Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steamy goggles

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just back from a fairly disappointing week in meribel over new year. We only had two afternoons of sun, so I spent the majority of the week attempting to ski in pretty bad visibility. To make matters worse my goggles were continuously misting up. Someone advised me not to touch them at all and if not in use store them in your pocket (not on your forehead), but nothing seemed to work. Sad

I have a pair of Spy goggles, which from memory cost around £60, so not exactly cheap, so I wanted to know if anyone had any tips or knew if some types of goggles are better than others, or if i suspect, it is just down to my incredibly steamy breath - i always seem to mist up car windows!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I paid about the same for a pair of Bole goggles and the same thing happened, followed all the advice and nothing worked. Bought a pair of Oakley ones and problem has stopped. They sit on my hat quite happily, I can clean them with anything etc etc and they dont mist up - and I was skiing that same weather as you in La Plagne over New Year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have Oakley ones and have never had misting problems
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You have to spend at least £130 on goggles. This has recently been proven.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I too have Oakleys and £100.00 Bolle's and never had this problem
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio wrote:

If spending £130 would sort out the problem then I would happily pay that.

Which model of Oakleys did you get - there seems to be a few different types
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have Oakleys and don't have a problem. A Frames and today I have purchased some Stockholms Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have Oakley O Frame ones. Under £40 from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oakley-O-Frame-Ski-Goggles/dp/B001GO4MDU?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't have Oakleys - but Smiths: they never steam up either. Think I paid under US$50.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW wrote:
I don't have Oakleys - but Smiths: they never steam up either. Think I paid under US$50.

Thinking about it, mine are Smiths as well not Spy as i had mentioned.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i have a worse issue. i put the goggles on top of my glasses and while the goggles do not steam my glasses do. I noticed though that if you ignore the steaming and keep skiing the ventilation usually takes care of the steaming. if you're standing still however and try to get rid of it it won't go away
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if you have your collar up so that your breath is channelled past the lens of the goggles every time you exhale, they are bound to steam up

otherwise,; as snowforever says - get the vents open and ski for a bit. this should unsteam them. also, if you are having real problems, go for a loo stop and run the goggles under the hand dryer until they are completely dry and put the goggles on while you are still inside
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gyus and gals, usually the £60 -£100+ range of goggles do a good job.....

The issue of fogging up - you need to understand how goggles work - they all have vents - front of lens, bottom of frame, top of frame - the idea is for hot (ie sealed) chamber air around your eyes to be able to escape upwards (hot air rises) - as it does so, it pulls colder and drier air into the chamber from below and from the flowing air coming in from the lens vents.

If your goggles are fogging up:

a. Do you have a helmet whose rim is restricting the escape of hot air?

b. Are you too hot in the neck area where you are wearing a neck fleece, and have it pulled up around your lower face?....thereby having warm moist air being sucked into the chamber?

All goggles fog a little to some degree - they usually clear up within a few seconds when you start skiing.

I used to have Oakleys - never had a problem - I now wear a different brand - again no problems.....

Oh and Shimmy - be very careful when cleaning the anti-fog layer on the inside lens - if wet this layer softens and you can wipe and scratch away the anti-fog coating!

Happy skiing all!!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stop breathing.....Simples
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all, there are some good tips there. Although hopefully my next trip will be sunny so my goggles will be staying in their case!
snow report
Um... no. Sunny + reflective snow + less air for UV protection = goggles are essential.
ski holidays
paulio, you may use sunglasses as I always do. I hate goggles and i only use them when necessary
snow conditions
Rub shampoo into the back of the lens and its stops them fogging up. You can also buy anti-fog spray (usually used for ice hockey visors) - I use this one http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Sports/Landing208a1417.html
ski holidays
Baby shampoo that is (not sure why)
snow report
scooby, Helmet or woolly hat? I have never had a problem since using a lid.
snow report
paulio wrote:

wot he said.... wink Laughing

snow conditions
Just got back from Italy and some pretty testing conditions re fog and driving snow over a couple of days. My son nicked my £30 Uvex goggles as they fit his helmet better, so I was lumbered with his £7 Lidl ones. Neither fogged up and had no more problems with visibility than anyone else in our group. Two young lads with us had difficulties with fogging later on in the afternoon after they had used their goggles as shovels to build a snowman.....
ski holidays
I wear goggles almost exclusively.....since I also wear contacts when skiing - so always goggles.....

.....Easter skiing apart when its really hot and the sky really really deep blue with not a cloud in the sky....then its SPF 50+, with Oakley's 24 Carat Gold Iridium lenses in Eye Jackets.....13% VLT.....

Laughing Laughing
latest report
You really don't have to spend a fortune. I've had some old scott motive goggles for years that were £35, never steam, rarely ever need a wipe, better than yellow lenses in flat light, perfect in bright sun. Can't find them anywhere now so will be a pain if I scratch, break, lose them!

It's just a case of finding a good pair without being ripped off to have an 'O' on your head.
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
paulio wrote:

wot he said.... wink Laughing

I wear a hat - what's a 'lid'?
latest report
a trick borrowed from scuba diving seems to work on foggy ski goggles, although it might not appeal to everyone...

Rub the insides with saliva, and then wipe them clear. This seems to stop them misting up. Don't use too much saliva, just a coating.
snow report
Give 'em a wipe with neat fairy liquid (or other similar product) and then polish with a dry cloth.
latest report
Try weeing in them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always used to have this problem, even with a relatively expensive pair of Oakleys I borrowed off a mate. I must have tried 3 or 4 different pairs from friends, and all of them fogged up on me. Then I borrowed a mate's pair of Adidas Yodai; problem solved, they were brillant. I bought myself a pair and they've been fantastic ever since, I couldn't be happier with them. I now wear goggles all the time, I'm so comfortable with them.

I've got no idea why this is the case; all I know is I've found my remedy and I'm sticking to it!

Edit to say: obviously I don't wear goggles ALL of the time, that would just be plain weird. Just in all conditions on the slopes.....
latest report
From the Snoworks website:

How to stop your goggles from steaming up

Now wouldn't we be popular if we gave you the secret to this. Well here it goes.

Rule Number 1 - Buy The Best
Do not skimp. Eyesight is the most important sense we have and in those times of difficult visibility you need all the help you can get. One thing we never do is skimp when buying a pair of goggles. As the old saying goes 'you get what you pay for'. Our Bollé goggles simply do not steam up. If yours do then follow the next 6 rules. But whatever you do, rule number 1, buy the best.

Rule Number 2 - Keep Them On
Once on - leave them on. We can't believe how many skiers we see walking out of the hotel or lift station in a blizzard with their goggles worn around their arm, hanging from their neck, over the top of their helmet or on the top of their woolly hat. Goggles are designed to cover your eyes. They're not meant to be on the top of your head or the side of your arm. Put them on inside and once outside leave them on over your eyes until you come back inside.

Rule Number 3 - Keep The Inside Dry
Going with rule number 2 this is absolute paramount. If they get wet inside it's over. Head into a restaurant and dry them off inside. Once dry then start again. Once wet inside, quit, as it will only get worse.

Rule Number 4 - Have Two Pairs
If you're serious get two pairs of Bollé's. We had Quasar's, Simmers and Nova's. If you go for different lenses then you can use a dark lens for sunny days and a clear or slightly tinted lens for bad visibility. When the snow comes in you can use the lighter lens as the main pair and the dark tinted lens as the spare pair.

Rule Number 5 - Always have a Goggle Bag
Never, never buy a pair of goggles without a decent goggle bag. Not a cloth one. It needs to be made of a material that is soft so you can clean and dry the lens. A type of lycra or something similar. Don't dry them with tissues, especially used ones! Paper tissues can scratch the lens. When you are not using the goggles keep them in the goggle bag. Don't go for lunch and leave them on the top of your helmet. As soon as you are in the restaurant, dry the goggles. Once dry stick them in the bag.

Rule Number 6 - Don't Overdress
It's a blizzard outside so on goes extra clothing. A zip top which does up to the top of your neck, followed by a neck warmer that you can pull up over your face and above your nose, followed by a balaclava, followed by a woolly hat, followed by the hood from your coat that does up around the front and pulled tight. Result - NO AIR. Your goggles will steam up in about 30 seconds. Then once they've steamed up, they're wet inside and it's game over. You need air to move freely around the goggles and your face must not overheat. Just because its snowing doesnt mean you have to overdress. Often when its snowing it's warmer. Keep the face clear of clothing. The vents around the bottom, sides and top of your goggles need to be clear from clothing so air can circulate. Don't pull your woolly hat right down over the top of the goggles and block the air vents. AIR AIR AIR.

Rule Number 7 - Stay Cool
The last rule. Stay cool. If you overheat and your face gets hot then it's game over. So don't overdress and don't overheat. If you fall, take your time - stay cool. If you're off piste and you fall, don't panic, scrambling around for everything like a madman will mean you overheat in 10 seconds. You can take your goggles off, stick them in their bag whilst you get sorted and then when ready and 'COOL' you can stick your goggles back on. If the first pair have got wet and steamed up you may need to put your spare pair on but only once you have cooled down. To stop the goggles from steaming up your face needs to be the same temperature as the air outside. Think about your car windscreen when there is a big temperature difference between the outside and the inside of the car.
snow report
Dav, you are not weird. I wear goggles out of preference too.
snow conditions
I also prefer goggles. I have a £40 pair of Dirty Dogs, and never had a problem out on the slopes. Only time I had an issue, was when I left them on the underfloor heating, whilst still damp - took a couple of days to clear.
snow report
I was in Meribel last week as well and also spent most of the week in goggles. However mine only steamed up once and that was when I had to hike out of Meribel Village, when the lift broke (didn't fancy fighting 200 others for the bus). First 2 days in a woolly hat and the rest in a helmet. I don't take them off if I can avoid it (especially in the hat) and I avoid being too warm or covering my nose. Goggles are RudyProject ones ; Rare, but I know the importer of thier cycling glasses.

adrian
snow report
Goggles all the way for me, whatever the condition. Better visibility, clear lines of sight, no wind tears, stay on when stacking, and anyway sunnies with a helmet makes you look like a mental case. Shades in the pack for lunch and apres, obv...
snow conditions
RobW wrote:

It probably also matters how much you sweat while skiing.

I have smiths too, paid 30 quid, they are fine. I also have Lidl double lens googles, these cost 6 euros and they will steam a bit. My conclusion is that there is a difference between cheap and more expensive goggles.

Once they are steamed there is little you can do, stop in a mountain cafe and go and dry them thoroughly with a hand dryer. Then try to keep them on without lifting them up all the time. If they still steam, bin them. It is not worth it.
latest report
scooby wrote:

I wear a hat - what's a 'lid'?

"lid" = helmet
snow conditions
Oakley ones also make you a better boarder and allow you to go straight to the front of any queue (bar or lift) - FACT! NehNeh
snow conditions
When wearing sunglasses, make sure they are low temp rated. Some plastics become very brittle at low temp and can shatter if you have a fall.

I dont take chances. The hint is in my name and sig. Happy

As for fogging. Used to happen all the time in my CEBE goggles (TKMAXX) but since I started wearing a lid and stipped putting on too many clothes I dont get a problem. As we scots say. Its all about the airflow.

Cheers
Bob
latest report
This damned topic title. Every single time I open the Piste section it registers subliminally and I start hearing Tina Turner sing "Steamy windows...". I hate that song!
snow report
I carry two pairs of Oakley goggles, and last year had a disaster as both fogged up severely! I didn't know what was wrong as I did not store them on my head or touch the inside of them. Basically the problem was that I was wearing them with a balaclava and they were not flush against the skin, but instead resting on the material of the balaclava.

Fogged goggles are a real pain.

Is there a spray or solution that can be applied to the inner surface to prevent goggles fogging ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy