Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing on public footpaths

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience regarding the law and sliding down a hill in a field?

I have a field with a hill near my house and a public footpath runs through it. Ignoring the fact that I may trash my bases and I'll have to trudge up it it is there any reason why I can't go for a slide?

I know it is not illegal to cycle along a footpath except under local bylaw or you can be sued for criminal damage by the landowner.

By the way the field is grazing for horses so no crops or furrows Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for it... you won't be on the footpath, you'll be on the snow Very Happy

We went skiing powder on our local (hilly) golf course a couple of weeks ago. In hindsight, it wasn't woth the effort, but the experience was worth it and it's cool that we can safely say we were probably the first to ski/board on the course Little Angel

This opporchancity comes along only once in a while.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was stopped for using a motorised skateboard on a public footpath and considered it a fair cop (despite there being no notice banning them). Park-keepers tend to be a law unto themselves.

Then again, you wouldn't want to ski into a pedestrian. Or would you?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If they have just let their dog c**p in the middle of the path I would Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tiffin, I think you could probably be pulled up for the same offence under S72 of the Highways Act 1835. This states that:

"If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby."

if one argued that your skis were, in fact, a "sledge". It is quite clear that footpaths are only for walkers (although case law has allowed pushchairs, wheelchairs etc. I'm not aware it has ever been tested for use of skis - for obvious reasons!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tiger2, Yeah I saw that one, presumably designed to stop horses/cattle muddying up or blocking the path.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tiffin, I agree. And, indeed, "damages" have to be claimed by the landowner for illegal use of the footpath. However, just be aware that the offence also carries a fixed penalty fine of £60. The chances of you ever being fined are probably small but that wasn't the subject of your OP. As with many aspects of the interpretation of the law it is not until they are tested through the courts do you ever get a definitive answer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So it's legal to sledge on a road, but not pull a toddler on a sledge on the pavement?

Funnily enough we used to go sledging on a steep road, and compact the snow and make it so icy all the car owners had to leave their cars at the bottom of the hill Twisted Evil
Sledging on the pavement was a PITA because of all the dropped kerbs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiger2, I don't see how you could really argue that skis are a "sledge", nor do you "lead or drive" them.

I think it is almost certainly legal to ski on a footpath, so long as you are not causing a danger to others.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, while I agree that the term "sledge" probably didn't mean a ten quid moulded plastic affair in 1835 when the Act was drafted subsequent Acts and guidance as well as case law refers specifically to footpaths being for the sole use of "walkers". I'm not sure you could argue that a skier was a walker [check spelling Laughing ] but it would be fun trying!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
so how does nordic walking and 'xc' skiing blur this already muddy puddle Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

A definition on acceptable shoe sole length and slipperyness may be needed Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevindonkleywood, if it was only a muddy puddle then tiffin wouldn't want to ski down it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tiger2, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Actually i think there may be a snowHead 's bylaw that makes it illegal not to at least attempt to ski down it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That quote from S72 explicitly refers to a footpath by the side of the road, so is not applicable to paths through fields.

Just go and do it! Don't worry about any legalities.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tiger2, I thought the fixed penalty was applicable only to footways rather than footpaths
ski holidays
thinking more about this....

technically, you'll actually be in the sky above the footpath.

still don't see any reason why you can't just go for it.
latest report
thinking more about this....

technically, you'll actually be in the sky above the footpath.

still don't see any reason why you can't just go for it. in fact... what has happened to the world, if you have to ask the question in the first place!!!!!!?
latest report
IMHO footpaths (whether through a field or not) are highways - hence the relative legislation being the Highways Act. As far as I know there is no such thing as a "footway" (unless you can point me to the necessary definitions).

Don't get me wrong - I think tiffin should just go and do it (as, indeed, I think he does too). It was merely the pedantry of whether or not it was legal that drew me in. (After all, I was accused of not being pedantic enough when I made my second post on the forum.)
latest report
Nothing wrong with a bit of pedantry Smile

Footpath means a highway over which the public have a right of way on foot only, not being a footway [Section 329(1) Highways Act 1980].
Footway means a way comprised in a highway, which also comprises a carriageway, being a way over which the public has a right of way on foot only [Section 329(1) Highways Act 1980]. Footways are the pedestrian paths alongside a carriageway, and are often referred to as a pavement.

taken from - http://www.nuttycyclist.co.uk/cycling/where.htm

And yes I will probably do it regardless of the law. I was just interested in the legality as it kept me amused while waiting for someone to phone me back at work Smile
snow report
So if its definitely a 'highway' you would now have to prove that skiing is not a 'pedestrian' form of locomotion? Very Happy
latest report
Surely no differnt to using a skateboard or roller skates?
snow report
tiffin wrote:

I know it is not illegal to cycle along a footpath except under local bylaw or you can be sued for criminal damage by the landowner.

And while we're being pedantic, the action taken by the landowner would be a civil action to recoup any financial losses caused by your trespass, not a prosecution for criminal damage.

I ride my bike on loads of footpaths locally and have had very little issue. What confrontation I have had has been from ill-informed 'Sunday walkers' (never get further than half a mile from the car park/pub/cafe). I may well have ridden past other landowners without knowing about it but of the three I do know about and see regularly, one will go out of his way to hold the gate open for me if he sees me coming down the path, one gives me a cheery wave when I pass and the last completely blanks me. Mind you, he completely blanks me if I'm running or walking too.

Anyway, back to skiing - I've been skiing down a footpath today that runs down a hill through four fields. My wife and kids (and loads more) were sledging in the bottom field. So was the family that owns the land.
ski holidays
Earlier, I drove past a man who was happily pootling along the pavement, on long skinny skis. Barlow Moor Road. M21. Looked a lot safer (& more fun) than any other mode of transport round here today!

(post with nowt really to do with the OP, but, well, wth?!)
snow report
Higs, while nothing to do with the OP, riding your bike on a footpath is, no question, illegal and you could be subject to a fixed penalty fine as well as damage claims from the landowner. Thus your "Sunday walkers" are not "ill informed".

Riding along a bridleway is OK though.
ski holidays
You're wrong Tiger2, it's a civil matter where no fixed penalty applies.

"It is important to note that most legislation relating to 'cycling on footpaths' actually relates to the riding of cycles on a 'footway set aside for the use of pedestrians' which runs alongside a road. For example, the 'fixed penalties' brought in a few years ago do NOT apply to country footpaths where there is no road."

http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php
ski holidays
Why not just ask the owner of the field if you can ski on a bit away from the footpath?
latest report
davkt,

...and offer to make a donation to charity. That makes it pretty hard for them to refuse without looking a t**t.
Bear in mind though that if the field is used for horses they probably don't want the snow packing down and making any slippier. Horses are expensive things to get vet treatment for.

adrian
snow report
Horses almost certainly won't be out in the snow if the hill is steep enough to ski on. Horses are keen to break themselves at the best of times, without steep potentially slippery ground!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tiger2 wrote:
Higs, while nothing to do with the OP, riding your bike on a footpath is, no question, illegal and you could be subject to a fixed penalty fine as well as damage claims from the landowner. Thus your "Sunday walkers" are not "ill informed".

Rot.
You are as ill-informed as a Sunday walker.
snow report
to the OP, if you are really worried about this ....i suggest you seek counselling .
latest report
Thinking by Winners:

"It doesn't say I can't so I will."

Thinking by Losers:

"It doesn't say I can, so I won't."

JFDI

[/whitegold]
ski holidays
tiffin, Quite obviously - you don't have a freeriders mentality - if you did you would just go for it Toofy Grin
snow report
tiffin, Quite obviously - you don't have a freeriders mentality - if you did you would just go for it Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy