Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

night skiing

Poster: A snowHead
just wandered what night is night skiing1n 1800
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think many people skied at all in 1800, never mind at night rolling eyes

Seriously, it would help if you gave more than just the number - there may well be more than one report which has a village at 1800m. And it would also be better in either the Piste or the Resorts forum, rather than the snow reports one.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
night skiing is rubbish. It's cold, there's only ever a short bit of piste open, and the floodlights mean you can't see a thing. Like being in a goldfish bowl. Much better put your feet up with a glass of something warming and a good meal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ive wondered about this too

seems to operate in l2a and adh

main thing that struck me is - if your not near the slope, how do you get there? all the linked lifts will be shut, and you might be at the other side of the resort. bus/taxi?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have had fun skiing at night in a couple of places in europe but it can be definately cold, especially if the cannons are spouting snow too Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
night skiing is rubbish. It's cold, there's only ever a short bit of piste open, and the floodlights mean you can't see a thing. Like being in a goldfish bowl. Much better put your feet up with a glass of something warming and a good meal.

Surely that TOTALLY depends on where you do it. I went night skiing in Zoldo last week (twice), and it was great fun. Well prepared piste, empty, good vis, 2 nice wide runs (red, and red'ish black). I just thought back to what is available back in the UK, and you get over the limitations pretty damn quickly! Granted I did it for an hour or so each time, but still well worth it!

Could have eaten dinner at the top as well if we'd been organised enough... Was open between 7 and 11pm.

EDIT - the runs were served by the main gondola out of resort.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-01-10 20:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skola, in the places I've been with night skiing (which now includes les Saisies) it's just a central, short, slope generally served by a draglift. So you walk there - or drive. I don't think many people other than hyper-active 12 year olds bother. Or maybe I'm just getting old. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Let me tell you about my (brief) experience of night skiing in Passo Tonale last year....

The night run opens at 7.30pm every Thursday. At 7.29, so few people about that I thought I'd got the day wrong. 7.30 exactly - the local ski club show up along with masses of overweight, middle-aged Italian blokes in 1970's, day-glo ski gear and a few eastern european tourists. After about 10 minutes the lift queue dies down so I saunter out of the bar, grab my skis and hop in a bubble.

At the top of the run I realise that the lighting isn't brilliant but I can see well enough for a cautious practice down an easy blue run. So I set off.

Have you ever seen those films of Mad Sunday on the Isle of Man TT races in the 1970's and 1980's? Basically, every man and hit dog gets on his motorbike and goes flat out round the course with little or no regard for anyone else. This is my interpretation of what this run felt like. First of all, the under 13s section of the local club, shot past me (one running over the back of my skis) carving from one side of the piste to the other. These were followed by the Grappa filled 40 somethings who, although well past the age where lycra suits are considered suitable attire, managed to get from top to bottom in half the time it took most of the club skiers.

As for the Eastern Europeans. Admittedly not the most elegant and skilful of athletes but they weren't going to let the Italians have all the fun. Especially when the two who were part of my ski-school group had been supping Red Bull and vodka since 10am that morning.

After a couple of runs I lost my nerve. A combination of the poor light, manic skiers and the prospect of a glass of Chianti in the slopeside bar made me decide to retire whilst still in one piece. Night skiing - it's one of those things you have to try at least once but you probably wouldn't want to do it every day of the holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Clive, Laughing Laughing Laughing Sounds a lot more lively than the night skiing in Les Saisies!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
night skiing is great, went about 3 nights on trot last year in hinterglemm as our apartment was ski to door right on the night slope. Visibility was excellent, even during a major dump. Was soon warmed up by the exercise and a bit of gluewhine!
This year (in 2 weeks) we are going to soll and the night run there is massive, apparently served by a gondola and two chairlifts, with visibility reported to be as good or better than day light (i will pass judgement on this when i get there), so cant wait to give it a bash.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you often have to pay extra for Night Skiing (is that an REM track?) Not covered on the normal lift pass chiz chiz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

you often have to pay extra for Night Skiing (is that an REM track?) Not covered on the normal lift pass chiz chiz

included in hinterglemm but extra in soll
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I once did it on my first school trip in Austria whilst carrying or following a flaming torch, I cant quite remember... Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Night skiing in Serfaus is down a long blue run all the way down to the village - nice. Night skiing in Laax is by lunatics flat-lining it down a long red - not for the faint-hearted! Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Love it Last week at Arc 1950 / 2000 so good we did it twice. Kids really enjoyed it, and because the weather had been so poor ( snowy, blowy, and very little visibility during the day) all declared it the best conditions of the day(s). Yeah, you don't want to do it all the time, but it is another way to enjoy the piste.

And the sparks off your skis if you go slightly out of the lights into the darker areas with head torches, are wicked.

Keystone night ski: now that's cold... But you do get the whole mountain to play on.
snow conditions
We've night skiied at:-

- Keystone (Colorado) - brilliant but freezing cold...
- Are (Sweden) - very good but freezing cold
- Snow King (Jackson Hole) - interesting to say the least! Very basic lighting, interspersed with long stretches of darkness. Hmmmm.

All great fun and better than not skiing IMO.
latest report
pam w wrote:

That might be true in France, but the few I have seen in Austria have been full length pistes, with decent lighting.

I still haven't done any, because by the time you have had dinner in the hotel, it isn't usually worth the effort of getting back into all your kit for what time is left. And you do have to be staying within walking distance, because the buses all seem to stop early in the evening.
ski holidays
Skiied Squaw Valley several times at night. It used to be a top to bottom run.(may still be.)
About 2kms IIRC. Track mirrors what was the old mens downhill run from their Olympics i think. Served by the main gondola running every 15 minutes or so.
It was always groomed and pretty well lit.
As stated above the temperature drops like a stone from about 5pm onwards. Not many people on it and i enjoyed it.
Lets you milk a bit more value out of the lift pass wink .
ski holidays
Heading out to Niseko on Saturday.... Apparently their Night Skiing is amazing, waist deep powder in basically what is dark because you have to go off the side to catch the Pow, it is gonna be interesting
ski holidays
Quote:

the few I have seen in Austria have been full length pistes

This isn't a France/Austria thing. The first night skiing I did was in Austria - it was a shortish piste, with a draglift. The lighting was just the same as the lighting everywhere, presumably - cold white floodlighting. You can see the piste fine, but the glare of the lights meas you can see little or nothing else - no mountains, for example, and no night sky. There just didn't seem any point. It was cold, it was just one not very interesting piste, and all the "ambiance" was gone. After one effort at climbing back into all the kit, nobody in our group bothered again. Being able to ski all day seemed quite enough! The night skiing piste here was used on Christmas eve for an excellent demonstration/show of skiing through the ages. That was well worth a visit - and they put all the lights out for the final torchlit descent. But I'm not bothering to go over there to ski myself, that's for sure. I suppose if I only had a week to ski during the year I might make the effort one night - but after a long day's skiing a relaxed and sociable evening with good food and drink seems much more appealing. Proper night skiing, under a full moon, would be something else, and something I'd like to try, but for me, one floodlit piste just doesn't do it.

I did a torchlit descent once (again in Austria) largely because the kids wanted to do it and I didn't really want them to go off on their own. It was a novelty - something to do once but so much time was spent getting organised and people (some of them rather drunk) not paying attention and not behaving very well, that I wouldn't bother again. Plus, the snow was rubbish on that occasion.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the few I have seen in Austria have been full length pistes

This isn't a France/Austria thing. The first night skiing I did was in Austria - it was a shortish piste, with a draglift.

Fair enough. I was making a wrong assumption based on where you live.

Quote:

The lighting was just the same as the lighting everywhere, presumably - cold white floodlighting. You can see the piste fine, but the glare of the lights meas you can see little or nothing else - no mountains, for example, and no night sky.

OK. I didn't realise that was what you meant by not seeing much. I thiought you meant you couldn't see what you were doing.

Quote:

There just didn't seem any point. It was cold, it was just one not very interesting piste, and all the "ambiance" was gone. After one effort at climbing back into all the kit, nobody in our group bothered again. Being able to ski all day seemed quite enough!

Yes, agreed. As I said, I have never actually done it - the closest I came was a floodlit toboggan run in Schladming, which started from he same place as the floodlit ski run - the top of the Hochwurzen.

I might do it if I am close to a floodlit piste one year, but it just seems too much hassle for what it is - and you usually have to pay extra for the night lift pass.
snow report
alex_heney, I did sometimes have every intention of doing it - but after having had a shower, a spot of tea etc it just never seemed remotely attractive. wink
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
the closest I came was a floodlit toboggan run in Schladming, which started from he same place as the floodlit ski run - the top of the Hochwurzen.

On the same Austrian school ski trip, we were taken to a place to do night toboggan (we were aged 12-1Cool but were told that the toboggan run run was back down the road we had just come up!! Shocked
snow report
Moonlight skiing is more fun
snow conditions
Whereabouts do they do it in the 3 Valleys? Tempted to try it this year, but in all reality, will probably be too lazy in the venings.
snow conditions
I've tried night skiing in France, Austria and the US and Keystone was by far the best fun, very cold but worth the experience.
ski holidays
I've done it once in Solden. It was from the mid station after the ski school's end of season show. We stayed on the mountain at the end of the day, had a few beers, watched the show and very spectacular fireworks and enjoyed the after show party. All I can remember about the skiing is that it was very cold and very icy.
Nice to say you've done it but no particular desire to do it again.

But there is a better way. I know a couple of instructors in Mayrhofen who, when weather conditions are good, will spend the evening in the Elche bar at the top of the Penkenbahn chatting and drinking with the owners who live on the premises and then about midnight, paraglide down to the village.
Shocked
snow report
alex_heney, I'm presuming charlie26, is referring to Arcs 1800.

If you still have the energy you are not doing enough during the day. Night is for drinking Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel wrote:
alex_heney, I'm presuming charlie26, is referring to Arcs 1800.

While my first thought had been Plagne 1800.

Which kind of makes my point Smile
ski holidays
alex_heney,
Point well made snowHead snowHead
latest report
charlie26,

Which 1800 is it Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Valmeinier 1800, obviously!

Kel, he didn't bother answering the first time somebody asked, so we just had an argument amongst ourselves instead. wink
snow conditions
I've only done it once and thought it wasn't worth the hassle after a full day on the mountain.

I personally found that the artificial light were somehow creating a sort of flat light effect and I could not read the piste well, exactly as per flat light...Not enjoyable for me..
latest report
Kel wrote:
Which 1800 is it Puzzled Puzzled

If you look at c26's posting history, it's clearly Les Arc 1800. But he(?)'s clearly not interested in the answer as hasn't bother to reply him(?)self.
snow report
Semmering (ca 1 hr away from here) is really not at all bad. At the weekends it's busy but in the evenings it's really quiet. Yes you can't see as well as during the day but it's great "techique buildling" for them foggy days snowHead

Quote:

Since the 2006/2007 winter season, all our guest receive 13 kilometers of skiing slopes. Europe's largest night skiing area.

Our unique night skiing offers 6 out of 7 trails including Zauberg Tobogganing Run as well as Split-Park for snowboarders and free-style skiers.

Zauberg Gondola and the 4-lane Blauer Blitz sports run in the evening bring our guests safely and comfortably to winter fun at the top of Zauberg.

Regardless of skiing, tobogganing, snowboarding, dancing and relaxing after a long day at the office Zauberg at night is a unique experience.

http://www.zauberberg.at/en/zauberberg/winter/night-skiing/
snow conditions
3 Vallys,
Meribel,
Ronie,
6 pints of Muphys Red,
numerous Eristof toffee vodkas,
ski locker closing at 7,
6:59 gotta ski down now,
Buggger
snow report
sorry not been checking threasd it is les arc 1800 we are stopping in aparts on the piste at chantel
latest report
u geezas is da mad. i see da batty boys take spankings on bristls in chatham on satuday in lite an u wan 2 ski in dark. in da nite u wan da punani an babes not waysting tieme in da blizerd getin spanked.
latest report
riverman wrote:
Moonlight skiing is more fun

This!!! Have done this a few times, most notably, on a tour round the mountain huts in Saalbach, long after the lifts had shut (about 9pm) Wink, and skiing down the long blue from the top of Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald Grund, after a skinfull in the TiiPii Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

in da nite u wan da punani an babes not waysting tieme in da blizerd getin spanked.

my choice of leisure pursuits might be slightly different but I agree with the sentiment. wink

But yes, moonlit skiing - would like to give that a go.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy