Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

I'm thinking of Glencoe this weekend.

Anyone know what the snow is like there just now. IE the cover compared to Grampian. I dont want to be rockhopper on my new skis.
The alt is Glenshee.

Anyone else fancy going?

Don't mean hang out just "Hello" over lunch.

Cheers
Bob, Glasgow
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would that be lunch in the Plateau Chateau?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
glasgowcyclops, reading between the (fence) lines, I think the cover is exceptional at Gorm and Lecht, very good elsewhere. The weather forecast is about as good as it could be. I think Glencoe is a good choice for the weekend as Glenshee and Cairngorm are most likely going to be heeeeeaaaaving.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we're heading up to cairngorm. as above though, it's probably going to be a tight squeeze in the car park so heading up really early.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My mother in law stays closer to the lecht so could overnight there, however, probably give glencoe a try. I always go skiing in Norway, Tried the lecht thought it was great on Boxing day. Tried C'gorm on the 27th and it was way too busy. I'll pass on there. Should try glencoe to give them a bit of support.

So looks like the lecht (3 hours drive) or Glencoe 1.5hours.

Ernst Goldsmith, Where is the PC? Happy Is tha the funnicular stop at C'gorm?

Cheers
bob
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Things you don't see every day:

MWIS wrote:
Headline, Cairngorms National Park and Monadhliath

Mostly fine. Light winds.

Shocked

Sod it, I'm going skiing. Cool
snow report
 brian
brian
glasgowcyclops, the on mountain caff at the Coe. Rebuilt a few years ago with a fancy decking area, but still retains a certain ambience. Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You will find me at The Lecht tomorrow, Cairngorm Saturday (staying in Aviemore so should get up there nice and early) and Nevis on Sunday (if I'm not too knackered) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
glasgowcyclops, The snow at Glenshee is super at the moment, just get there early on Saturday morning.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was at Glenshee on Monday great conditions long queues and now I am working this weekend Evil or Very Mad

Hope you all have a great time (gritted teeth Very Happy )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some pix from today on CairnGorm Mountain:

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=576
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II, Some of my gear is in Livingston. So I'll need to get it forst, but I'll either be in Glencoe or Nevis on Sat or Sun.

How do I post and image?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all.

If you are in Glencoe or Nevis at the weekend say hello.

Demon helmet.
Red Lange boots
Black Rossi Zenith Z10s
CEBE goggles

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you look just like this guy i saw skiing once! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, Who ? Happy
snow report
did you have a pic?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Cairngorm was epic today, literally ski anywhere!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

My mother in law stays closer to the lecht

Strange isn't it that the above means something entirely different to us south of the border? Puzzled
ski holidays
If you were in any doubt about this weekend, just do it, but get there early. This amazing photo by Steven McKenna sums it up:

Where that boarder is landing, there is boulders the size of small cars... Today it's a ride anywhere powder bowl. We're moving from epic, to historic, get up Sat or Sunday if you can, a South East gale forecast for mid-week, will pile huge volumes of snow off the tops into the Ski Area so once it settles down, yet more freshies!
snow conditions
Cairngorm just updated their website , another 10cm of fresh has fallen overnight with no wind (they have now had 185cm of snow since xmas). The team are currently ploughing the roads and car park, should be a great day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just now 8am I'm having my morning Porridge (the best start and because I forgot bread yesterday for breakfast)

In 10 mind I'm off from Glasgow to Glencoe for the 1st time. Quick stop for munchies in tyndrum (support the locals).

Then off to the slopes. Woooooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

PS under my helmet I'm Bald and I have one eye.

Cheers
Bob
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS under my helmet I'm Bald and I have one eye.

Hmmmmmm I just realised that this will be picked up by the "smutheads" Happy

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
Have a great time everyone - hope car access and parking is good. Let us know how you got on.
snow report
Winterhighland - fantastic photo !
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Some pics from yesterday:

snow report
Great pics Brian

I had a great day at Glencoe today.

My new skis are a pretty scored after a few rocky encounters.

Fell about 4 times doing about 35-40mph. Well it felt like that. Happy

Fell at 20mph later because my legs hurt.

Brilliant day.

Bob
ski holidays
Without trying to suggest anything absurd (maybe naive), but with last season's epic conditions and what appears to be another great season so far, will the subsequent net effect see sufficient interest being resurrected in Scotland to better financially secure the immediate to mid-term future of skiing in the region?
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:
last season's epic conditions

If you are referring to the same Scotland that I skied last season, Puzzled I remember conditions not being epic but mediocre actually although 'mediocre' isn't a euphemism for bad. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
last season's epic conditions

If you are referring to the same Scotland that I skied last season, Puzzled I remember conditions not being epic but mediocre actually although 'mediocre' isn't a euphemism for bad. wink

Hmmm, have to confess to not following conditions other than in a passing interest kind of way, but this thread from Snow Reports last season seemed to suggest more enthusiasm for conditions than perhaps has been the norm over more recent history?
snow report
Chasseur, don't confuse enthusiasm with epicness as while there is usually enthusiasm for snowsports in Scotland, it's despite a natural seasonal variability which is more prone to the low altitude and maritime position of the mountains than the high Alpine resorts. Last season was definitely mediocre in my book i.e. average, unexceptional, run-of-the-mill etc etc but I for one will always be enthusiastic if I have a great day on the mountain and snow doesn't have to cover every nook and cranny to make it so. In fact, wall-to-wall level snow presents the least challenging terrain for skiing and luckily in Scotland, places like Glencoe are enriched by rock butresses and gullies etc to make more of a natural playpark when the cover remains uneven. I think it was season 2006/2007 when its 'Haggis Trap' was buried so deep that it disappeared entirely making a less interesting exit from one of the main runs at the top of the mountain where normally you are forced through a steepish rock doorway with a big lip at the end.

The thread you pointed to illustrates the remarkably different snow line and snow volume even in the mid and late season photos than what we have right now but then again, what we have could all but disappear given a couple of weeks of mild, wet and windy. I've just paid for my Glencoe passes for tomorrow and I'll take some new photos and post them here in the evening for comparison. Little Angel
latest report
Those are such great photos, brian. I've never seen the landscape look so magnificent.

I heard a park ranger on BBC radio on the midnight news saying there'd been no wind for 3 weeks, or at least I think that's what he said. Did all that snow really come down without blowing?
snow report
Last season had a period of very good snow, but it was shortlived as it was followed by mild weather straight afterwards so the good conditions weren't around for long.
snow report
Since Jan, feb and the 1st 2 weeks in March are traditionally the coldest up here we are hopefully heading for an amazing year.

Off to Norway on friday to compare. Happy
Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
Glenshee conditions yesterday outstanding I have jsut posted in the snow reports section.
No photies I'm afraid.
Loved looking at brians,
Yesterday it was overcast for much of the day but the clouds broke occasionally for epic views.
snow report
Chasseur, here's the view from the Plateau Chateau at Glencoe today compared with the same view from March last year. This is a good sign as Glencoe is normally in best condition by March. Very Happy More pics from today here ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1830

Today ...

March last year ...
snow report
Nice pis moffatross,

I think I fell coming down there. Happy
PS ther Burgers were good on Saturday.

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
Winterhighland wrote:
South East gale forecast for mid-week, will pile huge volumes of snow off the tops into the Ski Area so once it settles down, yet more freshies!

Hmm, I'm thinking of trying to get up next week (18th onwards)....will keep an eye on the forecast!!
snow report
Supposed to be snow on thurs evening/friday morning. Rain low down so roads will be okay.

Cheers
Bob
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy