Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens Passes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Staying in Val Thorens for a week this year, with family of four who are all comfortable on reds and blacks. We usually stay in Les Arc 1800 and feel there is enough skiing on the 190K of runs the Les Arcs area pass (not paradiski), for a week.
I am trying to decide if we should buy a Val Thorens (+Orelle) pass or a whole three valleys pass. We will be buying an 8 day family pass.
The Val Thorens pass covers about 160K, but the terrain looks less varied than in Les Arcs. However, we have to be in Val T for the ski school pick up at 12:30, and will then take lunch at our self catering apartment for 45mins.
I was planning to get the St Martin De Belleville valley pass, but they don’t do a family pass version.
I guess I am asking:
a) Will I be able to make use of a 3 valley pass given our lunch time restrictions
b) Is there enough skiing in Val Thorens only.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The difference between the VT pass and the 3V pass is EURO 60 each. Given a free hand, I'd say it's worth having the full 3V - there is so much to do , it would be a shame to be restricted.

Having said that, if you need to be back in VT every day at lunchtime, you won't be skiing in Courchevel in reality so VT and Saint Martin would be fine - if you are all good skiers, then you'd do VT over a few days. I'm kinda surprised that SMDB don't do a family pass - might be worth calling to see if they do, but it's not on the website. Did a fair bit of SMDB and was pleasantly surprised - my 10 year old loved Jerusalem and had to do it a couple of times to get it out of his system.

3 thoughts if they don't do the SMDB family pass

1. You could buy the VT/Orelle pass and you then buy a couple of day's upgrade when you want to go outside - straightforward to do at the lift pass kiosk
2. Buy the full 3V pass for the extra EURO 60 each as this would give you Meribel and SM (and Courchevel on the odd day) - Lac De La Chambre and Mont Vallon are then in scope
3. Skip ski school if the gang are all good skiers, take a light lunch (or picnic) when you go exploring and spend the money you save on ski school to get the full 3V pass (and lunch) and have the whole experience

For me, I'd do option 3 every time. I can start at the bottom of the Orelle Valley at 9:30 and be in the middle of Courchevel for just after 11 so if you are in VT, you'd be able to explore the full length of 3V comfortably.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alti - dude, This all makes sense, add to that the weather could be a lot better over in Meribel on occasions and the 3V option gets my vote.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done VT with kids in ski school and am familiar with the lunchtime situation. I don't yet ski many blacks, but found that the VT/Orelle pass was sufficient for a week - you could just about do the Orelle valley and back again in a half day and get back in time for ski school pickup. Without ski school 1/2 day I'd suggest the 3V pass, but with Ski school I don't think I'd waste cash on the big pass. Conversely we are doing Les Arc 1800 this year and are going with the pass you have been using Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree that with the ski school restrictions the Belleville valley pass (ie Val T + Orelle, Les Menuires and St Martin de Belleville) might be your best bet.

That liftpass alone covers half of the pistes in the 3 Valleys (ie 300km of the 600km total). wink

It's a surprisingly extensive valley (or two, if you include Orelle!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
8 days, rapidly improving kids, go for the 3v family pass.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster, Another vote for the 3V familly pass. If you are considering an 8 day pass, of those only 6 will be standard ski school. You'll have two free days to roam. On the afternoons you will be still be able to pop over to the Meribel valley with a 3v pass. It will open up route alternative as you ski down and up the VT.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of advice Happy
looks like it is swinging towards the 3V pass. What might swing it for me in the end is the weather / snow conditions – my trip is at Easter. If it looks like being poor weather / visibility, I understand that there is some tree lined stuff over in the Meribel, on the other hand if the snow is poor low down, then no point.
Decisions Descision
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to VT for the last 3 Easter holidays with my twin boys (now Cool & in my experience you won't make use of the full 3V pass + there's more than enough to ski locally.

Given you're going to ski school & stopping for lunch, you'll be limited for time so getting to Courcheval will be difficult.

Also, unless there's some new snow, the routes to Meribel will be hard, worn & icy so difficult for kids. Even worse getting back!

For the last two years, its also been mushy in the afternoon at Easter. Watch which slopes face south & the routes to SMdB which can be tricky at that time of year

Better to go higher around VT & dropping over into Orelle where the conditions are usually much better.

I usually have one day "dad's only skiing" and just buy a upgrade pass for the day if I want to have a trip of the 3V by myself - hence I know what the conditions are like.

Guess it depends on how old & how good your kids are but l not worth the money IMHO
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy