Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sun Peaks, Canada - anyone been ? or have other options

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of heading out to Canada again this year (and not Whistler) and were wondering if anyone knows Sun Peaks? was there in autumn about 6 years back on a fly drive trip but never skied there.
what is the village like, transfers etc
whether it would keep 2 peopl interested for 7-10 days (both intermediates and can deal with blue runs and easier single blacks)

Or
has anyone got other options?

thanks to all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been to Sun Peaks, but can certainly recommend nearby Big White, especially for intermediates. You certainly wouldn't be short of interesting runs there.
You could also consider Silver Star, but that would appeal more to experts who like steep gladed skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
uktrailmonster, Thanks for this. Heard good things about Big White from others too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
we're doing a twin centre between big white and sun peaks in feb which would be worth looking at, that way you get a bit of variety, though both seem to be well suited to all levels.

transfers are either a long bus or a domestic flight to kampaloops (sun peaks) and then Sun peaks have a shuttle from kampaloops on certain days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
papasmurf, what tour operator are you going with if you don't mind me asking?
Are you going for 2 weeks?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
HI

We are just back from six nights at Sun Peaks. We stayed in Settler's crossing at a lovely condo found through allura direct (it was actually british owned). Condo lovely and had hot tub, ski in and out, but not so convienient for village at night (this didn't bother us).

We liked Sun Peaks, its the second largest ski area in BC and skiing sounds like to would be perfect for you. Village was fairly large by BC stanadards with lots of eating out options, rink, outdoor pools, quite a few shops and some small tubing.

We have also been to Silver Star and Big White and like both of them too. Fairly similarish. Plus points for Sun Peaks;
bigger ski area, more eating out options. Plus points for others; better snowfall if you are into powder, better glades, tubing is better at both. Of course Sun PEaks has Nancy Greene and we had lunch opposite her, but you would only appreciate this if you lived over here and had kids in the Nancy Greene program

You'll have a great time at Sun Peaks, but I suspect you would at the others too. Best up would be a 2 week 2 centre combo. All the resorts offer horse sleigh rides , snow mobiling, dog sledding, cross country skiing and snowshoeing on the side.

Can't really comment on transfers as we are brits living in Calgary and so drive. I wouldn't recommend flying to calgary if you are only going for 7-10 days. We were delayed 1hr 45mins whilst they shut the highway 1 coming home for avalanche control . This is not unheard of in the Revelstoke area. Think Sun Peaks is about 4hrs from Vancouver or 45 mins from Kamloops. BW and SS could fly to Kelowna.

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions fire away!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob and sharon, twice we've done a week at Big White followed by a week at Sun Peaks, which was a good combination. I think 2 weeks at either place might be a bit of a long time. Both times we went with Ski Independence who were great - there is a shuttle minibus from Big White to Sun Peaks twice a week, although you have to book in advance. Just ask if you have any specific questions. Sun Peaks is about an hour's transfer from Kamloops airport and Big White about the same, perhaps 45 mins, from Kelowna. I think it was about 4 or 5 hours drive from BW to SP.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob and sharon, Once you've got quotes from tour operators, check out flight and accommodation prices yourself. It's often far cheaper doing it yourself for those kind of resorts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have done Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks combination twice, going with Ski Safari and loved it. I prefered Sun Peaks to the others, but that is probably due to that fact that I had got over my jet lag by the time I got there so could stay awake in the evenings Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey, I spent 3 weeks there as a friend has built a house there. In Canada I have also skied Whistler (7 times), Big White, Lake Louise and Sunshine.

Sun Peaks is great for intermediate skiers. It has enough terrain to entertain. You can also do a Sat ski race each week which is a bit of fun.

You can spend a week skiing there no problem. If you want an extra challenge, do 7 days in Sun Peaks then 3 days in Revelstoke, which is 4 hours up the road.

Getting there is easy. Fly to Kamloops then a 1.5hr bus up the hill. They leave from the airport.

Pro's:
    Quite a big ski area
    Good cheap ski school. My wife had 2 weeks of group lessons, of which 7 of the 10 days were private because she was the only beginner/intermediate booked.
    Best grooming on the planet
    Great value
    Friendly locals who will go skiing with you and invite you lunch and dinner
    Good value in the ski shops

Con's:
    Quite a sleepy village. If you are looking for a party, this is not the place. Whistler is.
    Small village but quaint.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
papasmurf has booked with Ski Independence. They've been fantastic and sorted out a better deal than we could get independently. They found us great flights (13 nights only because of time off and the best price) with Air Canada flying into Calgary and onto Kelowna for Big White and back from Kamloops (from Sun Peaks) to Calgary.

We haven't been before but it looks great.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy