Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dumb transceiver question!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Ok, I'm thinking about buying a transceiver (and no - let's not start another debate about which one to buy - it'll end up with bloodshed between the S1 supporters and detractors!)

My dumb question isn't about how to use it for searches, it's about using it as a beacon/transmitter.

Are you supposed to leave it switched on in transmit mode all the time while you're skiing off piste, or are you supposed to only switch it on when you're in danger territory?

My confused brain is thinking - need to switch it on and leave it on all the time - but would that confuse searchers if loads of people have got transmitters switched on? Verses only switch it on if you need to, but by then it may be too late?!

Help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leave it on all the time, you never know where the danger areas are and if you switch it off you may forget to switch it on again. I switch mine on when I put it on and only switch it off when I take it off. The range is short enough that people unconnected with the rescue effort are very unlikley to interfere with the signal of the victim.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Absolutely! Switch it on when you leave in he morning, switch it off when you come home at night. Do not turn it off at lunch, you may forget to switch it on again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I switch mine on in the morning and check the battery I leave mine on all the time and check it in transmit and search a couple of times a day.
I encourage others to do the same.
I dont do "danger territory". I only go in safe off piste areas for the conditions.
The transceiver is a LAST resort when a bad mistake has happened or unforeseeable slide occurs.

If there is a slide and you are close, switch it to search regardless if you are searching.

Get yourself a cuppa and sit down and read this ...

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Avalanches

This is more pertinent to your second question ...

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Immediately-After-The-Avalanche

If you get a chance go to henry's avalanche talk. ( think there is an online one now)

http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/

tux
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you find yourself in the aftermath of a slide get involved and get off transmit as many signals could confuse searchers. Otherwise. always on transmit, and always on whatever you're doing. Like a helmet, you cannot predict when you will need it at the beginning of the day. If you are stil in doubt read about the death in CHamonix on Christmas day. A few feet from a piste in a blizzard. A tranceiver could have made the difference.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you find yourself in the aftermath of a slide get involved and get off transmit as many signals could confuse searchers. Otherwise. always on transmit, and always on whatever you're doing. Like a helmet, you cannot predict when you will need it at the beginning of the day. If you are stil in doubt read about the death in CHamonix on Christmas day. A few feet from a piste in a blizzard. A tranceiver could have made the difference.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All

Thanks for the swift answers, and the additional detail and explanations. Great advice indeed!

Tux - I don't tend to ski "danger territory" either! If I'm going completely off piste I won't do it without a guide. But I do often ski the "off piste" sections between marked pistes and ski down the same route as the piste but 30-40 feet inside the treelines that run alongside. Having heard about the dreadful fate of the skier in Chamonix recently who got buried by a mini avalanche whilst skiing between pistes, I figured that a transceiver should be a must piece of equipment for me (and another for my partner).

cheers all.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Battery life in transceivers is several weeks of normal skiing days. Ortovox web site shows 250 hours transmitting for the S1 and 300 hours for the F1 Focus. 250 hours at 8 hours per day gives 31 days. Search practice will reduce this a little. Much like other people state here, my transceiver is turned on before leaving my accommodation at the start of the day. It is turned off when I have finished skiing for the day. I put new batteries in at the start of each skiing holiday. The old batteries have plenty of juice left so are used in other non-life-saving gear.

Buying one for yourself, Arrows, and another for your partner is good. But more importantly, all of your off piste skiing partners should have them. Transceivers are most effective when everyone in the group has one, anything less can be fatal. Suppose the party member without a transceiver gets buried, the other peoples transceivers cannot help. Suppose instead that the only searcher it the person without a transceiver.

Having got the transceivers, practise searching with them. Have a look at Henry's Avalanche Talk, if possible go to one of Henry's talks and attend a transceiver training session. If you cannot attend Henry's sessions then ask here and I am sure some Snowhead will know where to go for search training and avalanche awareness where you are going.

If the worst happens and you do need to search for a person then, having found them, how will you dig them out? The literature says that digging with hand or skis is very inefficient. So consider getting a shovel and a probe. (The probe helps you avoid digging in the wrong place.)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adrian - thanks for the advice, actually no, your advice has just cost me yet another small fortune.

I've now purchased 2 transceivers, a "stash" pack, shovel, probe and tiny lightweight first aid kit WITH foil blanket. Shocked

Still, with the Face West points scheme, I now have a "free" £45 to spend on a couple of pairs of new socks.... Very Happy

Luckily, the group I ski with are already sufficiently equipped, and now I am too. What price can you put on safety eh?!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arrows wrote:
What price can you put on safety eh?!

The price of a decent avy course!!!!?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy