Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

thomas cook airlines & large ski bags

Poster: A snowHead
Following a long tradition of ski baggage posts........

Am flying TC airlines ( via a Neilsons package holiday ) shortly & want to take a large ski bag containing both kit & skis. The ticket blurb says I have a hold allowance of 15kg & a further 10kg for my skis that I have paid for as an extra. In contacting the airline about just taking a large ski bag, the first time I was referred , by their customer services, to the baggage handlers at the local airport - no answer there. The second time, TC(airline) customer services told me that I would probably be charged excess baggage if my ski bag weighed over the allowed 10kg, even if it was my only hold bag.

Anyone flown with them & had any problems ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I flew Thompson last year and my board bag, with wife's skis weighed in at 24kg. I rang to ask the situation and they said this was fine. At Gatwick, no questions were asked.

My wife had her own 15kg allowance and we also stuffed rucksacks with gear for hand luggage.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I flew with them to Salzburg last year, with the same allowances you have.

While I didn't take everything in a large ski bag, I do know my ski bag was well over 10Kg, but they didn't bat an eyelid. They didn't actually even weigh the ski bag, although they probably will if it is your only bag.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks bar shaker, There doesn't seem to be much consitency between the airlines.
It's Thomas Cook airlines that I'm flying & as their rules seem pretty mean I'm hoping to find someone who might have put them to the test.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, that's somewhat reassuring.
The airlines customer services dept seems to be phone only. With an email address I might at least be able to get something in writing. I'm think I'm going to contact neilson instead, as it's their holiday package I'll be going on, & see if they can get some sense from them. I'm sure I'll not be the only punter wanting to take a large bag on one of their holidays !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, we took a very large wheeled ski bag with them(T Cook/Neilson) last week which weighed just less than 30 kg which AFAIK is their max item weight, there was no problem. But we also took normal hold luggage. The ski bag contained all our kit for 3 people which we had booked and paid, there was no problem with pooling this into one bag, also there was no problem with pooling the 15kg per person normal hold baggage. So I can't see why there should be a problem with you taking one massive ski bag weighing max 25kg. HTH a bit and best of luck with it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks sarah, just what I was hoping to hear. I shall live in the hope that the staff at the airport are more sensible ( read flexible) about it than those in their customer service call centre !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am absolutely sure that it depends on how p**sed off the check in people are on the day you travel as there is no rhyme or reason behind the way baggage is treated and what you get charged for
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tollpepper, Totally agree. IME if you are civil and polite to the check-in person, they will let you through as long as you are not really taking the mickey. But if you give them cause to be unreasonable, they may well be so if they're having a bad day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tollpepper, RobW, so it's cross the fingers & smile sweetly then !! ( the latter could be a challenge ) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try the Neilson forums... I've always found them pretty decent for good, reliable info - both for my windsurfing hol a few months ago and my upcoming ski trip.

Forum index is here: http://www.neilson.co.uk/View-Forum.aspx?forumID=40

Slightly relevant query here: http://www.neilson.co.uk/View-Forum.aspx?PostId=137669&ForumId=40 - this seems to imply that it's all about combined weight allowance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanksmagic_hat, will give them a look
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good info. I've paid the £15 for 1 pair of skis and plan to take 2 pairs in 1 bag which will def be over the 10kg limit as my SL skis alone are 8.5kg. If I get caught I hoping I can just put the second pair back in before taking them round to oversize baggage...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
narc, I don't think you will get caught, they didn't seem to be weighing ski bags really at Manchester last week or at Grenoble for the return. You just stick it on the belt far enough for them to tag it so half of it is still on the ground anyway. It seems to weigh it properly at the oversize bag belt though as it goes through the scanner but I am guessing that is just for health and safety and the guys there wouldn't really care.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Given that you've paid for the extra ski bag why risk it? Take a bag with skis in (and my experience is that they don't worry as long as it is only one bag) and a hold bag that is under 15kg.
snow report
Tiger2, bit of a story, but for logistical reasons I'm trying to just have one large bag containing everything rather than several bags.

It could also be a little cheaper for me as I'm flying one way with EJ which allows a ski bag to weigh up to 32kg ( if you've paid ski carriage & its the only hold bag) and therefore I wouldn't need to pay for a hold bag as well. A small bonus is that the skis would also be well protected by my clothing from the tender caresses of the baggage handlers !!
snow conditions
We flew out of Gatwick last week with Thomas Cook and my sisters large ski bag weighed 28kg. She was told she had to get it down to a maximum of 23kg so we shared some of the stuff around.
snow report
Doss, thats good news - I can live with 23kg all up
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy