Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELP - Anyone heard from snowchains.co.uk?

Poster: A snowHead
I hope this is in the right forum. I have ordered show chains from snowchains.co.uk on 19th December with next day delivery and they have still not arrived. I have emailed and now phoned for the last few days but no replies to emails and the phone just goes to a recorded message giving the website details.

We are driving to the Alps on 15th so need to get the chains by then at least and prefferrably sooner - does anyone have exerience with this company or heard anything about its demise?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes and they are/were 1st class, your experience does sound somewhat unusual.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They were very sketchy on the phone about 4 weeks ago when I phoned about some Rud's so i decided to go elsewhere.

Having said that it is a bad time of year and i know that some courier warehouses are stacked full of undelivered stuff due to the hols and the weather

For many companies today will be the first real day back after the hol's and i can imagine that they may be working through a very large number of orders right now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, thanks, i'll give it til tomorrow and see if i can find the chains elsewhere. They haven't actually charged my card but that wont be any consolation if i get as far as the Alps with no snow chains!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
number9dream, They do actually exist in such as they have an industrial unit, I've been to it to collect chains in the past. Surprised if they've gone pop considering the demand there must be at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
can you cancel and re-order from the roofbox co?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, that sounds like a good idea - i would feel better about it if only i could get some contact from them but i suppose if i end up with 2 sets it's better than travelling with none!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've spent a lot of today on a lot of websites trying to source/order snowchains for a run up to Weardale Ski Club at the weekend.

Turns out that (unbelievably if you ask me) most are saying that they have been inundated with orders and that all their snow chains have been cleared out eg Roofrackshop.co.uk - who have disconnected their phones due to volume of calls and having no chains left; Roofracks-roofboxes.co.uk - nothing left; (despite website allowing chains to be added to cart); snowchainwarehouse.co.uk - nothing left, next delivery in 10-14 days....I actually tried a few more internet companies but these are the only ones that I could contact.

Snowchains.co.uk have a permanent phone message saying that they are closed - so I wonder if something similar is going on there?

Just as I was losing the will to live I came across this:
http://edge2edgeshop.co.uk/category/108/Snowchains

Although the website says they sell Weissenfels chains they did have Thule chains to fit my car. Phew, it's a result! Very Happy Chains are sent out the same day if ordered before their daily courier has collected orders. Mine will hopefully arrive on Thursday.

Edge2edge also do snow chain hire at £15 for a week - which doesn't seem bad at all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can get out of the snowbound UK and across France somewhere near the Alps I would suggest stopping at a few hypermarkets, buying the snowchains, using them for the duration of your holiday and selling them on ebay when you get home? It's that early in the season you're almost certain to sell them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
oldsnowy,
The OP might want to keep his snowchains for when he _is_ in the UK... or is it not snowing in Bristol tonight yet? Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
number9dream, I ordered some chains from them Xmas week, received a call the next day to say they were out of stock but would be in soon. Chains arrived in post on Monday.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:
number9dream, They do actually exist in such as they have an industrial unit, I've been to it to collect chains in the past. Surprised if they've gone pop considering the demand there must be at the moment.

Ditto - never had any issues myself (but only used a couple of times!)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dunk, bertie bassett, yes i read up on them on here actually so wasn't worried about ordering from them and i notice that they have changed their answering machine message today from yesterday but still cant get through.

oldsnowy, when i phoned SEAT to try and get chains for my car - wide low profile summer tyres, no clearance i was told i needed specific chains that fit outside the tyre (which of course are 5x the price of normal chains). and also that snow chains are illegal in the UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try www.skiwear4less.co.uk they also have a snow chain section hidden deep in their website they may have some left
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
UPDATE - with less than a week to go to the drive to the Alps I still haven't heard from snowchains.co.uk either to confirm my order or to confirm my cancellation of it. NOw that's customer service.

I have ordered snow chains from snowchains.com via their website - no confirmation of the order - no email - no delivery - THEY have taken payment though.

As i belive i can probably cancel the previous 2 transactions under distance selling laws (7 working days from delivery of items for buyer to change mind) i phoned Roofbox.co.uk (who i have received excellent service from in the past) and ordered chains to fit my tyres (they seem to be the only UK snow chains vendor with a working cutomer service operation...or at least with enough staff to actually answer theor telephone). Anyway the chains arrived today and they are the wrong ones for my tyres. This is getting ridiculous. Just try and fit them i was told - well in the morning i'll dig my car out and give it a go. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Quote:

Anyway the chains arrived today and they are the wrong ones for my tyres.

Shocked Oh dear. Is your tyre size not listed on the box (or whatever packaging they're in)? Looking on the bright side, it's a great opportunity to practice, with real snow on the ground. wink
snow report
Just by way of info, I e-mailed the roof box company www.roofbox.co.uk about 2 weeks ago, tried telephoning them a number of times without an answer, still no reply to my e-mail either. Suggest everyone stays clear.
ski holidays
pam w, Yes my tyre siza was listed on the box - next to the size chain that i didn't have... Anyway they seem to fit ok so I'm happy for now. (only have to get my money back from snowchains.com, who charged my card without even giving an email acknowledement on my order, and apparently without sending any chains either)
latest report
Howdyhoooo,
I´m afraid I am the next unhappy customer with snowchains.co.uk . I ordered my snow chains last Sunday (11th January). I have had the automatic emails regarding to my order. But nothing else. I have also tried to give them a call getting just an answering machine with a common message (experiencing high number of calls, adverse weather, etc.) and hanging up. I have sent them an email inquiring about my order. No reply. Sent another email, still no reply. I can understand the snow situation and the adverse weather down there. I also know this is the highest demand during the year. But cutting the communication between them and the customers is the worst decision ever. I still do not know did they credited my card or not. Will wait few days, but I am really upset of this unprofessional service. This is my first bad experience buying online. I try to be positive and I am hoping everything will be OK soon. But guys, I´ll come back and will keep you updated. wink
snow report
Deer, well if they credited your card then all to the good for you. Are you not able to check online and see if your credit card has been debited with the amount you would have paid them if they had sent you the chains?
ski holidays
Hmm doesn't sound good

I have bought a few things from them in the past and had no problems and have recommended them to many people. Hopefully this isn't a long-term problem and they sort it out
snow report
I got my chains from http://www.topgear-sales.co.uk/ before Xmas - they are local to me so picked them up so can't comment on postage lead times but they did answer their phones and were extremely helpful. I had lots of conflicting info from various sites about which chains would/wouldn't fit my car and one company I spoke to said I could only use one of the expensive systems - top gear did sell me one up from basic due to low clearance but much cheaper solution that I was offered elsewhere.
snow report
I ordered online from Snowchains a couple of weeks ago - got immediate email confirmation though my credit card was not debited until last Saturday. I opted to collect as we don't live too far away. I tried unsuccessfully to contact them by phone (including leaving messages when I didn't get the annoying "high number of calls" answerphone message) and email to check that our order was actually there for us to pick up - we eventually gave up and drove there yesterday and were able to pick up our order without any problems.

Good luck everyone!
snow report
Hi everyone.
I wish I had had a look at this site earlier.
I ordered chains from them more than a month ago, money taken form account, heard nothing back since. Tried to contact them on several occsions, no reply. Now, left with no toher options, but take actions.
It is a pity, that they have been good in the past, seems, now something went really wrong with them. Is tere anyone, whose problem has been resolved by them recently or have they gone bust? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
If you need chains shortly to go on holiday most supermarkets towards the alps sell them, there is in addition a Halfords style shop in Chambery (Chamnord shopping).
Also sold on motorway service areas but I guess the prices there are higher.
snow report
Thank you for youe advice. I still have got 2 weeks before going, however I think it gets less and less likely that I will get my cahins from snowchains.co.uk. I will most probably have to buythem on the way. Thanks again Very Happy
latest report
juhaszati, Where are you going?
snow report
Quote:

Just by way of info, I e-mailed the roof box company www.roofbox.co.uk about 2 weeks ago, tried telephoning them a number of times without an answer, still no reply to my e-mail either. Suggest everyone stays clear.

Hairybiker,

I think you are being a little unfair - in your original chain on the topic, lots of people (including me) reported excellent service from roofbox and roofbox themselves popped into snowheads to explain the set of woes that befell them at the time that you were trying to contact them.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59901
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy