Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost

Poster: A snowHead
We're quite shocked by our overspend on the first "cheap" trip this year. Over the last 5 years we have booked with operators and organised our own trips (we always organise own in the summer). We generally travel to the western Alps.

Thing is, this time was easily the most expensive but easily the worst trip we have had. So while I'm sulking about it, I thought I'd ask, if I can be so vulgar:

What's the average you guys would spend on a high season week?

Especially interested in those that travel as a pair.

Many thanks and boo hoo.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meta5, there are many threads about this - and the answer is a piece of string. Some people think a couple of thousand pounds a head is quite normal - others would take the whole family for that. I'm sure you know what you overspent on! If you were in the euro zone and are in the habit of indulging yourselves eating and drinking out regularly, then problem solved! But just about all costs of a ski holiday can be readily calculated in advance. One thing we find is that if the weather is bad, you spend more on hot drinks, just to get in the warm and/or dry. We scarcely ever eat out, and are pretty mean with even drinks out on the slopes (because we are here for many weeks we'd be ruined if restaurant lunches were a regular habit) but on Saturday it was so cold, and the vis was so grotty, we had a vin chaud stop at 10 am.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meta5, I guess the overall cost is probably £1,000 each per week. I'm just booking for the first week in Feb now, either half board or fully catered chalet under £600. Lift pass about £200. Lunch, drinks etc about £200. But some are cheaper, some more expensive. Serfaus in March is £650 just B&B so obviously spending money will be more. Last year B&B in Kitzbuhel was £350, with lots of cheap places to eat.

Where did you go and why did you overspend by so much?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
About £1000/week. More if you consider stuff like car park charges. My last TO holiday (a SCGB one) cost me considerably more.
[edit] Actually thinking about it these days the cost is getting close to £1400/week, when going to France.[/edit]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 4-01-10 11:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did quite well in Aviemore last winter because the resort had run out of rental skis, which made it pointless to buy a liftpass.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I booked an all inclusive week with club med val d'isere, second week of march for £2,700 (for the couple). This includes day lessons 5 days a week, unlimited drinks, 3 meals a day, passes, transfers, flights...etc. The only thing you pay for is equipment rental. I could have paid less but for the quality i think this is franly a good deal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reckon on spending around £750 all-in for my long weekend breaks with the chaps
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For us a family of 5 (up until last year was 4) it has ranged from about £600 per head for Austria to over £1300 per head last year in the French Alps Crying or Very sad which is just too much.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is undoubtedly more expensive this year with a devalued £ from the government printing £. I budget £1000/week. I have my own kit & usually get chalet board so after buying a lift pass any extra spending like lunch & drinking is optional but I don't spoil the experience by going without. I often find some deals & spend much less allowing me to push the boat out on the next trip Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I travel solo, and don't go peak season, but I normally expect to spend somewhere around the £700 mark in total (including spending money).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meta5, We've been skiing as a couple for many years and the cost has definitely gone up (but then so have our standards and expectations). I agree that the ballpark figure is £1,000 per week per person. We have our own kit so no hire costs but places like SnowBrainer (see other threads) can save you a huge amount on TO or in resort rates.

However, we have been on some great last minute deals with TO that reduce the cost of accommodation quite considerably. If you can do this on a half board basis it also takes out the high costs of dinner every night. If you are happy drinking cheap wine (and let's face it, who isn't?) if you get wine included as well you can also save a lot. A bottle of wine with dinner every night and a couple of pre/post dinner beers in our (admittedly quite posh) hotel over Christmas racked up a bar bill of €350! However, a big breakfast and a big dinner means we only usually have chocolate stops on the slopes rather than a lunch stop - which also gives you the best skiing while the ski schools are taking their break.

We usually buy supermarket Coca Cola and water for drinking on the lifts rather than paying €3 for something you can get in the Spar shop for €0.65.

You can't do much to reduce the cost of lift passes although we have found over the last couple of years that pre paying for these with the TO gives a better exchange rate than buying in resort. very early booking sometimes gets you a 2-4-1 offer but this is usually not enough to offset the higher costs of accommodation. As suggested, some places include lift passes as an incentive. We went to Superdevolouy where the architecture of the main block leaves a great deal to be desired (we stayed in some more modern s/c apartments) but the skiing was great and not having to fork out €200 a pop for a lift pass was a nice bonus.

The week with the boys is a different matter! This is normally closer to £1500 pp pw. This is not all in extra drinks as we also use scheduled flights at nice times and have a private transfer bus.

At the end of the day you all ski the same pistes so how you spend on your time between skiing is really up to you. Pay your money and make your choice. After all, one of the boy's tour motto's (amongst the more obvious ones) is - "if you want to save money, don't go!" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tiger2:

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "TO"?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, shorthand for Tour Operators
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I pride myself on getting good deals and finding ways to do good holidays cheaper (not cheap holidays, anybody can find 1* accomodation leaving at 3am for cheap!) and budget about £800 per person for everything - flights, accomodation, transfers, food, beer, the lot. That said, we don't go away in peak weeks (no reason for us to, young couple who can take holidays whenever) so can get a chalet deal inc travel for £450-£500 no problemo.

If it was high season cost will go up by £100-£200 depending on where you go, just because the package cost goes up a bit.

Other trick we found this year is to start making arrangements 12 months in advance. By booking this far ahead with a large group, our costs have plummeted. We're spending the same, but we're getting 5 star instead of 3 star accomodation and food, and flying from the nearest airport instead of the cheapest one. Without knowing what's coming next year, any operator who can sell out a complete chalet a year ahead is happy and cuts a deal based on this - if nothing else the deposits help with cash flow and they have virtually guaranteed income from that week.

There seems to still be loads of cheap deals out there, but you have to compromise to get them otherwise - getting buses instead of ski in/out, going to a less well known resort, not eating out or eating out somewhere cheaper, doing shorter lessons in resort and spending a bit more time free skiing as a group, you name it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tiger2 makes some good points. Before we had our own place family holidays were either self catering or cheap, low season, often last minute, catered chalets. With a big breakfast and "tea and cakes" laid on after skiing, if any kids wanted to eat lunch, they spent their holiday money allowance - generally it was a Mars bar on a chairlift, or a plate of chips if we were feeling flush. Take your own duty frees to the chalet and buy mixers and beers from the chalet staff at prices which just gave them a reasonable return on their effort at carrying them. Maybe one evening out in a skittle alley (Austria) with ONE drink a head. One evening meal out for chalet staff night off - but not a three course effort, and with limited drinks. Lift passes and ski lessons were the big outlay, obviously.

We always had a great time, always had plenty of the free wine with supper and always enjoyed the company of others in the chalet, or other friends and family with whom we tended to share big self catering places (so nobody had to cook every night).

The kids knew that if they wanted to go skiing (and they all did) it would be instead of a fancy summer holiday. When they were older teenagers and earning their own money with weeke nd jobs they could spend that in the bars if they wanted (generally they opted for a trip to the local supermarket, a few bottles of cheap French gin and a large crate of beers). One son did moan about travelling by coach one year, and I offered to allow him to pay the difference and fly, if he preferred. He didn't. Twisted Evil

Ski holidays with families are ruinously expensive, but I think they always have been. Although the euro exchange rate is horrible now, I remember days when Austrian schillings also seemed pricey - and as for Swiss francs...... Shocked

I would never stay in a hotel where every cup of coffee and beer had to be bought at restaurant/bar prices.

meta5 - are you teachers, or do you have young children? I don't think you'd generally expect peak week holidays to be "cheap".
ski holidays
Monium, I agree that if you have a chalet sized group of a minimum of about 12 people then booking early allows you to cut some pretty good deals on prices and "extras" such as 2-4-1 lift passes.

However, the OP was specifically about travelling as a pair and my experience is that as a very flexible unit (assuming you are sharing a bed/bedroom) you get the best deals leaving booking as late as you dare.

I also agree that it is better value to get a reduced 5* experience for the price of a "normal" 2 or 3* experience but that is just personal choice. I've also gone for bargain bucket last minute deals in some pretty ropey accommodation just to get an extra week in the white stuff.

I remember going on a last minute deal (book this afternoon, fly at 6.00am tomorrow kind of thing) for £119 pp in a S/C apartment in Serre Chevalier and spending the whole transfer having to listen to a family of 5 moaning about the additional costs invlolved in renting kit, lift passes and food for them all totalling a huge amount.

I really don't think you can do a week's skiing on the cheap due to so many of the costs being inflexible (particularly lift pass prices). That is not to say you can't save money - that is one of the benefits of sites such as these. Use other people's tips if and as they appeal to you.
snow conditions
I'm another £1,000 per week person. I travel solo, always via a TO and always half board with regional flight departure. I also include sundry costs like airport car parking, cattery, spending money. The last four trips have all been roughly the same cost, the only difference is that I've had less spending money due to the exchange rate.

I haven't travelled to France since 2000. That trip cost considerably more, so since then I've stuck to Austria or Italy.
snow conditions
I havent taken many holidays but me and the other half aim for a cheap deal each Jan and try to keep the costs down to maybe £700 each (inc everything but lessons)
latest report
our last ski holiday we did on the cheap and probably paid about £350 each for 5 of us (including 2 children), we have our own gear apart from the children who we have to hire skis for.

we did all our own cooking etc and hardly bought anything out, took our drinks out skiing etc too as in finland everything is very expensive so to keep it to £350 each is good going I thinks

this coming holiday to France so far has cost us £1100 for 5 of us, getting there, accommodation on route, accommodation when we are there, the lift pass for the little ski resort near us us £270 for the 5 of us for the week, naturally we will spend a day at the bigger resorts so will have to get a day pass so this will have to be added on, as for food, we know that £200 will be fine for the week for the 5 of us for catering at the chalet, we still have to hire skies for the kids and pay for parking and added extras but we are still hoping to stay withing the £500 each top wack and hope to come in nearer the £400 each mark
ski holidays
Our costs this year pp for a group of nine in SC accommodation in Samoens is:

Flights: £158.00 (booked back in May 2009)
Accommodation: £178.00
Transfers: £56.00
Lift Pass: £204.00
Pot: £60.00 (thats a money pot by the way to buy food for the week from the local supermarket)

On top of that is eating out and drinks, so add a couple of hundred to the total. Also ski hire for those who need it and travel insurance.
snow report
I've got 4 kids...I prefer not to think about costs...it just depresses me... Crying or Very sad
snow report
Going on annual lads trip to Ischgl in early March staying in the normal 3* B&B and the whole thing will cost me between £1500 & 1600. It doesn't include equipment hire as I have my own but has a very generous beer budget and is for eight nights rather than the seven tha is the norm. I'm also going at Easter with a TO to a 4*hotel in Mayrhofen which is costing £1600 for the two of us. With lift passes, lunches, drinks etc. I'll doubt if I'll see much change out of £2500. The 4* hotel, by the way, isn't my idea, we usually stay in a 3* but she wants a hotel with a swimming pool!!!! Sad
latest report
£3000 full board inc kit hire, lift passes and ski school (so everything except for airport parking and any snacks/drinks bought during the day) for me and 3 kids for a weeks skiing in Transylvania, not the biggest most exciting ski area but looks plenty enough to keep us entertained on our first ski trip
snow report
Outside of half-term, a self catering trip consisting of flights+car hire+apartment+lift pass+equipment should cost no more than about £500. Food and booze is another ton or so, but you'd spend that at home anyway, so not really a holiday cost as such.
ski holidays
Quote:

Outside of half-term, a self catering trip consisting of flights+car hire+apartment+lift pass+equipment should cost no more than about £500.

In Bulgaria perhaps . . .

I think £1K per person is more realistic but I would guess it could be done for a touch less by not being too picky. Lift passes at around £200 (average) make the £300 for flights car hire equipment a bit unlikely.
snow conditions
My cost data is based on between 2 to 3 weeks skiing, drive own car, ski on average 6 to 10 resorts per trip

Consolidated, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006
Crossing + fuel, 655, 712, 681, 691
Accommodation, 1991, 554, 1014, 634
Ski pass, 1066, 535, 416, 618
food, 1465, 612, 612, 854
Non skiing expenditure, 0, 300, 973, 105

Total, 5177, 2713, 3696, 2901

Pure skiing, 5177, 2413, 2723, 2797
No day skied, 15, 11, 12, 14
cost /skiing day, 345, 219, 227, 207

The cost is in £ all-in per couple.

Last year was steep as we ski Engelberg, Davos, Kloster, Flims/Laax, Livigno and St Moritz.
In 2008 we ski the Zillertal Valley and spent the second week in Sivlretta Valley (Ischgl, Kappl, Galtur,Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis).
The money spent in 2007 went to Verbier, Crans Montana, Cervinia/Zermatt, Milky Way, Sere Chavalier, L2A and LDH.
In 2006 we blew the money to ski St Anton/Zurs/Lech, Garmisch Partenkerchen and the Italian Dolomitis mainly in Sella Ronda.

Been doing this type of trips since 1999 sometime twice in a year the full record was kept only after 2006.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 4-01-10 22:20; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
johnnyh wrote:
Quote:

Outside of half-term, a self catering trip consisting of flights+car hire+apartment+lift pass+equipment should cost no more than about £500.

I think £1K per person is more realistic but I would guess it could be done for a touch less by not being too picky. Lift passes at around £200 (average) make the £300 for flights car hire equipment a bit unlikely.

Per person.

Flight for about £75 is normal, equipment the same, 5 seater car for about £250. Do the math(s).

I have never been to Bulgaria. Bet I could do it for about £300.
snow report
saikee, I'm impressed but that's just so organised and anal wink

Me - 2008 Zermatt/Foppolo/Alpe D'Huez/Les Deux Alpes - A bl**dy fortune
- 2009 Tignes/Zermatt/Les Deux Alpes - another bl**dy fortune
- 2010 Tignes/Laax/Les Deux Alpes - even more I guess

if I thought more about the cost it would frighten me Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also, I was just looking at my spreadsheets from past holidays, and the only time I've spent as much as £1k was New Year in Zermatt. Including all food and booze.

Forthcoming holiday in Alpe d'Huez I've spent nigh-on exactly £2000 for a 5 person holiday - flights, car hire, apartment, ski hire for the 3 people who are skiers, lift passes for 3 people + an infant and the non-skier who's kindly babysitting and going for some nice walks.

Bulgaria, LOL. Why does everyone go 'hehehe *smug grin* EASTERN EUROPE amirite' when anyone mentions cheap holidays. Skiing is *dirt* cheap and always has been as long as I've been doing it. Unless you're a mug.
snow report
Although I must confess my goggles did cost £131.95.
snow conditions
For me in the Alps I'd guess the EoSB is going to end up around the same as the per person price of the trip with the kids once I've paid everything.
snow conditions
Mid March trip to Skiamade in Austria, car park at £40 (£10 p.p.) , flights at £80, train transfer near resort €35, free (?) transfer to resort by nice English chalet owners, lift pass £196, equipment hire £130, chalet hire of £152 (8 person chalet), plus food which I disregard as I have to eat wherever I am. Beer and wine are always an issue but are not compulsory!

Total cost = £603

Probably adding on spontaneous purchases of non essential ski gadgets to myself and alchohol I guess the total will be about £750?
snow conditions
Looks about right. £750 total spend is a good benchmark. Anything more is just a vulgar display of excess wealth, like pouring a bottle of decent port over a wheel of Stilton for show.
latest report
Almost certainly whilst wearing one of those blue shirts with a white collar, and a bow tie.
snow report
paulio,

and wearing the goggles that costs £131.95 at the same time.
ski holidays
johnnyh wrote:
Quote:

£200 for a lift pass is on the high side, rather than average, although it does depend somewhat on country. Most of the Austrian ones are between €170-200. (so roughly about £150-180 at current rates).

Flights, if not carrying gear will usually be available for under £100, car hire, if shared between 4 won't be more than £70-80pp, equipment hire about the same, and an apartment for 4 probably around £100-150pp outside peak season and away from the really expensive resorts.

So £500pp if travelling in a group of 4 and not counting food/drink is do-able anywhere outside the expensive mega-resorts.
snow report
Hey,
plymouth -> Grenoble £82rtn (Air Southwest)
Grenoble -> L2A £52rtn (Bensbus)
Studio SC Apartment £220 (sleeps 3)
Liftpass £159 (6days)
totalish £520
I have all my own snowboards etc & Air Southwest don't charge for skis

so plus food & drink of say £180, my holiday will cost £700

hope that helps

Dave
-

I paid for flights in July, Apartment in August, transfer in September. Liftpass in December.
This trip doesn't seem to have cost anything as I have spread it out since July.
snow report
Total door-to-door costs per person from the UK to the European Alps, including everything from transport to accommodation to food to liftpass to equipment to equipment-depreciation to insurance:

Low-end ski vacation = £80 - 170 per day;
Mid-range ski vacation = £170 - 500 per day;
Premium ski vacation = £500+ per day.

Total overall average was around £1000pp per 6-day week in 2009.
snow conditions
A grand for a week, 600 for a long weekend. Anything below is a bonus, anything above an occupational hazard.
snow conditions
Student skiing wahey!

€500 total (everything) for a week in Tignes. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy