Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guardian newspaper says don't ski off piste at present.

Poster: A snowHead
The Guardian yesterday had a full page headed "60 years after 'winter of terror', Alpine resorts fear killer avalanche season" http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/01/avalanches-alps-scotland

Quotes:

"Heavy snowfall combined with rain and an easing of the extreme cold prompted Météo France, the national meteorological service, to raise the avalanche warning this week to level four out of five, meaning "high risk".
"We haven't had temperatures so mild and such a high level of rain for several years," said a spokesman for the police in Chamonix, who said the rescuers had been called out to six or seven avalanches since the beginning of December. "This year it has rained a lot and the rain has weighed down the blanket of snow. The effect has been to destabilise the snow and … this has led to avalanches," he added. .............."

"As tourists pile into the welcoming resorts of the French, Austrian, Swiss and Italian Alps, however, it is this region that is causing greatest concern. And, while monitoring the weather conditions is considered vital, there is a single recommendation upon which all experts agree: skiing off-piste, the favoured option of many adrenaline junkies, is to be avoided at all costs. "We are strongly advising against it," said Daniel Goetz, an avalanche forecaster for Météo France."
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does this mean the pistes will be clogged up with 'adrenaline junkies' to scare us recreational skiers with their crazy antics?

Where is the tongue-in-cheek smiley?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Someone already flagged that article, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1417082&highlight=winter+terror#1417082 . It's interesting, but it does at times seem to take some journalistic shortcuts .

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-01-10 14:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Heinz Walter Mathys, a lawyer and president of the Swiss commission for the prevention of snow sports accidents, said anyone found to have triggered an avalanche through irresponsible skiing could, and should, face some form of civil or criminal proceedings. But he added: "Resorts, whose mission it is to keep the ski slopes safe and inform skiers about the dangers of avalanches, can also be held responsible."

I know there have been cases against skiers in France - looks like the Swiss are getting minded that way, too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, I can understand their ideas with that, but how do you go about proving it?!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
Guardian newspaper says don't ski off piste

Very appropriate for a guardian
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
does this mean all our insurance is invalid as we've ignored the guardian? wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen wrote:
Someone already flagged that article, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1417082&highlight=winter+terror#1417082 . .

Oops - I looked on search late-ish last night and there was nothing, then put it in this morning without another search.

I wonder how general the grade 4 avalanche level is at present. Anyone got any current gradings in their area?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were at three today.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not very I don't think. Between 2 (moderate) and 3 (considerable) in Tirol (and Chamonix I think), but obviously it changes frequently and is very local. I think the Guardian article was perhaps a little alarmist (?), although the subject matter is obviously serious. I would have thought the rain should have percolated through the snow pack now and the cold weather should be starting to stabalise things at least at lower levels? That doesn't mean that there may not be problems with weak layers or poor bonding and of course I would have though that the avalanche risk will likely increase if there were new snowfall, significant wind or another bout of warming.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, You'll get them all (in english....) here -> http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Avalanche-Bulletin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
allanm, thanks, I didn't know about that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen wrote:
I think the Guardian article was perhaps a little alarmist (?)
The British press alarmist about skiing! How unusual wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, That is, you get them all except for Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Germany (in fact anywhere outside France).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, OK, you can only get them for France from that link. ..Sorry...
But, do the other countries have similar sources of information?
snow conditions
allanm, This one has links to all the European warnings, as far as I can tell

http://www.avalanches.org/

But not all of those then have English versions - some do, some don't.
ski holidays
The Swiss already do an English forecast: see www.slf.ch. I will do some more work on the French translation over the next week to see if I can improve it further. Meteo France already do an English version of the bulletin, but they don't make it public!

Someone posted this useful information to PisteHors about avalanche resources

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/222/

Regarding the Grauniad article, as the expert says, too early to say but the Lanchettes avalanche occured at risk 3 and the Orelle at risk 2 - from the official Meteo France bulletins.

To put some perspective on it. At the same time last year we had had 6 fatal avalanche incidents in France, we have had 5 this season. Last season we had avalanches hitting villages in the southern french alps, but because there were no Brits that didn't count for the Guardian.

For a more rational analysis of what happened last season in France see here:

http://skirando.com/images/avalanche/avalanche-analysis-2009.pdf
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy