Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How old to start nippers skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Les Arcs in march and the wee fella will be a few months shy of his 4th birthday, wondering what the consensus is on wether he could be in ski school or if he's too young and he'd be better off in the creche/ nursery?
Any users experiences welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on how strong he is - the ESF Club PiouPiou will take them that age and is only for 2.5 hours anyway. If you feel he is strong enough and has co-ordination then I would consider it. How is he on stairs - someone told me that that was a good indication on co-ordination. Can he do one foot/one step yet, or close to it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes, he has no problems with stairs, can rattle round on his balance bike!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We start them at 3 in Canada!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 is the magic number!!!!

only another 18 months to go for our wee one.... not that i'm pressuring her into a sport she won't enjoy! he he.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My eldest started just before her fourth birthday. My youngest was only 3 yrs 1 month when we went for New Year last week. I was a bit worried but thought I'd take the chance. Anyhow she loved it. She went to ESF in Belle Plagne, they had lots of stuff to make it interesting in the little snowplay area. They also have a hut with a telly and an extra member of staff in there so the kids can go in for a break whenever they wanted. They treat it as an introduction to skiing and dont push them at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, and I'd put a few treats in her pocket each morning, mini biscutis or a small choc bar. She only did mornings.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hmmm, chocolate, the great motivator AND pacifier! looks like he's skiing then! Thanks folks!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been brainwashing him with Warren Miller dvd's too, (actually that might not have been a good idea, he might be thinking 30ft drops are the norm!!!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
don't ever let kids start skiing until they are 20 and can pay their own way. If you start them between 3 and 4 (as we did) they will love it straight away and you will be committed to paying for 17 years of skiing holidays. You also find if you start them too early, they very quickly become faster and more stylish than you which brings on a mid life crisis more quickly than you were expecting.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How good is your wee fella at being left with others? It can be quiet upsetting if they are not used to the whole thing about Mummy/Daddy being back for them in a few hours? They also need to be dry and able to ask for teh toilet if they need it. Top tip, have a second pair of sallopettes handy and some handwash!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
He's at nursery 4 days a week for 6 hours or so, so should be okay there, the fact that he's going to start ripping his old dad on the piste is something I'll just have to get used too unfortunately!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mouth Junior turned 3 a month ago and has had 5 lessons and today skied the blue into the village with instructor in front. 3 is a good age and we decided on private lessons which as been a great decision.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My littlest at 4 was too young (even with a private lesson in the mix) - she was just focused on falling over and being silly. She obvs got a bit cold and miserable in the snow garden and opted out on a few days (this was fine that year as husband wasn't skiing). 8 months later with a few lessons on plastic under her belt she loved it and was out of the snow garden with her 'Flocon' class on the 3rd day... I was a bit of a nervous parent taking her out on my own in the afternoon but this was my problem rather than hers!

I think it really depends on the child - E is not nervous about being left at all generally, had her big sister with her and still created a fuss when she went.... maybe it was just too much new stuff all at once? I would def give it a go at 4 but be prepared to have a fall back option so that you don't need to force them to do something if they don't take to it.... last thing you want to do is put them off
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
here's a kid thats got some sweet carving going on at 5 years old - puts many an adult to shame..

http://youtube.com/v/L1XRgrcSY_w
snow report
Quote:

If you start them between 3 and 4 (as we did) they will love it straight away and you will be committed to paying for 17 years of skiing holidays.

Only 17 years? that's optimistic; we just paid for my son and his family to have their first family ski holiday. The 6 year old started skiing (private lessons - no english speaking groups here) and got on well. We wondered about the 3.5 year old but concluded he wasn't ready - he enjoyed toboganning but showed no enthusiasm for skiing. I think we were wise to wait - he'll enjoy it more next year.

Weather makes a difference. Our 6 year old grand-daughter learnt at Christmas - weather was OK, not too cold, snow was OK. At New Year, when it poured with rain, she'd have hated it I'm sure. And a couple of days ago - or tomorrow - when it was freezing, with very high windchill, she'd probably have hated it too.
ski holidays
bigpig, my bro started just before he was 4 and I was 5. Go for it.

bertie bassett, she is r4eally ripping it isn't she. Coool!
snow conditions
Arianne is seriously impressive! wish I was that good now!! thanks for all the feedback folks, we'll be giving him a go but leaving the option of bailing out when/ if he's not into it I suppose. Hopefully Arcs in late march should be clement, so that'll help.
latest report
We started ours at 3 in a 1hr fun lesson and progress can be seen by checking out the vids, although no where near as good as Ariane

age 4
http://youtube.com/v/rOyOFG0yuzI

age 5
http://youtube.com/v/6mOjlnHgH_o&feature=channel

age 51/2
http://youtube.com/v/6mOjlnHgH_o&feature=channel

Depends on the child, weather, how strong they are and whether they want to do it
Good luck
snow report
Here is #2son, on his first birthday:
http://youtube.com/v/vgngUx0laBA

Progressed a little since then though! At aged almost two:
http://youtube.com/v/O1xovYeMdUI (first half) (co-performer is his big brother....)

No video of him at aged 3, as he's not got there yet!

(and apologies to those who have seen these before)
snow report
RobW > How old is 'big brother'? he is amazing.
snow report
i wish id started skiing little, im 16 now and only went on my first ski holiday in zell am see dec 09 Smile . The kids there seemed fearless.
ski holidays
bigpig, where abouts in Arcs are you going?

SmallW started skiing at aged 3 in Arc1950, with terrible weather, but they looked after them very well. She's now 8, has been going back ever since: has 12 weeks under her belt, she is neater than me in the moguls, it's a struggle to keep up when she 's on the boarder cross and as for the park.... she's on her own. Fortunately she is quite slight, so lardy old dad uses gravity effectively, and keeps up / catches up on the straight bits when we are out together.

So as above, you can start them at 3, but if you want to keep your dignity and wallet intact, you might want to find an excuse to make 'em wait...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 8-01-10 10:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My boy, Charlie, did a week in Piou Piou last year at 3 yrs 1 month. By that, I mean he had 5 afternoons, and probably about an hour or so actually on the slope - which I presume is fairly standard.

He had great fun. Really wanted to go every day, and came home every evening with tales of going 'very fast' and 'crashes'. On our final day, when I got to take him on the slope, he 'knew' how to snow plough, but chose to not do so - hence he looked very out of control, but he laughed all the way. By contrast, my friends little girl at 4 1/2 who had done the same lessons exhibited controlled descent of the slope in perfect snowplough.

Charlie returns to Piou Piou this year, whereas the girl moves up a class.

Really looking forward to taking him back this year, and seeing how it gets on.... at least the snow here has got him excited about the snow!

Our second boy, Ben, is 1 1/2 this year... so it'll be another two seasons before he gets into ski lessons. Our experience with Charlie thou, means we will not shy away from putting him lessons at 3.

So, to answer the OP question - yes, put him in lessons - at this age, it is just an extension of nursery and snow play anyway!
latest report
The age to start children skiing does very much depend on the child but 4 ish is a good guide line!!! At this age they can't ski all day but some practice is a great idea after some lunch and a rest...................children love to be a part of your skiing experiance!! A private nanny service would be a great option, then they will take and pick up from ski school and cater for, play with your child in the afternoon. A good service will bring your child to the nursery slopes to meet you for a ski to, leaving you with more time on the slopes and being able to share the amazing skiing experiance with your child/children!!! Enjoy your holiday!!
snow report
The best thing to do is to make sure that you get an instructor that will make it a fun experience for your little one. I usually explain to a parent before teaching a young one is that the biggest challenge is keeping the childs attention and patience during the lesson. We may during the lesson make a snow angel in the snow or draw a figure of a snow man in the snow or anything that might work so that they look foreward to continue to learn to ski in the future. The younger they are the harder their attention span usually is but by age 4 or especially 5 their muscle development becomes better and this will vary from one child to another. it's definitely and exciting and fun time and with a lot of future experiences to enjoy!!!!! Have fun and "ski you later!!!!"
snow report
fizz, Big brother was 7 when the second video was taken.
snow report
We started our twin daughters at 3 with a friend who's a local instructor

then went with ESF in Vallandry at 4

now grandparents club together and pay for private lessons and they career about all over the paradiski domainel with their instructor from ESF 1600
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A little while before Sideways_Junior is big enough to go and play in the snow seeing he's just 3 weeks old at the moment. Anyone got any thoughts on when he can join his father on the DarkSide? What are the youngest boarders you've seen? There was a very young lad at HH when i was there last year probably no more than 5 or 6.
snow report
The Ankle Biters can start very young IMHO, so long as this only relates to playing in ski kit in the "Snow Garden" with the odd foray down the slope on skis.

If you've got a naturally coordinated and / or very strong child then they'll be able to ski under 4. For a small 5 year old, it could still be a challenge, though.

Snowploughing under control seems very similar to riding a bike without stabilisers - very few do it under 3 and a half, but given the opportunity, pretty much any 5 and a half year old should be in with a good shout.

My main concern is when 7 year old daughter kicks me into touch for real skiing with her Mum! Younger daughter seems more suited to my more gentle approach to the noble art. Smile
ski holidays
JimW, we're staying with snowchateaux in peisey nancroix (i think!)
youtube clips are great, thanks folks!
ski holidays
was in a telecabine a couple of weeks back with some mates and a local guy with his daughter. We got chatting to him as the girls thought the kid was oh so cute.

He had started teaching her at 2.5 himself but had decided after 2 weeks to put her into the local ESF group for wee kids. This was her second season and she was already quite happy with snow plow apparently
latest report
snowhouse, exactly the points I ws going to make!

Also- how good will you and the Mrs be at leaving the little darling to it and not hanging about...
snow report
snowhouse, exactly the points I ws going to make!

Also- how good will you and the Mrs be at leaving the little darling to it and not hanging about...
ski holidays
It transpires that ESF won't take kids for lessons below 4 yrs at our resort, however there's a creche facility with 'snowcats' which I assume is an introduction to skiing for an hour (Im hoping like pioupiou mentioned earlier) as part of the three hour session, any experiences out there?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy