Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thule K Summit Chains?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got them, seen them or tried them?

Why are they so good that they are £300 compared to other chains which are approx £40-£90?

Hubby is just in the process of researching kit for the Feb drive out and has come across them on the Polar snowchains site, he has asked me to post for info.

It seems that they are very, very easy to fit.

Grateful for any info, thanks snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never used those expensive Thule jobbies but my experience of chains is that they live 99.9% of their life in their container. Cheap chains aren't exactly difficult to fit either - you just need to have a few goes in the dry daylight to get the hang of it. Personally, I'd go for cheap chains (to satisfy authorities and to get you out of trouble) and invest in winter tyres.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, Thanks. Planning to get a decent set of winter tyres anyway and keep them on here over the winter. Anyone else? snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am also researching K-Summit - very few non-inboard chains fit my tyres (275/35/20) and K-Summit does. There seems to be a difference of opinion at the moment with some suppliers saying that you have to have the exact wheel nut size (which, if true, means you cannot then use them on another vehicle unless the nut size is the same) and another supplier saying that they will supply with an adapter taking it from 17 - 22mm! This is important aa Bode Swiller says, they spend most of their life in their container and for that kind of money, I want to be able to take them with me from car to car! He is also correct that ordinary chains are the better bet PROVIDED your car does not have any inboard cables, brake disks or steering arm issues. Your dealer or handbook will advise you. With the weather the way it is right now, there is nnot a hope of getting delivery of these or any other type of chain inside a fortnight! Good luck! By the way, the alternative to K-Summit is Klack and Go Quattro which also very expensive!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TheEnglishman, Thanks and welcome to snowHead s!

He has ordered them now anyway so we'll see Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Urm a bit late, but i bought a set for my 59 plate mondeo as handbook stated i couldn't use normal chains due to clearance issues. I got mine from Exeter Caravan centre £239 with free postage, bought them in November 2009. Exeter Caravan centre are very helpful.

Absolutely easy to fit once you have adjusted them to size. ( I have the K23's which fit a large range of tyres there are 8 little bits you can take out to adjust the fit.

Tried them in Hertfordshire snow ( work great )

Taking them to France in 22 days time and again in March.

All parts are replaceable and they make the old type chains look a right pain in the butt to fit.

Once i had adjusted them took me about two minutes per wheel to fit.

Build quality and tools that come with them and carry bag are absolute quality
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
New website and £269

http://www.thulesnowchains.co.uk/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timbobaggins, thanks for that good to know Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh and they come with nut adapters so fit 17mm 19mm and 22mm ( two sets in with tools )

mine fit a Mondeo titanium 59 plate and they are K23's
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that Timbobaggins - how long did it take you to work out how mount the plate?- it looks very fiddly in the vids which is why I was preffering the K-Summit as itjust goes onto the wheel without the bother of premounting the plates!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah wrote:
Bode Swiller, Thanks. Planning to get a decent set of winter tyres anyway and keep them on here over the winter. Anyone else? snowHead

Yes, Vredestein Wintrac 4xtremes. Awesome. Simply haven't needed the chains and lately I've been driving places where I would normally have needed them. So, winter tyres and cheapest possible chains (cos they'll probably never leave their packet) and you're all set.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The englishman. I have the Thule K summits they have one attatchment that fits onto one wheel nut when you put the snowchain on. I did not go for the spike spiders which needs a plate bolted to your wheels. Because I looked at the video and if you get a flat tyre you have to take off about 8 bits of kit before you can get at your wheel nuts. With the K summits it is one nut and the whole lot comes off quicker
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timbobaggins - Thanks for that - I misunderstood your first comment - do you know how flexible to different tyres they are - thinking ahead in case my next car has not got the same size wheels and tryes!
Bode Swiller - I agrre winter tyres are probabley the right answer but what do you do with the summer tyres when not in use? - we don't all have garages!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
sarah wrote:

Yes, Vredestein Wintrac 4xtremes. Awesome. Simply haven't needed the chains and lately I've been driving places where I would normally have needed them. So, winter tyres and cheapest possible chains (cos they'll probably never leave their packet) and you're all set.

Thanks! That's what we've got! Arrived and fitted yesterday, they are amazing, we couldn't believe the difference they make. We visited the in-laws today who live up a very steep hill, OH had been last week and there was no way he could get up their hill, no-one else had been up either, went today and we just flew up it. I think we may well be returning the K Summits for cheap chains as you say.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TheEnglishman wrote:
Timbobaggins - Thanks for that - I misunderstood your first comment - do you know how flexible to different tyres they are - thinking ahead in case my next car has not got the same size wheels and tryes!
Bode Swiller - I agrre winter tyres are probabley the right answer but what do you do with the summer tyres when not in use? - we don't all have garages!

They fit a wide range of tyre sizes ( looking at instructions about 20 different sizes )
snow report
Timbobaggins - thanks for that and I think that does it for me! I think winter tyres make a lot of sense if you have somewhere to store them in the summer and if they made them for my wheels (which they do not!) 275/35ZR/20. Even if they did, the cost for me would be astronomical! So far in all this snow and ice, my summer rubber on an Audi A8 Quattro Sport have got me everywhere just fine including my drive which is uphill and long and without any clearing of it either. That does not mean I can stop any better than anybody else but at least I can get started! Thanks for your help Tim - If I lived in Europe I would do what a lot of people do and buy a set of cheap steel wheels and fit them with winter tyres and wharehouse them during summer! Maybe there is a thought for a new business here! Safe driving all and enjoy the snow! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
TheEnglishman wrote:
Stack 'em somewhere with a cover over them maybe. As far as I know, modern winter tyres don't wear alarmingly in the summer and are rated to high speed so can be used all year round. My plan is to leave them on and see how they wear and whether they effect mpg when it gets hot and grippy. Then I have the option to get the old summer tyres put back on for 40 quid.
snow conditions
Bode - I would love to hear how you get on with that experiment and happy to give you my email address for that purpose as, although no Wintracs for my wheels, I believe other makes have them!
snow report
THE ENGLISHMAN i think you need the K34 size and looking at the instructions that fits over 30 different tyre sizes from a 15 inch through to a 20 inch rim
snow conditions
roofrackshop.co.uk reckon the K45 and it comes with adaptors for all different size wheel nuts - they are out of stock at the moment anyway and at £270 I can wait. The price is the same for all sizes anyway!
snow conditions
I have used Snow Socks to great effect in the past and they work really well and cost about £60. So when I purchased a new car I went to order some new snow socks and then heard that Snow socks do not fit 285/30-R19 tyres! So after some research I ordered K33 Thules Summit at £250+ and they are very good indeed. Way better than cheap chains and way easier and quicker to fit. Check ou the video and yes they are that easy and that quick to fit. The adaptor connects to most wheel nuts and different sizes are supplied with the pack. When the chains are not fitted there is nothing left that is fitted to the wheel.

So in summary they are great but do fit them in your garage BEFORE you try them in earnest as first you have to remove a number of yellow links so that they are correct for your tyres and even then first time around they are quite a struggle to get on. Once you have cracked it they are fine and you can see why they cost the money. Normal snow chains would indeed stay in the pack, Thules Summit get used! Smile
snow report
Harry - I have also used Snow Socks on my last A8 but they did not fit this one and am now using them on my wife's TT - they are great and I would recommend the snow tyre and Snow Sock as being the absolute best combination - however, as we generally don't use winter tyres here in the UK, when the time comes (like now) when your summer tyres just don't work, the K Summits (I did go ahead and buythem) are fantastic - easy to fit and surprisingly smooth and quite in use. Remember guys, if you have a 4x4 system, you MUST get chains for ALL four wheels - expensive but cheaper than the cost of repairing the damage you will do to your transmission if you don't! Anyway, I looked at it as an investment as I will take my K45 Summits with me for my next car! By the way, I am not sure if the electronic system on my latest A8 (2007 model) is better than my last one or my 20" tyres or both are the reason that as yet, I have not had to use my chains once during this snow and ice! Solid as a rock and brilliant.
snow report
TheEnglishman wrote:
Remember guys, if you have a 4x4 system, you MUST get chains for ALL four wheels

Read the user manual. Depends on type of four wheel drive system. Above statement not true for old Mk1 Mondeo 4 x 4 or Jag X type according to their respective manuals. Stated required on front wheels only.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy