Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for £450 Budget

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A newbie to the forum so hello to all.

I am looking for some skis and have a budget of 450 quid.
I am a reasonable plodder, around level 6 ish having returned to the sport 3 years ago after a 15 year break. Now relocated to Slovakia so economically it makes sense to buy some skis (took the advice of other members on here and got some boots last year, thanks all, wise words).

Will be in St Anton for a few days this week and want to try some skis with a view to buying the ones that suit best.
- 6ft
- 100kg
- probably only skiing on piste
- looking to tighten up my turns (and stop sliding so much!)

I would like to ask which types I should try, had ago with some crossmax 10s in Hintertux last month (162) that seemed ok but wondered what you guys thought might be a good selection in my price range.
Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

- looking to tighten up my turns (and stop sliding so much!)

Get some lessons, no ski can come close to what a good instructor does in this aspect.

Can't say much as I have no idea of your skiing ability, but you shouldn't go 162 ever again in length. With your weight, 178 should be the minimum imo.

Are you 100kg in the powertraining type or 100kg in the "life enjoying" type? Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
good question Puzzled
Actually reasonably fit, as for ability i can handle most runs on the piste, including black, but not always with the greatest of style. Will definately be booking some lessons to improve. Was advised to look at Tornado,s. Would this be too much ski?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just realised that no one has replied to you.

I am exactly in the same boat and am a similar size and height to you.

I am leaning towards the Fischer Watea 84 at the moment which I want for a mix of piste and off piste, its in the right sort of budget range for you as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Vorda says, at your weight you should be looking at 178 at the very least - and I can't believe anyone put you on 162! Shocking!

And again, sliding turns can be fixed with instruction - because you really should not have been sliding on 162!

Have a great holiday, check out the ski finder on http://www.skipressworld.com/usa/ski-finder.html to narrow down your options - this site also indicates whether a ski is suitable for a heavier skiier or not. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, are you sure you want 84mm underfoot? That is very firmly in the freerider/off piste range, and unless you are very good it will adversely affect your on piste performance. If you are honestly going to be 50/50 off/on piste then fair enough, but if you're going to spend, for example, 5 days on piste with a 1 day guided off piste (a very typical ratio for many recreational skiers, me included), then you don't need anything wider than 80 max. I've been looning around on and off piste on K2 recons for about 4 years now, 78 underfoot and they work brilliantly on piste at all speeds, plus serving me perfectly well on many days in the back country. Don't believe the current hype and fashion for big fatties, they are only really required by 5% (or less) of the skiing public.

Having said that, they are extremely good looking planks. Bu@@er it, buy em, I'll be jealous.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, Well I am not sure whether I really need the 84mm or not, but I was told that with my height and weight having a stiff pair of wide skis under me would help.

I could go for a pair of Head Peak 78s, but you are right, they are nowhere near as good looking as the Fischer Watea 84s.

I'm going to test the Watea's soon, so I'll let you know what I think
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
84 is not fat Smile and can you really tell the difference 6mm makes, and i dont mean 2 different skis, if is was 2 pairs of recon's and 1 was 78 and 1 was 84 i doubt a recreational or otherwise skiier would notice
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geeo,

I'm classified as recreational and I can tell the difference, certainly on piste. The Watea come in 84 & 78. kosciosco, if possible it's worth trying both on the same piste and compare. I tried 84'ss, Movement skis IIRC, before I tried the Recon 78's and the carving was much sharper and responsive. Might alway's be my shonky technique, obv...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
did you try the 78 & 84 watea's and notice a difference? cant see how you can compare a 84 watea to a 78 recon and ignore all the other things that make a ski what it is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, Wish I could, but EB only have the Head Peak 73s, so I can't compare
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geeo, The question you set was "can you really tell the difference 6mm makes...i doubt a recreational or otherwise skiier would notice", and my answer was "yes, you can". The post was not meant as a full and comprehensive review and comparison of the different skis, or a thesis on the empirical difference 6mm of ski width makes to the overall performance, but merely a quick comment on a t'internet message board based on my experience testing skis of different makes and width.

As you were.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Controversy! I would say nothing wrong with 84's - even if you are mainly on piste. These new 'semi' all mountain skis are so good on piste, and better at battering through crud, or just a big dump on piste I would honestly say think mid 80's. Hoping to try the Fischers this weekend but the Salomon Lords are great on piste also worth trying are the Movement Jams (possibly struggle in Austria to get them though - as you would struggle to find Fischers in Switzerland).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well luckily EB at MK have both the Watea 78 and 84, so I shall test both and see if I can notice the difference

will report back
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy