Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brecon Beacons Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Anyone know how much they had over the last few days ?.Thinking of heading over there new years day or Saturday for a gear shake down / skin up pen y fan.

Mark
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not enough to ski on.

There was enough in the dump before Christmas (but I never actually got the chance to get out), but that mostly melted, and then the recent fall was nothing much.

Pen y Fan is white, but it can't be deep enough. It is completely green in the field next to us, where I can usually ski if the snow is good enough on Pen y Fan.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney wrote:
Not enough to ski on.

There was enough in the dump before Christmas (but I never actually got the chance to get out), but that mostly melted, and then the recent fall was nothing much.

Pen y Fan is white, but it can't be deep enough. It is completely green in the field next to us, where I can usually ski if the snow is good enough on Pen y Fan.
Anyone actually been up there? My parents were staying in Defynnog and they said there was about 2-3" depth there yesterday..? Trying to decide whether to bother piling up the car with skis!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's more than enough to ski, if you're comfortable skiing bolierplate, dust on crust, dry packed powder on a solid base, breakable crust and frozen tussocks.

It is FAST.

The snow's not as good as the pre-Christmas falls, but more extensive.

Yesterday I skied from the top of Corn Du half way back to the car park (the one before the Storey Arms coming from Penderyn or Merthyr). Then hiked back up to the ridge line and skied to within about 500m of the river.

No visibility, hence no pics.

Drove over this afternoon with my dad for a sightseeing trip and there was no appeciable loss of snow from yesterday.

Sunset turns this evening would have given you views, pictures and an experience second to none.

Heavy frost again this evening, so will be heading over after lunch tomorrow for some afternoon and sunset turns.

3 days done so far this season. Turns in November, December and with tomorrow's turns January.

3 month season in the Beacons. Who'd have thunk it Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be there tomorrow as well with any luck snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all,

Went up there today,just for the hell of it thinking there would not be enough snow and was plesently surprised by the amount of cover and the fantastic terain for ski touring.Never been to the Beacons before despite only living down the road at Cheltenham,Shame on me.

Didn't get the ski's out of the car in the end this time,Decided to walk up Fan Fawr with Crampons and have a good look around.Very busy with people on Pen y Fan side like ants which kind of put me off really hence the walk instead up the quieter side.Uppers on Fan Fawr bullet proof ice but skiable I would say with care.

Approached from the Merthyr side A470 but went back to Cheltenaham Via Brecon and A40.

I wish now I had continued past Storey Arms and approached Pen y Fan from the North around the A470 a bit further Looking on the ordenance Cwm llych the snow looked much better on this side (experts is this often the case) I would say full cover but to late for me to have a proper look.Definatly would have been Skinning up from here looked great, hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

I cant go back tomorrow Saturday unfortunatly but am intending on heading back Sunday morning such are the conditions and approach via the North.

Maybe I can upload some pictures from today later.

Also the Gader ridge is it ? peeks on the north side of the A40 back to Abergavenny looked excellant.

With the temps remaining low for the next few days at least there is definatly some good sport to be taken advantage of.

Regards Mark

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 2-01-10 10:02; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And a fair amount of new snow this evening. Only half an inch (so far) down here, but that probably means 2-3" up top, and very cold all day.

Even though I live within sight of Pen y Fan (on the Pontsticill side), I am not likely to get the chance to get up there tomorrow or Sunday, then will be back in work Monday (in Cheltenham!).

Shopping tomorrow, then have to collect the grandchildren from my daughter with the broken arm (from Worcester) on Sunday.

But I waxed my skis today, ready for my Austrian trip starting a week tomorrow Smile (Actually, that is another reason not to risk trying Pen y Fan this weekend - I don't want to risk breaking myself a week before a trip)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the report Mark.

Topsmoke wrote:
Uppers on Fan Fawr bullet proof ice but skiable I would say with care

Same on the Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan, Cribyn side of the A470.

Quote:
I wish now I had continued past Storey Arms and approached Pen y Fan from the North around the A470 a bit further Looking on the ordenance Cwm llych the snow looked much better on this side (experts is this often the case) I would say full cover but to late for me to have a proper look.Definatly would have been Skinning up from here looked great, hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

In my experience skiing The Beacons, Black Mountain and Black Mountains off and on for the past 10 years, the Cwm Llwch glacial cirque, the slopes from Corn Du and Cefn Crew back to the two car parks on the A470 and the slopes off Fan Brycheiniog down to Llyn y Fan Fawr are the most consistent when the snow falls.

The slopes from Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan down to Llyn Cwm Llwch are fabulous in good snow, and the bootpack back up isn't too long or strenuous.

Quote:
I cant go back tomorrow Saturday unfortunatly but am intending in heading back Sunday morning such are the conditions and approach via the North.

Best bang for your buck IMHO is going up the well worn path from the car park on the A470 to the saddle between Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan. Dropping in and bootpacking back up to the saddle as many times as you can, then walking back around to the saddle between Corn Du and Cefn Crew and skiing back to the car park.

Also the NW facing slopes off Fan Grynych looked excellent this afternoon. Might try those tomorrow. Accessed from the Defynog to Sennybridge road (A4215) or from the backside of Craig Cerrig-gleisiad.

In really good snow, the north west facing slope of Fan-y-Big is excellent.

Still waiting for the volume of snow to attempt the NE face of Pen-y-Fan and the NW face of Cribyn.

Watch this space Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beautiful morning here in Aberdare.

5-10 cm of dry powder on the ground. Cold and sunny. Mixed cloud rolling in once in a while.

Will be a glorious day in the Brecon Beacons National Park today.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh for goodness sake that's the area we've got to drive home to on Monday - what's the chance of getting there Puzzled Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Today was awesome - found some really good snow after following who turned out to be Mike Pow. Nice to meet you mate! The escarpment below Pen-Y-Fan itself was in great nic. The lines just to the west were much firmer and somewhat hairy due to the gale blowing over the ridge. Followed that with a great ski from Cefn Crew (almost) back to the carpark. Again, really nice "spring" snow. Awesome awesome awesome awesome snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tollpepper wrote:
Oh for goodness sake that's the area we've got to drive home to on Monday - what's the chance of getting there Puzzled Very Happy

Very good.

The roads are pretty well clear.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark wrote:
Today was awesome - found some really good snow after following who turned out to be Mike Pow. Nice to meet you mate! The escarpment below Pen-Y-Fan itself was in great nic. The lines just to the west were much firmer and somewhat hairy due to the gale blowing over the ridge. Followed that with a great ski from Cefn Crew (almost) back to the carpark. Again, really nice "spring" snow. Awesome awesome awesome awesome snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Likewise Sharkymark.

The lines off Pen-y-Fan into Cwm Llwch were fabulous. Around 60-100cm depth that had firmed up, covered by 5-10cm of packed powder. Made for fast, creamy, consistent turns.

With views to die for.

The wind was really smoothing things out.

Cold weather and snowfall forecast for the coming days should see the snow stick around for another week.

Get out there if you can.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going back tomorrow morning to ski the softer stuff under Pen-Y-Fan. That is, providing I can get out of the drive - freezing rain in the last hour here Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Guys,

Just leaving Cheltenham now at 6am Very Happy Very Happy

See you all up there

Mark
snow report
Come then guys -lets see the pictures! might head down next weekend if still cold
latest report
norris, patience Laughing

Will be later as I'm heading back there now snowHead
snow report
I'm hoping to visit my parents in Merthyr for a few days next week, might take some kit with me just in case... Smile

Thanks for the trip reports!
latest report
Alpine start this morning, hoping for sunrise and moonset off Pen-y-Fan.

Both of these events happened, I just didn't see them.

It was blowing a gale up there, with spindrift everywhere and about 25 feet visibility. Significant wind chill too.

The wind had blown the 5cm of fresh snow about and the turns into Cwm Llwch were better than yesterday.

Likewise the run back to the car park.

It's cleared up now, and I'm sure Sharkymark will have some great pics to show us later.

Couple more days and it will be as smooth as silk up there.

Pack your gear rob@rar Smile
latest report
Dito Mike,

God knows how I didnt see you Puzzled

Arrived a little later than you I guess,Parked up by the Storey arms with Cloud moving pretty quick.

Booted up over the first hump to the style and stream then skinned up to the Obelisk before ski's off & cramponing up and on to the summit of Pen y Fan.Couldnt see jack S*** once on the top and gusting pretty strong.Desended down too Llyn Cwm Llwch (nice snow) before skinning back up too Obelisk side and decending,out of time as had to back by 2pm.

RAF mountain rescue and the police chopper were active,The Police Chopper landing down by the car on Fan Fewr side.Lots of activity in the car park as I set off for home (someone must be in trouble somwhere Sad )
Spotted Sharky Mark I think maybe ? About 12ish decending from Bwlch Duwynt towards the lower car park,If it was him he hit the deck twice in quick succession but seemed to be enjoying some nice turns over there Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Another ski tourer was just heading up towards Bwlch Duwynt as I was leaving told him someone was allready up there, Shame I didnt have more time today Sad Maybe next week Toofy Grin
Weather was definatly improving as I left and Blue sky moving in by the time Id arrived at Merthyr on the way home.

Bottom line , Well worth the drive just for the hell of it and if the temps remain low will definatly be worth heading back up there next weekend

Mark
snow conditions
Sounds fun - I am actually off wed/thurs and the weekend so may well head down for some turns at some stage - looks like its supposed to stay cold and snowy.
latest report
Topsmoke, it wasn't me descending - I was going up at 12:30pm. I saw a youngish chap with no headgear or goggles skiing down past me between 12:30 and 1pm. I too spoke to a ski tourer skinning up the same time as I was.

The wind was baltic and Cwm Llwch was fully windblown by the time I got there and not as nice as yesterday. There seemed to be a refrozen layer just below the surface too. I did a single run down about 100m vert then bootpacked back up and headed towards Cefn Crew. The snow there was superb where it was in the lee of the ridge. The snow there was the best of the weekend IMHO Very Happy

Pictures to come...

rob@rar, do it mate. There was a reasonable amount of new snow even this morning (all blown off the upper slopes though)
ski holidays
Its got to be getting epic in the Beacons by now?? more snow forecast, any first had reports fromy ou local boys?
latest report
Cold, clear day yesterday with no snow loss visible (viwed from a distance, couldn't ski yesterday).

It's snowing nicely here in Aberdare this morning (about 20km from the Beacons). Light, dry pow, so expecting some great turns tomorrow.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Nice, depending on road conditions I might head down thursday.
latest report
It'll be worth the drive.

Hope to see you out there.
snow report
Mike Pow, strange question, but are there any sheep up there Shocked as i may well bring the dog.

yes hope to see you out there, look for a snowboarder on snowshoes with a black dog!
snow report
In the Park, but not on Pen-y-Fan area at the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks, i thought they might all be lower down. hopefully see you up there Very Happy
ski holidays
It's puking here. Approx. an inch an hour Smile
latest report
Hi Chaps,

Thinking of trying a bit of sledging/tobogganing over on the slopes of Pen Y Fan/Corn Du at the weekend (assuming it stays cold/snowy)

I popped up there for a walk pre-Xmas and was amazed at how visibility reduces and improves at the drop of a hat.

Few questions:

1) What's the snow like now?
2) Are the roads around Brecon's A470 way ok?
3) Does it get busy? What's the best time to go? Saturday/Sunday?
4) Any tips/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
1) What's the snow like now?
Good and plenty

2) Are the roads around Brecon's A470 way ok?
Yes. But snow forecast for tomorrow and Thursday.

3) Does it get busy? What's the best time to go? Saturday/Sunday?
It was packed both days last weekend.

4) Any tips/suggestions.
Get there early
snow report
thanks! NehNeh

Looking forward to it.

Some of the pics I've seen look great. The scenery is great round there.
snow report
Quote:

It's puking here. Approx. an inch an hour Smile

...well that's Saturday's activity sorted snowHead
snow conditions
This looks like a useful cam for A470 road conditions at Storey Arms http://members.traffic-wales.com/cctvimages/camera4001.jpg? - also gives an idea of the car park at the w/e.

Hopefully try to make it to the Brecons in the next few days... wink
latest report
15-20cm outside my door in Aberdare Smile

Would expect double that in the Beacons. With more on the way Smile

Weather report not looking good for today

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

so will try to make some turns closer to home

Conditions could be all time come the weekend.
snow report
Same outside in Bristol!

My big worry now is not being able to get there.
latest report
Yes chaos here on the roads in surrey -looks like the snow is going to stay for a while anyway so will play by ear
snow report
All the roads into the Beacons closed until further notice
ski holidays
Just got back in from skiing The Darren, above Bwllfa Dare and the Dare Valley Country Park in Aberdare.

Where the wind had done its magic it was knee deep, dry powder.

When it was good it was very, very good Smile and when it was bad it was horrid Sad

Still it's not every day you can walk to and from skiing, especially at home.

When the roads open up the Beacons should be fabulous.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy