Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis - to buy or not to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
I had always said that I wouldn't consider buying skis because I only ever get one week a year on the slopes and various sessions at MK and Hemel. Hiring seems to make sense because you always get the latest skis - in theory.

However I talked to someone last night who had bought a pair because he belived that the payback would be around 5 years (1 week a year same as me) and that even after 5 years he had a pair of skis which had only done 5 weeks. His other argument is that having found a ski that he liked, he found that he benefitted from not having to get used to a new ski every time.

Finally, since I usually train or drive to the Alps there wouldn't be any additional cost from travelling.

What does everyone think about that? Is it worth considering buying?

cheers

K
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosciosco, I agree entirely with the person you talked to. I've found a ski I like and now going to buy it. I generally go once a year and will have to pay for carriage as well but still think it's worth it after spending 2 hours waiting for hire skis, getting a pair I didn't like and then having to return to the shop again later to change them.

How much were you thinking of spending though ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Considering how much it costs to rent skis these days, it would most likely work out cheaper in the long run to purchase a set of your own which you can keep. Can always trade them in/sell them on when you're done.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the question should have been which skis to buy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blockhead wrote:
the question should have been which skis to buy

You stole the words right out of my mouth!

I have a budget of around £250

I was wondering if there is somewhere I can go to test skis in the UK? Do Ellis Brigham do it at the MK snowdome?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, I have made the decision to buy this season. Although financially it doesn't make a huge amount of sense as I only ski one week per season and travel by air (so £30 airline carriage versus £70 hire charge), I have found the quality of hire skis to be quite poor and the choice limited. I have bought secondhand skis in pristine condition for £200. Yes it will take me 5 years to break even but I'm thinking I'll enjoy my skiing more on skis I feel more confident with.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At £78 per week for adult skis, and £30 for adult boots (I only did the sums last night), it doesn't take long to recoup the investment in your own gear. If you are in your own car its a no brainer in my opinion.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, How did you decide which skis to go for? Did you test them first? Where did you get the secondhand skis?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosciosco, I've just paid £400, so will need some extra years to recoup but it gives me an excuse to go more times in a year now Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not only does it make sense money wise to buy your own skis but safer too, i like knowing the bindings are set to my weight and will release at the right times.
How many times have you seen hire skis with different settings for each side with one ski releasing on its own while coming down the mountain and the other as if its welded to your foot !!!
The hard bit comes when choosing the ski you want to buy Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't forget to add in the costs of servicing / waxing / sharpening etc but at 2 weeks a year and the current exchange rates no question about the advantgage of buying your own. You can test Snow and Rock skis at Hemel (so long as the ski you want is not in Mnachester and "jobsworth" says that it can't be transferred).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if they give you lots of pleasure and put a smile on your face when you ski them
then the cost is irrelevant
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kosciosco, I went to a couple of test sessions at indoor slopes and then looked for previous season's versions of the skis I tested and enjoyed the most. As luck would have it, a fellow snowHead was selling a pair of skis on my list.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pat51, Servicing and waxing costs very little if you do it yourself, and sfter a lesson from spyderjon, it's easy. The whole point is that you and your own skis are a well-prepared unit and you set off on your first morning in resort knowing exactly what your skis will do. All part of the learning curve in my view.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco, yes you can demo skis at MK from EB. Fairly decent selection, but they tend to be in one length only. Fairly free with their advice and very helpful the 2 times I've been lately.
latest report
kosciosco, Don't buy - rent. I go 3 to 5 times a year and always rent - and this is why;

no hassle with carrying the things
no hassle getting them serviced
no hanging around at the airport waiting to pick them up
rent the skis to suit conditions as you find them in resort - if it's powder rent some fats!
renting means this years model every year
and most importantly trying lots of different types of teaches you so much about skis and skiing

Variety is the spice of life - imagine only ever sleeping with one woman/man for the rest of your life Toofy Grin

the only POSSIBLE reason to buy (unless you buy 3 new sets every year) is that if you ski a lot you might save a few € - but then those over 30 who ski a lot rarely need to Smile
latest report
red 27, I have recently costed renting skis for 7 days the shop I looked at would charge £78 for skis. So if you are going 5 times a year that's £390 per year just on rental for skis alone. That in one year would pay for quite a decent of skis. I can get mine waxed for £6 at my local shop, say one wax per weeks use that's £30 on waxing and say a couple of edge tunes in that time at £12 each - another £24. So you will need to lob about £54 at maintenance for your 5 weeks on the snow, which I grant you should realistically subtract from costs saved so £390 - £54 so that give £336 saved - well I still reckon you could buy good skis for that.

red 27, In your case it sounds like you fly to go on holiday, so I grant you that there is more hassle involved in hanging round waiting to collect them, but on the other hand you expend possibly more time (I would estimate) in collecting and returning hire gear, so I don't think there is anything to be gained there, However, for those that drive to resort there is no additional transport costs or hassles and when we get to resort its straight on with ski gear and skis and hit the slopes - no walking through half the resort trying to find the hire shop rolling eyes . Other cons to hiring: Sometimes the servicing and condition is not as you would wish, You don't always get this years model, and you don't know what condition the bindings are in or whether they have been correctly set up.

The only plus points I see, is being able to change to some fats if you get the right conditions, and then you've got to mess around and probably lose skiing time doing so, and getting a chance to try different skis (which may, or may not be good for your skiing depending on what you want out of it).

If you drive to resort I think own skis are a no-brainer, even if you fly I think there the plus points may still outweigh the minus ones.
ski holidays
Plus if you ski off piste you are often limited regarding hire model range. And edges... I've never seen a hire ski with edges I'd be happy with yet.
snow report
kosciosco, I agree with some of the arguments about renting being less hassle but the 2 hour wait last year was the last straw. I think it depends on the size of resort you are going to. I've been to a small resort in Italy for the last two years with only a few small ski shops. I've previously been to big French resorts e.g. Courchevel and the range of skis was much much better, although more money to rent.

For me, it was just something I wanted to own even the economics and sense of it can be questioned. I wanted to reduce my stress arriving in resort and also know I've got a good pair of skis that I like. The pair I bought are a model I've hired in resort twice before after being given skis that didn't suit me due to a lack of choice in the shop.

How many people buy a car which requires maintenance and also depreciates in value, when they would over time save more money by hiring, using taxis and public transport ?

If you do buy you can still use them for a few years and then trade them in for a new pair and not be too much out of pocket. I suppose the key is to try to get a reasonable price in the first place.

On a related point, I think more people who snowboard seem to buy a board compared to skiers. Is this a fair reflection and is it because they are relatively cheaper ?
snow report
red 27 wrote:
kosciosco, Don't buy - rent. I go 3 to 5 times a year and always rent - and this is why;

You have more money than sense Smile

Quote:

no hassle with carrying the things

Are you particularly small? I have never found it a great hassle, and I'm not huge.

Quote:

no hassle getting them serviced

But doing that (myself) is part of the fun! It feels like I am really going when I edge and wax the skis Smile

Quote:

no hanging around at the airport waiting to pick them up

Agreed. You don't have to hang around somewhere that it makes no difference (I have never been the last one on the transfer coach even after picking up my skis).

Instead you get to queue for ages in the hire shop, eating in to your ski time.

Quote:

rent the skis to suit conditions as you find them in resort - if it's powder rent some fats!

If you are good enough to ski the powder, then yes, that could be worthwhile.

Quote:

renting means this years model every year

If you are lucky and prepared to pay a significant premium, yes.

But why do you believe that beneficial?

Quote:

and most importantly trying lots of different types of teaches you so much about skis and skiing

I disagree thoroughly here.

You can learn much more about skiing if you have a consistent base to work from.

Quote:

Variety is the spice of life - imagine only ever sleeping with one woman/man for the rest of your life Toofy Grin

Not a fan of marriage then?

Quote:

the only POSSIBLE reason to buy (unless you buy 3 new sets every year) is that if you ski a lot you might save a few € - but then those over 30 who ski a lot rarely need to Smile

What utter rubbish

That may be the only POSSIBLE reason somebody of very limited intellect can come up with, but it is not in any way the main reason for most people buying their own skis, never mind the only reason they can imagine for doing so.

That last statement of yours makes me believe the whole post to be a troll.
ski holidays
alex_heney, blimey what a post for half and hour into the new year! Laughing Can you never discuss something with someone who holds an opposing view without descending to the level of the playground?
snow report
The big problem with buying your own skis is that you'll end up buying another pair (fatter / carvers, whatever) , and then can't decide which ones to take .... Smile
latest report
red 27 wrote:
alex_heney, blimey what a post for half and hour into the new year! Laughing Can you never discuss something with someone who holds an opposing view without descending to the level of the playground?

Most of the time I do.

I'm not quite sure what it is about the above post that you think was "descending to the level of the playground"?

If it was the last statement of mine, I was responding to something of yours which either showed a distinct lack of thought, or was deliberately posted to be provocative (i.e. a troll).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy