Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Challenges, Back on the snow for the first time in 10yrs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
HI Guys, I,m looking to get back out sking asap, not been since i was about 18, I was an average ability then but could get by, I fancied trying boarding but not sure. I am an ex ice hockey player and a few of my friends have bought blades and said they found them quick to adapt to and progress quicker,
Would these be a good way to get back out there, having never been on them just looking for adivise really

Thanks in advance
JT
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jamiet1977, welcome to snowheads. snowHead As an ex ice hockey player you will rapidly pick up skiing again, no trouble. Hire some modern skis and have some lessons. Then again, you could take up boarding, though the skating will be less use to you there! The world is your oyster. You could do both, indeed. You will find that many snowheads are extremely prejudiced against snowblades - expect a lot of grief. wink I have used blades, but longer skis (which these days are far shorter than they used to be) are better in many ways. They are a lot more versatile (blades are OK on smooth pistes but hard work on the flat or in chopped up snow and are little or no use off piste). OK, you can skate a bit on the flat on blades, but it's faster and more comfortable (and elegant...) skating on longer skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that, Is there any length of ski you would recommend that would be best for me, I,m a big guy around 17 st and 6ft tall or are they all much the same, Its amine field when you have no clue. I just want to get out there asap lol, I think I,ll get back to that first before I think about boarding,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jamiet1977, I recommend a snowboard as it's easier on the knees. I'm suggesting that at 17st you'll have a longer career ahead of you on a board than on skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jamiet1977,
If you're sense of balance is good (and as an ice hockey player, I'm guessing so), you should find the short but steep 'learn how to stand and turn' on a snowboard much easier than the longer (but arguably more fruitful) curve to skier-goodness.
however, if you're 17st is not as much muscle as it used to be, be aware that the ground can be hard when you fall on it (especially from 6ft up) - get a helmet, and consider wrist protectors.
If you're just at the end of your ice hockey career, you're probably fit enough to jump straight to skiing - might take you a few more weeks to get to 'all piste' riding ability, but with less falls...

There are as many opinions as to which is 'better' or less harmful - a guide I was with (who's now prob 45+) has stopped boarding as it was hurting his back - and the way he romped down the powder indicated no knee problems....

As an aside, it's taken me about 7 weeks to go from 'first time on ski's since a kid' to 'linking a few turns in deep powder'.... YMMV, though. wink
just get out there and do it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Is there any length of ski you would recommend that would be best for me, I,m a big guy around 17 st and 6ft tall

there are heaps of threads about ski length on snowheads, and I'm no sort of expert. If you were my son, and I was organising hired skis for you (and probably paying for them, as my son is always skint...) I'd ask advice in the hire shop, get you a general on-piste carving ski and be most reluctant to accept anything longer than shoulder level. How high are your shoulders? wink I'd also be urging you to have a couple of private lessons. And maybe lose some weight?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy