Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKIING V BOARDING

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi ive been snowboarding for 15 years now but never have i skied, is it easy to learn as im very intrested in learning to ski
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boozy, yeah, it's pretty easy. Give it a go.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boozy, Yeah it's a different feeling but if you've got confidence with all your experience and good balance you'll be up and running in no time. The only downside is that it takes longer to be competent in powder on skis than it does on a board. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was the other way round. I had skied since childhood so when I did my season back in the early 90s I decided to learn to snowboard. I made a pact with myself to stick at it for a month. The month only lasted 3 weeks, but I'm glad I did it. I think with snowboarding it's easier to master the basics but too many things about it irritated me (flat bits, lifts, not being able to stand and chat). Skiing feels faster to me and more controllable (easier to make a sudden change of direction to avoid a hazard). Snowboarding feels more relaxed and easier to cope with deep or slushy snow whereas skis are better on icy hardpack. Potatoes, potartoes, but it's nice to be able to do both.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the replys, def gonna make the switch ill have a few lessons over here in the domes.i.e 2 day full course £150 then 1 day paralel turn course then i should be up and running after a few days on real snow. as im going to do a rd trip nxt season so want to be doing both and make the most of it, nice new board and ski,s Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boozy, I did exactly this, this year. Been boarding for 12 years.

I bought a pair of skis last year and had one 3 hour private lesson, during a snowboard week with the lads in Nendaz. It was different! I initially struggled with the concept of body facing down the fall line, for the first couple of hours. I kept trying to lead the turns with the shoulders and ending up facing up the hill. However I did get over this. Instructor said it was quite common for boarders learning to ski. I was just about parallel on reds by the end of the 3 hours, but not with any grace. Forcing it round a bit! The instructor said he thought I would pick it up quite quickly, though. Obviously the fear factor wasn't present as I was used to tearing all over the mountain, so blues and easy reds didn't faze me and I just threw my body into it. That was it for a year.

Just been went to Crans Montana with the missus the week before Christmas. She boards to a decent standard, but I am ahead of her and know I would have got frustrated with it being just the 2 of us(I'm sure alot of other halves experience this!). So ,I left the board at home and skied the whole 4 days.
I had another 4 hour private lesson on the first morning and then was off with other half for the rest of the trip. I progressed quite quickly and was keeping up on piste with what I considered to be fairly decent skiers. Had a few stacks here and there when pushing it a bit. Stacks are different to boarding as it all seems in slow motion, I felt myself going, and not like when you learn to board and end up smashing front and back(side) every 5 minutes.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely ski more when we go in a group later in season. I'd like to think I will be a fairly decent on-piste skier within a week. Keeping up with the missus. I had a few ventures off the side of piste in skis. First impressions are that off-piste skiing is going to take a bit more practice than boarding did!

I am really glad I did it as I now have the options to ski when conditions dictact piste bashing only. eg Firm or icy or not much cover. I'll stick the board on if there is off-piste opportunity, I guess, although I may never be a good off-piste skier if I stick to this! Problem is I don't think I could stand watching boarders having all that fun in the fresh as I go up the lift on a pair of skis!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks geoff, im quite looking forward to the change, but i wil try ad train more on the offpiste part, as ive seen that many skiers trying to follow a boarder in pow with normal skis on they just sink, so speed is requires as well as wider ski,s which im already looking at bying some volkl,s as well as a new fish board (either santacruz fish, or burton fish, salomon sick stick . so gonna be spendinga few grand tjis comig year on new gear and lessons and my 8 week trip nxt winter, keep in touch m8 and happy new year
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All the best boarders also ski
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boozy, That's a plan!, I tell you what I found weird, if I boarded for a day going back to skis the next day I was all over the shop for a few hours. It's easier to ride switch on skis than on a board so you've got loads of things to look forward to trying out and comparing the sensations.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks all and best wishes for all your powder trips
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It'll be either to turn skiing. Or so I've heard that it's harder to turn on a board.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy