Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF speed tests?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone here ever taken a 'fleche' or 'chamois' speed test in France? This is how they work...

Open to all (you don't have to be on an ESF course), often on a Friday, the forerunners have a 'handicap', based on times of French team members (benchmark 'O'). Then in the speed test you take part in (either GS or slalom) a sliding scale of times is established based on the two openers' time/handicap ratios....

eg: best opener manages 45" in a GS (over 25 to 35 gates, vertical drop of 200-250 metres). (All times off the top of my head...)

Gold fleche : sub-48"
White gold (vermeil) : 48"01 - 50"45
Silver : 50"46 - 52"01
Bronze : 52"02 - 58"85
Flechette : 58"86 - 60"05

Same system applies for a slalom (Chamois award, 30 - 40 gates, 120 - 200 m drop)

It's really just an indication of standard rather than anything more substantial. (After all, if the two openers take their time, or are having a bad day....) Doesn't cost much to enter though, and it's fun seeing how good you are trying to combine technique and speed. You can book one or two runs at the ESF office up to the morning of the test. So, if anyone's ever had a go, care to admit to how you got on?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My son then 13 had go last year in La Rosiere, he managed to achieve bronze for his fleche. Not bad for a once a year skier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll admit to a couple of attempts in my early years. I crashed badly in both. Later I managed the vermeil, just - not pretty to watch though, and the forerunner - a mate - later told me that he'd taken it pretty easy. Embarassed So since I've decided to leave it to the young, enthusiastic, and far more talented....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im for Les Arcs at Easter, does anybody know if I can have a go there? I did a bit of slalom racing in school so it would be interesting to see what I can remember!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the US, there is a similar system called NASTAR. Shorter, though, I think, and only "recreational GS". Many resorts also have a "coin op" race course, too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ssh, The only 'pay as you go' course I've come across in France is at Tignes (GS & slalom). Bit strange though - they had some pretty impressive names as having set the standards... Bode, Fred Covilli.... but they were timed at the start of the season, and I presume they do reset the course now and again?! What's more, with the number of people having a go all day long, the course was in a sorry state by the end of the day! Still, good training for when you get a low bib number.

The ESF system is more formal - points are recorded, if you are already a gold flèche for example you have a high start number. During the season the points are also used for qualifying purposes for certain ESF-run races, including the national 'Coq d'Or'.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mjg, No problem, just go to the ESF office in the resort. They'll give you details of when the next chamois/flèche is, you can usually pay for 1 or 2 runs. You then make your own way on the morning of the run to the bottom of the course where the bibs are allocated before the race. Get there early enough for a course inspection, but they won't let you do a practice run. If you haven't raced for a while though, might be hard to get in the perfect run first time out!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a free dual slalom at whistler, I creamed the pants off my snowboarding mate despite giving him a head start to the first gate
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a NASTAR about ?14 years ago. My time was about 15% over my instructor's - whose age was about 100% over mine! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've skied with gold ESF racers and gold NASTAR racers - not on the same planet I'm afraid. Having said that it does vary a lot from resort to resort, as some take it more seriously and the openers try harder. Some also have easier courses/slopes. At any rate, if someone gets a gold in the ESF system they can ski a bit, wherever they got it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I skied Flachau, Austria back in 2001 there was a course where you paid a euro or two to run a set of gates. The better skiers were getting times of 55' and under - anyone know if these Austrian courses are comparable to the French ones?

Went for it and ended up on me head, a slow ski limp past the last gate before it got dark. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, the times are only relevant on that particular course on that particular day. Most "punter" GSs are likely to be comparable to each other though, wherever they are. The difference in the ESF system is that some resorts take it more seriously than that and put up "proper" courses - long, difficult and fast. I did a Fleche once in ValD from the ladies downhill start on Orange. 65 gates and times of around 65-70 secs - that was VERY real. NehNeh Embarassed Crying or Very sad On the other hand the Fleche here is short and easy with about 30 gates and quite slow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark Hunter has done the Fleche and got a Bronze, first time out, I know there's another snowhead who also did the Fleche. The day that Mark did it the course time was set by Joel Chenal who was rtaed 5th in the world in GS and he wasn't hanging about.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup, I tried it the same day as Mark and DNF’d straight off the side at the first turn, but then, with only a ski boot holding my foot to my leg I’ve got a bit of an excuse? I don’t revel in my crapness but I’m not embarrassed by it (well not too much), so if get some lessons at the PSB, I might just make that forth consecutive turn rolling eyes. Unless I'm still thought to be too dangerous to accompany anyone onto the hill Skullie.

That's me, the Fifth Horseman 'bringer of death cookies and breakable crust, chewer of P'tex' Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, I thought most of the punters on the hill were pretty safe during our charge up to Arc 2000 and back wink ... mind you, you were on a board at the time Laughing
snow conditions
First time I tried it I got silver, but I'd never skied gates before. Second time I practiced the day before and got my skis waxed and sharpened, and scraped vermeil. Must have beenabout 10 years ago.

Here is the system exactly:

Principles of the Chamois and Fleche tests
One or several instructors who have been accredited as openers by the “Syndicat National des Moniteurs du Ski Français” open each test.
Each opener has a handicap calculated in comparison to that of the members of the French Team who are used as a benchmark with a handicap of “0”. The handicap obtained by each competitor is calculated by dividing his course time by the opening time used for the test.
It is exactly the same method, expressed as a percentage, between the competitor’s time and the opening time. The handicap is given in SKIOPEN points.

Example of the Calculation:
During a “Flèche” test, a skier “Peter” manages a time of 57”40
and the opener “John”, who has a handicap of 8 (meaning he has achieved a time 8% slower than French World cup skiers) manages a time of 45”.

Base Time (representing the handicap 0)
45'' / 1.08 = 41''66

Calculation of the Fleche competitor’s handicap:
(57''40 x 100 / 41''66) - 100 = 37,78 points
ie he gets Flèche d'argent (silver) [see standards below]

FLECHE "TIMED GIANT SLALOM"
25 to 35 gates with a vertical drop of 200-250m

All of the contestants ski down the same course and depending on the number of SKIOPEN points obtained, they are awarded:

00,00 and 17 points   FLECHE D'OR
17,01 and 30 points   FLECHE DE VERMEIL
30,01 and 45 points   FLECHE D'ARGENT
45,01 and 60 points   FLECHE DE BRONZE
60,01 and 65 points   FLECHETTE

CHAMOIS "TIMED SPECIAL SLALOM"
30 to 40 gates and a vertical drop of 120-200m

All of the contestants ski down the same course and depending on the number of SKIOPEN points obtained, they are awarded:
00,00 and 17 points   CHAMOIS D'OR
17,01 and 35 points   CHAMOIS DE VERMEIL
35,01 and 55 points   CHAMOIS D'ARGENT
55,01 and 75 points   CHAMOIS DE BRONZE
75,01 and 80 points   CABRI

In other words if you skied 17% slower than the hypothetical World Cup skier you get 17 points (and get the gold, but only just).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 21-07-05 14:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
xxx

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 21-07-05 14:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The effort put in by the forerunner is a key factor, although most go for it for fear of being beaten by someone takiing the test. It sounds tough, and it is, although the relatively short course means considerably more people are in with a chance of getting their little badge than would achieve it on a full FIS length GS. Over 50-60 gates, only the very best won't make at least one major mistake to put themselves out of contention. Not just skill either, fitness and concentration play a big part in getting to the bottom unscathed.

They ran the British Children's Championship SuperG over virtually the same length course as the Juniors last April in Meribel. Even the top youngsters, on the snow most of the year, were shattered by the time they got to the bottom.

Back to the flèche, the gates aren't eactly set in the most testing configuration either, in most cases.

All that said, I've seen French race club ten year olds scraping their golds despite only weighing 25 kgs, so it can be done!
ski holidays
Of course when I did it was just before carving skis started. I wonder if they level the standards any.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy