Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Berghaus

Poster: A snowHead
This used to be a top brand, but is now seen in any discount stores? Should I be tempted or has it gone the same way as Karrimor in respect of quality?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think its main appeal is for the 55-75 year old daily mail reader who does a 3 mile walk on the flat but feels the need for boots, poles, 70litre sac, hat, Etc. Etc.

Saying that, I have a fleece from 10 years ago, and it is still going strong.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mfamily2, I have a great bombproof Berghaus cycling jacket. but I haven't seen anyone decent skiing in Berghaus for 10 years.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother, that could explain my 10 year old Berghaus walking/skiing/car fixing jacket. It is not stylish but it is a fantastic work tool on which nothing has ever broken!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Everyone seemed to wear them 20 - 10 years ago, seemed to come after Nevica. Strange how brand perceptions change. TNF became cool but seems out. Arcteryx will no doubt only be worn by people playing bingo in 5 years.

Shallow bunch us skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It definately doesn't hold the same appeal it did a few years ago - just don't much like their stuff anymore.
A few items I bought a few years ago I still use though- a fleece for garden work Smile and some waterproof walking trousers, they're not used all that often as I tend to avoid walking in rain!

I wouldn't have thought the quality has dropped off especially (don't know for sure, haven't bought anything for a while), just not as "trendy" as it might have been. If that bothers you... Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Everyone seemed to wear them 20 - 10 years ago, seemed to come after Nevica. Strange how brand perceptions change. TNF became cool but seems out. Arcteryx will no doubt only be worn by people playing bingo in 5 years.

Shallow bunch us skiers.

Already spotted on loads of >50s at Geneva Airport in December, managed to quench the remains of my Arc'teryx lust. Mmmmm Norrona Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so what is a cool piece of kit then ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blockhead,
Whatever you personally like. Dont worry about the masses.

bob
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brands come and go I suppose, and also seem to vary from nation to nation. Go in a store here, and you'll only find Schöffel, TNF and Mammut.

I too have a Berghaus cycling jacket, best for use in spring though, when you need something for the speed-induced wind chill. Also have a Berghaus goretex pullover jacket, but I think the seams have gone now and it leaks a bit (10yrs+ old). Both were bought not because of the name, but because they looked like they'd do the job, and both were EOL bargains.

Maybe the BBC making all their presenters wear Berghaus branded fleeces on TV a few years back made them undesirable?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've gone with my gut feeling and made a purchase of a Berghaus Akka down tjacket which I found at a reasonable price in Winfields, will test it out in Dolomites in two weeks!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Already spotted on loads of >50s at Geneva Airport in December

have you any idea how it feels to be referred to with such thoughtless disdain? Do you think people actually want to grow old? It sucks, I can tell you.

It''ll come to you soon enough, life goes by in a blink of an eye Sad

afaik Berghaus was never really a skier's brand, except perhaps for back country stuff. My local outdoor shop has one or two Berghaus fleeces and still sells the excellent Yeti gaiters, but none of the many Gore-Tex jackets etc. of yore. mfamily2, is the Akka waterproof like the Crux and some Rab down?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yoda, This is what it says "AF nylon face fabric which is treated with an excellent DWR water shedding treatment that is durable to home laundry" whatever that means, I got it for the warmth essentially, if it rains I will be in a bar. As for the 50's quote I am 2 years away but would pitch myself against many half that age, you are as young as you feel. Cheers health and happiness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year i bought a Mera Peak Berghaus jacket for hill and mountain walking which has performed well. Dont use it for skiing as is does not have a sleeve pocket for a lift pass.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mfamily2, Having just had a nice pub lunch with a lovely woman less than 2/3 my age I feel fine thank you Laughing

If you don't find a down jacket too warm for skiing you might consider the Crux Plasma when your Berghaus wears out wink Really light and the Event fabric works a treat.

I bought a Mera Peak jacket about 25 years ago - and last used it on a skiing trip in 1998 Madeye-Smiley
snow report
In fact, here I am wearing it in 1998 Shocked
ski holidays
Yoda, very smart
snow report
I had a great set of Berghaus Boots. Left them in the shed over the summer this year and a colony of bumble bees decided to set up home in one of them! managed to evict them but just couldn't bring myself to wear them after that....gutted!!!
ski holidays
Just my two pennies worth- I'm in my 20s and when I was at uni quite a lot of people wore Berghaus- I had a windproof fleece that was ideal for walking to lectures every day, & one of my housemates had a berghaus down jacket. Also my boyfried skiied in a bright blue berghaus shell until last year when he decided he wanted something insulated- he was really easy to follow wearing it! He still weras it for walking. Maybe we are just really uncool though...
latest report
mfamily2, Looking at the recent advertising campaigns by Berghaus, and articles in ski mags, they have only just launched into the ski specific market,
I think the explanation for the low pricing is that they are trying to introduce it to the ski masses as part of a marketing campaign.
I believe it will be an up and coming ski brand, judging by the new jackets etc..
latest report
There were lots of Berghaus jackets sold as ski jackets around about 20 years ago. They led the move from the Blouson style jacket to the more technical coat style. Quite often they were in grey/red, grey blue combinations. Most of them seemed to come with a beard attached. As these were pre-widespread use of the internet I suspect images may be hard to find.
latest report
Berghaus are more of a climbing brand, always have been and probably always will be. They make top kit that's just as good as any other brand. It's not quite as cool as some of the up and rising brands that we all think are cool nowadays, but that's because they've been around a lot longer and are probably seen as being more traditional, rather than contemporary.
snow conditions
I use a Berghaus jacket for walking and find it brilliant. The main thing that 'dates' it is the fact that it's longer than the average current women's ski jacket, and also less tight-fitting. (I can't take my new jacket skiing next week - it feels too tight, after seasonal gluttony Embarassed for comfort, especially with the extra layers I'm going to need for the forecast low temps. So it's back to the trusty fb and my Berghaus as back-up. Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
I've got a Berghaus ski jacket that's new, and it's completely brilliant, in fact stood up much better than a Goretex North Face jacket in the Chamonix rain last week. Who cares about the label, it's what the material does that counts, and I would totally recommend their kit.
snow report
I bought a Berghaus Gore-Tex jacket sometime around 1976, which must have been about the time Gore were granted the patent and therefore one of the very first Gore-Tex jackets available. A not very pleasing rusty red colour as I recall and horrendously expensive for the time, but it worked. Wish I still had it - could be a collector's item Madeye-Smiley

Some of the Berghaus dyes, especially deep purple, fade after 15 years or so of (occasional) high altitude UV exposure.
snow report
Getting back to my Jacket which I have now worked out is 7 years old, it has done many trips, been awlking jacket and usd afrequently for outdoor stuff. It looks a bit faded and scruffy but I can brush by blackthorn hedges and the like and it doesn't rip, click, or snag. It was £110 and, apart from my Nordica Speedmachine Smallzookeeper fitted boots, has been my best skiing buy.
snow conditions
Looking at this history it must have been 1977, and I think I paid about £40 for it Shocked
snow conditions
I rock Berghaus rucksacks and base layers, and I'm not an >50.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, I'm rocking Berghaus gtx walking boots in work today and I'm only slightly over half way to 50 Smile
snow conditions
Had a look at a Berghaus Extreme skiing jacket in Tiso at lunchtime. Looks nice, if a bit over fussy in the detail, and it has a problem. It's hanging up next to much nicer Marmot, Mountain Equipment and TNF stuff that's the same price and a fair bit nicer and less chav looking!
snow report
I have Berghaus fleeces and base layers. Sad

But I wear them under my Burton [AK] jacket and pants cos I is a dood Cool
snow conditions
I use a berghaus trango extrem shell jacket, gortex XCR, its quite a simple, seems to keep all the bad stuff out and breathes well, but lining of fabric inside jacket is very soft and it has worn quite badly in places. Looks ok, anonomous to be honest, blue and grey. It was very inexpensive from a friend, who it was miles too big for. Not sure if i would pay the full price at £250 considering the wear. (i am not >50 by the way!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy