Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please give some guidance to a newbie...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm getting married in December (yes, I know it's still 11 months away) and we are planning to do some skiing in Europe as a large part of our honeymoon.

Since I haven't been skiing since I was a kiddie, and that was in Canada, can you very kind and knowlegeable people out there give me some advice?

We'll probably fly into the UK from ZA, and Eurostar to Paris - the idea is that we would continue to Switzerland to do some skiing. Apparently Switzerland is cheaper (but not by much) than France, etc. Since its our honeymoon I'd prefer not to go somewhere completely downmarket, but at the same time we're still paying in Rand.

Advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JoburgMatt, Welcome to snowHead ---

I dont find Switzerland cheaper than France, the converse if anything but very little in it. Swizerland has some very beautiful places .... depending upon when you arrive in December you might like to consider 'Higher' resorts just to improve your chances of 'Good Snow' conditions. Zermatt would be my choice for a honeymoon experience.

If you intend taking the train then I would take the train as far as possible -- not just to Paris as that is still a long way from the Alps. Alternatively, assuming you arrive at Heathrow, then flights to all the major gateways from there .... although if you are comfortable moving around with your luggage to a different South Eastern airport then there would be additional options.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for this...what I should have included is that we would plan to take the train as far as possible as that's bound to be more pleasant than flying.

Can one buy necessary ski equipment upon arrival do you think, or should we try to obtain it elsewhere? Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JoburgMatt, If you are looking for somewhere cheaper than France but not too "downmarket", you could try Austria - places such as Solden are pretty snow sure in December, or you could stay in somewhere like Zell am Zee and ski Kaprun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JoburgMatt, In which case ..... there are many swiss ski resorts that are served directly by train or at worst you take a Postbus (public bus service) for the last few miles or taxi if you are feeling flush.

www.sbb.ch is the Swiss rail network site that will help you plan it all with the utmost precision.

I've just realsied that you havent skied for ages ... I would definitely buy as many of the clothes that you need locally to yourself if possible - resorts are expensive as they have captive customers - although Decathlon is a French company you may be able to access before arriving in resort ( I have no idea what the ranges are like in ZA).. Skis and Boots are best hired in resort if this is to be a 'one-off'.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy