Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gerlos - A Review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I visited Gerlos from the 26.12.2009 to 02.01.2010. We had never been there before and had never skied in any of the other resorts in the Zillertal. Our previous experience of Austrian skiing has been in the Arlberg, mainly St Anton, so this is what we naturally found ourselves comparing it to.
We were pleasantly surprised by what we found in Gerlos and the Zillertal Arena and I will try and sum up our experience by listing the positives and negatives. To give it some context, we are in our early thirties and are advanced skiers.

Firstly, the positives:

+ Gerlos sits at the centre of the largest linked ski area in the Zillertal. From Gerlos, you can access about 150km of pistes in Gerlos, Zell and Koenigsleiten. This would satisfy most skiers for a week, although I did find myself wanting new challenges by day 5 or 6.

+ There is a mixed terrain, with plenty of reds for the intermediate skier to enjoy.

+ Gerlos is at relatively high altitude by Austrian standards (1250m) so the snow is pretty much assured and you can ski back to the town, so no downloading is necessary at the end of the day.

+ There are many restaurants and bars on the mountains and because of that they never get too busy. Only on the very cold days when everyone wants to sit indoors were there any problems finding a seat.

+ Prices in the restaurants and bars, on the mountain and off it, were very reasonable. A large beer will cost just 3.50 Euro, which compared to the 5 or 6 Euro for the same in St Anton is a huge difference. A wurst and bread is about 3 or 4 Euros, so eating and drinking is quite cheap.

+ A free ski bus runs through the town and others go beyond it, so no matter where you are staying there is a stop near you that the bus will pick you up from and take you to the Isskoegelbahn at the start of the day. They will also take you home at the end of the day as they run until 5.30pm.

+ Gerlos is easily accessible by public transport. From the main Ziller valley, which is serviced by train from Innsbruck, you can get a bus up the Gerlos valley for about 4.50 Euros per person. A taxi will be about 50 Euro from Zell am Ziller.

+ Gerlos seems very child friendly, with many kinder ski school and nice little events for them at the end of the day, with the ski instructors taking on the role of the Butlins yellow coats!

+ There is plenty of accommodation in the town, from expensive 4- and 5-star hotels, so guesthouses and B&B’s. There is something to suit most budgets here.

+ The town is very attractive. The new buildings have been built in the traditional style and mix very well with the original buildings. It feels charming and very clean and tidy.

+ The locals are very gracious and friendly. Make sure you practice your German language before you go, though, as they don’t speak much English (which I think is a good thing)

Now for the negatives:

- There is only one lift from the Gerlos valley up to the ski area (the Isskoegelbahn), so queues are large at the start of the day, especially at ski school time. We had to queue for over 20-minutes on one day, which is pretty poor.

- Lifts on the Gerlos side of the Zillertal Arena are quite slow. This means that they cannot transport the amount of people wishing to use them and there are often longish queues on the middle and upper lifts. The lifts on the Zell side are much better, though.

- There is a lack of advanced terrain, with only one or two black runs.

- There are no evening buses as the shuttle service stops after 5.30pm, so if you stay in town for a drink and a bit of food after the last run of the day, you could find yourself with a long walk in ski boots, carrying skis and poles. Not good.

- There is only one run back into Gerlos, so it becomes crowded at the end of the day.

- The only bars were either swanky hotel bars or very rowdy music bars. There was only one place we found (the Milchbar) that was a happy medium, but even then I didn’t feel that my ski boots were particularly welcome footwear.

- There is a complete lack of Austrian après ski (see below) and Austrian atmosphere.

- The town is almost exclusively Dutch. This is no bad thing as the Dutch are lovely people, but 95% of the visitors are from Holland. This means that the culture is very Dutch-centric. For example, the most lively après ski bar, Cin-Cin, has Dutch bar staff, a Dutch DJ who MC’s in Dutch and only plays music popular in Holland (techno). It also has Dutch memorabilia all over the walls. This leaves the non-Dutch amongst us feeling very much like an outsider! This was the same at other après ski bars such as Little London and Luigi’s Turbo Bar. This is much less inclusive than I have experienced in more nationally mixed towns. The heavy Dutch presence also meant that, at times, the town took on the guise of a Dutch holiday camp that could be a little insensitive to the other visitors. For example, after 7pm the restaurants often became busy with groups of drunken Dutch people (from Cin Cin!) who would then proceed to get rowdy and shout across the restaurant to other groups of Dutch people, singing songs and presumably playing on friendly local rivalries. It was pretty harmless, but it still didn’t make it very comfortable for the couples or families who had gone for a quiet and enjoyable meal. If I had to sum it up, I would say the Dutch in Gerlos are aware of their vast majority and conduct themselves with a bit of an arrogant swagger.

- The main road runs through the centre of town. Many of the Dutch and German visitors would not use the free bus service, but would prefer to load up their cars at their hotel and then drive the 800m up to the free car park at Isskoegelbahn and get ready there. This resulted in the town centre becoming a bit gridlocked in the morning and at last lift. Why they didn’t just jump on they free ski bus is beyond me.

In conclusion, I would go back to Gerlos as it has good skiing and is good value, but I think I would go in low season and outside of Dutch national holidays!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the slow speed of the chairlifts is pretty accurate because the resort is long from Zell to Koenigsleiten.

I met a couple who stayed in Gerlos in one year and elected to stayed at Zell in another year just to try out the terrain adequately.

The Gerlos resort to the Dutch sounds like Meribel to the British.

Looking at the geography I could not understand why people would choose to stay at Gerlos which is like OP said at the middle of Zillertal Arena. Zillertal Arena is long and narrow pretty much like a piece of string and Gerlos heppens to be somehwere at the mid point. Strategically staying at Zell would be better except accommodation may be harder to get, more expensive or rather TOs do not have much to offer. Zell or Zell am Ziller is at the head of the string. It is much bigger but most important of all it lies at the trunk route of the Zillertal Valley where one can ski Mayrhofen, Hintertux, Hochzitertal, Spieljoch, Ahorn and Gerlosstein. The distance from Gerlos to Zell is 16km but Mayrhofen, Katenback (for Hochzillertal) , Gerlosstein and Ahorn are all within a radius of 10km from Zell. The buses on the trunk road service Hintertux (26km) and Fugen (16km) as well. The geometry of Zillertal Arena can be easily imagined because the road distance from the head of the string at Zell to the end of the string at Krimml is 37km. The entire 6 to 7 unlinked resorts in Zillertal Valley between Fugen and Hintertux lie on the trunk road over a distance of 41km. Zillertal Arena is a long side branch at the middle.

I did try to drive to Gerlos once staying at Mayrhofen but the road was too long and treacherous so I eventually settled to ski Gerlosstein instead. On anther day I drove to Zell and skied from there to Konigsleiten. Gerlos struck me as a beginner friendly area and very well presented. I was on a 4x4 so Gerlos isn't exactly a place easy to get at. I didn't stay long enough to learn it was infested by the Dutch.

I think there is a misconception of the skiers staying at Gerlos prefer to drive to the slope locally and not taking the free bus. Some of the reasons I could think of are

(1) If a group of visitors are on their last day they would carry everything to the slope and leave at the end of the day.
(2) Some of the cars causing gridlock in the town may be visitors coming from the outside the resort.
(3) The skiers may have a second agenda to visit another resort within Zillertal Valley so it is more convenient to take the car along.
(4) It is generally safer (reduced walking with boots) and quicker to take the car to the chairlift station in a place like Gerlos. Visitors with cars are able to stay away from the town at cheaper accommodations.

I don't think I have bad things to say for Gerlos but it is only a section of the Zillertal Arena, which comprised of 163km piste formed by Zell/ Gerlos/Konigslieten/Krimml. Zillertal Arena is one of the 6 to 7 unlinked resorts in the Zillertal Valley which has a total of 452km piste. Zillertal Arena is indeed the largest because the second largest Mayrhofen has only 157km formed by Penken/Horberg/Rastkogel/Eggalm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy