only applies for the top Valluga lift. You can access most of that area from the top of the Schindlergraf Bahn chairlift if you dont want to wait for the Valuga.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No. Valluga I is open to all (but gets very busy).

There is only one piste (red 19) to the small drag but this allows access to the off piste trails 15 and 16 (marked by doitted lines) which are a blast.

However, you can get to both of these from the top of the Schindlergrat chairlift as well which is less busy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KES u talk of doing the north face of the valluga,now surelly bunny runs will be more ur scene,if u can ski lattrigg then i think the north face will be a doddle fella Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only the (tiny) third stage of the Valluga Lifts is with guide only (if you take skis with you). The North face takes you to the Zurs ski area and is the start of a good circuit to Lech and back.
If you ski with Piste to Powder guides (mentioned above) they will put you with a group of similar standard, which makes it much more affordable, However they are still fairly expensive.
As has been stated there is a huge range of off-piste skiing available, many routes requiring train or bus (or taxi) to get you back to your start point. I've skied there four times, almost entirely off-piste, and there is still lots I haven't done.
snow report
Not that difficult a run IMO, the only reason you need a guide is because of the cliff. I guess the lift company got fed up with accidents up there.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info guys! Yup i have a lesson with pistetopowder booked, sadly they could only fit me in on the second to last day so wont have too much time to put my new-found powder prowess into practice! But 90 euros for a whole day, group of 4...pretty ok value if you ask me!

Is there much decent off piste to be had over on the Rendl hill?

Cheerz!
ski holidays
If it has snowed. Then yes. All over. And tends to be quieter. But do take care. Much of the terrain should definitely not be attempted without a guide. And people have got in very bad trouble skiing off the back of Rendl in the wrong conditions - but if the snow is good there should be plenty to play in on the front side.
ski holidays
shiva71, the ski school next to the Gampen chair also runs the Powder Club (at a very similar cost) for guided off piste.

The reason why the Valluga is closed to the general ski public is that as per law they need to provide at least one pisted run. Due to the steepness the pistenbully cannot get up there.
snow conditions
I went up the Valluga 2 years ago, without a guide, without having to sign anything. I didn't actually ski back down as I was knackered and just wanted some pictures, but I could have done if I wanted? Am I missing something here?
snow conditions
anotherproblem, If you took your skis up with you they made a mistake. Perhaps they thought you were part of a guided group.
snow report
Possibly but I know my dad also went up and skied back down Puzzled they must have been having an off day!
latest report
Your father skied back down on the lift side? I've never seen tracks there, though it would be perfectly possible (if short). The north face takes you miles away to the resort of Zurs.
snow report
Is there a second lift I'm missing or something???
snow conditions
anotherproblem, Valluga 1 is a largish cable car from the top of the Galzig cable car / gondola that goes over a huge valley, Valluga 2 is a small tin box for a few people up to a restaurant with viewing platform over a sheer cliff, another 200m or so up. Hope this helps.
snow report
stevew, yeh, I went up in the Valluga 1 to a large concrete type building, I didn't notice another one but that must be it.
latest report
The Area available (is huge. This map gives some idea The Valluga is right in the middle and you can see the tiny (6 person) lift at the top. However they have severely distorted the distance between the St Anton skiing and Zurs, which is much more than they show.

Some easily accessed steep off piste gullies off the Schindlergraat lift (though skied out in this picture):
ski holidays
snowball, Those gullies are my favourite playground in St.A Especially the one just to the right of the chairlift Cool There's a bunch of nice ones on the other side leading straight down into Schindlerkar as well Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few years a go I started a topic on off piste around the Arlberg & never finished it .........

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=391415&highlight=arlberg+2008+2009#391415

I also wrote up some stuff with Pictures in last year (2008/2009) or may of been the previous season (2007/2008) Arlberg Snow Report on the skiable variants off the Valluga.
I cant seem to find the info through the search function so maybe someone can try, its definitely on this site somewhere Very Happy

Here some stuff I posted sometime ago

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=154956&highlight=valluga+variant#154956

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/sprec000/valluga.html
latest report
Thanks for the replys guys, will b havin a guide if conditions allow so hopeing to get north face ticked off the list.
ski holidays
View looking down top, steep bit, of the Valluga:

View back from half way (Valluga in distance}
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
View looking down top, steep bit, of the Valluga:

View back from half way (Valluga in distance}
Lotsa gut wrenching stuff in that report Shocked
I don't remember it as being quite that exciting, but it was along time ago so maybe my memory fails me!
snow conditions
Kes wrote:
Off to St A on 24th and heard a guide is mandatory if u want 2 do the north face of the Valluga, is that right ?

That's right but IMHO it's a trophy run as there are better runs to do in the Alberg. The north face of the Valluga is best done in the right conditions.
A good guide will take you to the right places depending on the current conditions.
ski holidays
The first 100m scared the shit out of me, and a guide doesn't control your brain or your legs
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:

I don't remember it as being quite that exciting, but it was along time ago so maybe my memory fails me!

It isn't really that extreme but you know how journalists like to talk up the danger rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy