Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brit videos emergency heli evacuation of Klein Matterhorn cablecar, Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
The News of the World has just released video footage of an emergency rescue from the highest cablecar in Europe - the Klein Matterhorn, Zermatt - on 2 January. The helicopter operation was filmed by Ben Andrew, a 27-year-old concert pianist from Leighton Buzzard, Beds, who had proposed to his girlfriend a day earlier.

Here is the report and video: Rescued from -27C cable car terror

Quote:
Ben said: "We had only just started the descent when we heard a loud crunching sound and the cable car stopped - I honestly thought we were all going to die. I thought the cable car was going to go crashing down."
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, that's - for me - a very sobering video.

One goes on these things (I was on that one, more or less exactly a year ago) and treat them like a bus. At least I do. And I don't very often expect to be choppered out.

This year I'm asking questions, nay on this very site, to wit: "is it permissable to take a 22wk infant on a cable car?".

Goodness. Nice little wake up call.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have never seen that cable car so empty - must have been a training exercise
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, I don't think it was a training exercise. According to the report it was the last descent (as distinct from ascent) of the day, during the ski season, at -27C, for only those (presumably) who'd decided to go up without skis, probably in dimming light: a combination of factors which wouldn't suggest 'rush hour'. I'm surprised the cabin was as busy as it was!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, none of which is relevant. It could just as easily have failed at maximum capacity, full of mediocre punters. Like me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No you cannot take a 22 wk infant on that one due to the height it reaches. We tried to get on it with a 6 month old and grandparents (we we skiing they were carrying daughter in a baby bjorn) and we were laughted (quite literally) out of the queue. Now we know the height it reaches and potential health problems we feel a little but sheepish.... You can only go as far as the mid station in Zermatt... Think from memory the height restriction was 3000 metres (Trockener Steg).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes thank you. No not on that one. A general question about some other ones. Hence 'a cable car' not 'that cable car'. Oh never mind Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, what an experience...!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bloody terrifying! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used that one quite a bit just before Xmas - well done for the rescue chaps Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the cable car remains in mid air I tend to feel it is more an inconvenience. From what I know about steel cables these things have a safety factor at least 7. That is to say if the cable car is fully laden with the maximum number of passengers at the worst blizzard and the strongest wind condition the cable would still experiencing 1/7 of the stress before it reaches the point where there is a concern structurally.

Being lifted in mid air should not be uncomfortable with skiers who ride chairlifts, especially who have visited Val D'Isere.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Free chopper ride over the mountains? Sounds good to me Very Happy Some people pay hundreds for that kind of thing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting that they left the paying punters 'dangling' when based on my extensive knowledge of seaside rescue (well from watching it on the box) the sea king boys tend to winch the punters up in to the chopper itself.

Any real experts care to comment on the differences in approach...perhaps the swiss boys were just moving the cargo a few '000 metres...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, my guess is that the Swiss helicopter could not carry as many inside the cabin as suspended externally - so evacuation would have taken a lot longer (because more trips would have been required) if they had gone for recovering the evacuees into the helicopter. Plus I don't think anyone was injured, and all seemed well dressed to cope with the short flight.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett wrote:
Any real experts care to comment on the differences in approach...perhaps the swiss boys were just moving the cargo a few '000 metres...

I wouldn't call myself a real expert - more a fake expert - but, yes, the heli looks to have moved the evacuees to the base station of the cablecar (Trockener Steg), which is also at the base of the glacier skiing above Zermatt. There would be no need to take them further, because there are lifts from there back to Zermatt.
ski holidays
Intresting, when the Wengen cablecar was replaced with the new version I watched them practise safety evacuation by helicopter, however in Wengen they use a sort of net in th shape of a bell with a solid base, they bring it to the door and people get inside the bell, lets them take off more people at once I guess and less risk of people slipping out of the strops like they use in Zermatt, but still I would imgine it to be somewhat scary
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
Interesting that they left the paying punters 'dangling' when based on my extensive knowledge of seaside rescue (well from watching it on the box) the sea king boys tend to winch the punters up in to the chopper itself.

I think they use the same choppers for cargo hence the bucket seat arrangement and fixed line setup, these guys know what they are doing with a helicopter, they are used to positioning huge parts of ccar towers so close the bolts fit straight through the holes, a large basket of people hanging off the bottom would have been a walk in the park for those pilots, and a scenario that will be very well practiced..
What a ride though, am I on my own by wanting a go on that.
latest report
How reassuring that it was dealt with so efficiently. I couldn't believe what a smooth a ride it seemed to be in the winch - might have been different in high wind. Shocked
snow report
ricfrench wrote:

am I on my own by wanting a go on that

Me me me me me me me me
latest report
Sobering. Been on that cable car dozens of times. Was indeed Trockener Stegg they were dropped at. That's what yer get for going into a skiing area without ski's Wink
latest report
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

I wouldn't call myself a real expert - more a fake expert - but, yes, the heli looks to have moved the evacuees to the base station of the cablecar (Trockener Steg), which is also at the base of the glacier skiing above Zermatt. There would be no need to take them further, because there are lifts from there back to Zermatt.

Interesting, so after this ordeal is it really the case that they would have just jumped striaght onto another cable car to get 'back home ' to Zermatt ? That would for sure test their nerves. Is it not more likey that they would have travlled down on piste bashers or similar ?
snow conditions
haha.... the webfilter at work has deemed the link 'tasteless'

whatever that might mean Puzzled Laughing
snow conditions
No wonder all cable car staff were a bit twitchy this last week! There was a day where it was stop/start during my visit, however I knew nothing about this! Shocked
snow conditions
v1cky24 wrote:
haha.... the webfilter at work has deemed the link 'tasteless'

whatever that might mean :~/ :lol:

It's on the News of the World site - so probably the site as a whole rather than that particular link.
ski holidays
I wouldn't describe the News of the World as tasteless - it tastes disgusting.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy