Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this the worst start of the season for years in the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Really started skiing and following the weather on a regular basis three years ago and the past 2 seasons were great so i don't really have any data points but it seems like a dreadful start of the ski season with limited snow and some rain. How does this season compare to 2006? Any worse start of the season in the last decade?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon 2006 was actually worse. The horrendous rain for the last 2 days aside, it's been OK here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Any worse start of the season in the last decade?

Yes, several. Three years ago, for example, was a lot worse. Christmas was truly grim, then it snowed at New Year - January was OK but there was a long snow drought and the February holidays (February 2007) were poor, in the French Alps at any rate, particularly in the Jura resorts, if I remember rightly.

Christmas/New Year is NOT historically a good time to go skiing. Easter, historically, is a better bet in many resorts. It's raining here now (though actually it's turning to sleety snow at 1550m as I type) but the Christmas week was really pretty good here, with snow on the trees throughout and a good proportion of pistes open.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
January 2007 I was in Verbier and there was absolutely knack all below about 2000m. Can quite vividly remember giving the ladyfriend a few lessons on the bunny slope at Les Esserts which was basically a thin strip of man-made ice in the middle of a balmy grassy summer meadow.

It then TIPPED down with snow mid-week, thankfully, and I got a frostbitten chin.

But yeah. 06/07 was notoriously 'the worst for ages' wasn't it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowforever, I think your not going out for another week or so, so I would not worry. Things can (and look like they are now) change in 24 hours.
I have given up thinking about the weather until 3 days before I go. I seem to remember last year ( or year before) it rained in dec just before xmas and a similar thread appeared. Pretty much as the second reply was written the rain turned to snow and all was rosey. There was some bleak pictures of cachette in les arcs for a short time.

Well... just to make you feel better I had a look at the long term wigglies and at the moment it looks like this current precipitation will turn rapidly into a big dump.
Further down the line it seems more snow is coming on the 3/4/5th jan and something really big around the 7-9th.

If all goes really bad... pack a mountain bike NehNeh

Tux
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Something really big on the 7-9th is not that ggod news. I will be skiing for three days then!! Shock
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2006/2007 was much worst I think. It is not that bad now. I came back from Livigno a week ago and the conditions there were superb considering middle of the December. Lots of snow and sun with temperatures -15 during the day. They had anoter 50cm of snow since I left. Base there is now 100/180. Very good.

My favourite places - around Salzburg - are not doing that well but I think still much better than 2006/2007.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W, Agreed
31/12/2006

01/01/2007
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And completely agree with tuxpoo, any weather forecasts longer than 3 days can change completely, no need to worry about this. However it is always nice to see the snow base rising.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowforever wrote:
Something really big on the 7-9th is not that ggod news. I will be skiing for three days then!! Shock

<scratches> err "not good news" ...no... good news! Very Happy

Bound not to happen now we have talked about it NehNeh

Tux
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was working in Val D'Isere season 06/07 and it was pretty awful, hardly any no snow, had 2 big dumps all season. This time then it was really really bare then there was a dump just after nye. The rain is crap but at atleast there is snow and everyone is saying that conditions are pretty good up top. Im going out to serre che on saturday and im not that worried im sure Ive skied worse!
Come to think about it, there was a lot of rain in resort in 2alpes in jan 2004.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The webcams are mostly white. I'd say that was a good sign myself!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes two weeks ago was incredibly good snow, very very few runs closed, loads of snow, heavy snowfall for 2 days while we were there, good deep powder at the top of Grande Motte, slopes to ourselves, cheap lift passes and empty slopes on more remote runs, and almost no ice to speak of on the slopes, a few patches on the heavily used lower slopes. So for me, it can't be the worst by miles. The last day we had an afternoon of sunshine following the heavy snow, and it was brilliant. That was 12th-20th Dec. That said, it was minus 20 all week.

Current weather does seem a bit grim in several places though. But then that's the delight of doing a weather dependent sport.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We actually had a very reasonable week skiing (19-26th December) at Le Grand Bornand. Managed to ski every day, yes there were some bald patches appearing but equally there were some nice bits around. Had every type of weather including fog, hail, snow, rain and sun but at some part of each day it was fine to ski in. I think we had realistic expectations of the first week of the season in December and we weren't disappointed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Conditions are currently about average or below-average across most of the Alps.

Many lower slopes are struggling.
snow report
gavjackson wrote:
I was working in Val D'Isere season 06/07 and it was pretty awful, hardly any no snow, had 2 big dumps all season.

It is worse than 06/07 because we didn't have so much high altitude rain. After snow in early Dec 06 the month was relatively dry and warm. This season is a washout. 06/07 was officially the worst since 1989 but, according to French TV, this is the worst start to the season for two decades.
snow report
davidof wrote:
gavjackson wrote:
I was working in Val D'Isere season 06/07 and it was pretty awful, hardly any no snow, had 2 big dumps all season.

It is worse than 06/07 because we didn't have so much high altitude rain. After snow in early Dec 06 the month was relatively dry and warm. This season is a washout. 06/07 was officially the worst since 1989 but, according to French TV, this is the worst start to the season for two decades.

uh?

Try telling these poor sods ...

ski holidays
tuxpoo, hahahaha. Best holiday ever.
snow report
davidof wrote:
gavjackson wrote:

Well it depends how much the rain has affected the snow? A lot of people are and have said that its still quite good so who decides its been a washout. I can't really comment as I've not been skiing yet so don't know the conditions. 06/07 and now are both bad starts just in different ways.
snow report
gavjackson wrote:

Have you tried prunes? Embarassed Sounds like an awful season, you must have been mighty blocked up.
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
gavjackson wrote:

Have you tried prunes? Embarassed Sounds like an awful season, you must have been mighty blocked up.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
> 06/07 and now are both bad starts just in different ways.

I've just been comparing some photos. I think 06/07 actually had less snow to be honest but it is close at the moment.
snow report
I remember looking at webcams in Jan 07 (I couldn't go skiing that season, I was having cancer treatment) and thinking I wasn't missing anything.

This season there seems to have been plenty of precipitation so far, it's just that the temperatures have been a bit haywire. This week it's been mild, a couple of weeks ago it was arctic.

The difference this season is that I'm going in 9 weeks and extremely excited already. Laughing
latest report
snowforever, Oh hell no, many years are worse, quite a lot are better, I'd guess that so far this year is maybe just slightly worse than average but it will depend on where you are as well
snow report
Depends where you were then and where you are now, I (and lots of others) have been in knee deep powder in mid Dec this year already Very Happy

My cup is always half full wink and here are some nice piccies

this was about 18 Dec 06 in L2A

and this Whistler Feb 07, because I like the photo Very Happy
snow report
Schladming mid october was pretty perfect

http://youtube.com/v/DJd-MVFO95A

Not so good since then but have manged to keep some upper lifts / piste running since then through to the offical opening on 4th Dec since when most lifts / runs are open.
latest report
Strange how we all fret so much about what will happen on our one week of ski heaven that most of us get?

I started skiing in 1984 (stopped for a few comforts stop since...) and then we never had any idea of what the skiing conditions were like at our intended destinations other than to look at European weather maps on the back of the posher papers.

Now we have so much information to hand it's almost too much so we sit here and worry about something we really can't influence -other than to choose a resort on it's historical snow record and it's location with respect to height.

All the years I've been skiing there has never been a holiday I've not been able to ski at the resort I booked (and some have been low), a couple of years it was close but we always had a laugh whatever the conditions were.

Best thing is not to look until three days before you go and either pack skiing kit or walking kit!
latest report
Personally I'd say 06/07 (the year we did our season - damn!) was much worse around the PDS. At Christmas the only real skiing was in the Fornet bowl - whereas this year we've been able to ski most of the resort.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've been away for the Christmas week every year for years.
1996 - Andorra El Tarter, good snow
1997 - Andorra El Tarter, good snow
1998 - Sauze d'Oulx, rubbish snow
1999 - La Plagne, snow but not lots until the end of the week
2000 - Morzine, good snow
2001 - Val Thorens, rain on Christmas day
2002 - Val d'Isere, good snow, bitterly cold
2003 - Les Gets, snow thin until Christmas Eve then massive dump
2004 - Saalbach, good snow
2005 - Saalbach, good snow
2006 - Ischgl, good snow
2007 - Ischgl, good snow
2008 - Zermatt, good snow
2009 - Tignes, good snow

I remember travelling home in 2006 and meeting people who'd been in France and had hardly any snow. We must just have been very lucky all these years. snowHead
ski holidays
snowforever, No - about 7-10 years ago (I forget exactly when) we didn't have any snow all autumn and the first snow of the winter was Dec 28th! Good thing we have a glacier!
DO NOT FORGET - LAST SEASON WAS UNUSUALLY GOOD - NOT NORMAL!
snow report
davidof wrote:
gavjackson wrote:

It depends a lot on just where you are talking of. As pointed out in the other thread "The Alps" is a rather large place.

I think 06/07 was definitely worse in Austria than this year appears to be so far. And, oldsnowy that was one year when we could not ski at the booked resort (Neiderau) except on the very last day of the trip - and that was on two very icy pistes when they did manage to open some.

Not that current conditions appear good in the part of Austria (Schneewinkel) I am going to, but almost everything is open, and it looks like some new snow falling before I arrive (on the 9th).
snow conditions
Worst start to the season? Since the end of November I've skied for nearly four weeks and I've had some epic days! Knee deep powder, loads of great variable snow, perfect pistes, even had a few days of lovely blue sky. Yesterday wasn't so good as I got rained on, but that's a small price to pay for the skiing I've done so far this season Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Worst start to the season? Since the end of November I've skied for nearly four weeks and I've had some epic days! Knee deep powder, loads of great variable snow, perfect pistes, even had a few days of lovely blue sky. Yesterday wasn't so good as I got rained on, but that's a small price to pay for the skiing I've done so far this season Smile

Bog off rob@rar. Twisted Evil I'm skiing in Yad Moss tomorrow, so there. Who's jealous now. Madeye-Smiley NehNeh
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Bog off rob@rar. Twisted Evil I'm skiing in Yad Moss tomorrow, so there. Who's jealous now. Madeye-Smiley NehNeh

Laughing I won't be skiing tomorrow, so I will be thinking of you having fun Smile
latest report
rob@rar, Should be quite an adventure, as we've never been before. I'm not expecting perfect pistes and knee deep powder, but one can hope. Cool Laughing
ski holidays
easiski wrote:

DO NOT FORGET - LAST SEASON WAS UNUSUALLY GOOD - NOT NORMAL!

You've got caught up in the ski industry hype I'm afraid. In the Northern French Alps last season had below average snowfall except on the border region with Italy.

73% of the 30 year average in la Plagne at 1970m, and 64% of the 30 year average at the Col de Porte at 1325 meters.

It had a coldish winter, but nothing exceptional on 30 year terms and that helped conserve the snow that did fall. Only the 7th coldest winter on that timescale. Temperatures from the end of March to date have been well above average.

The Pyrenees, Southern Alps and Massif Central had a very good winter, but perhaps only 15% of skiers actually ski in those ranges.

This year snowfall is once again slightly above average in the Southern Alps close to the Italian border. Below average elsewhere.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Worst start to the season? Since the end of November I've skied for nearly four weeks and I've had some epic days!

I've been skiing since the first snows fell but you have to take a global view and it is not a good start to the season. It is below average. You can always go above the rain line at 2200-2400 meters to find fresh snow but we've hasome very low temperatures and an unusual amount of rain to quite high altitudes.
ski holidays
davidof, Yes last year was amazing in the Southern Alps ... Xmas Eve 2008 and Valberg had a snow covering in the village of about 2m ... this year there are only about 10% of the runs open ... although Isola and Auron are about 90% open, Limone also afaics. However skiing in any must been hellish for the last week due to high winds/precipitation and poor visibility. Most unusual for down here ime.
latest report
davidof, I agree, but there's an air of doom and despondency in this thread that belies my experience. There seems to be plenty of good skiing available, even with the rain and warm temperatures of the last few days, if you head high (which isn't an unreasonable proposition in December). As for the start of the season, here are a few photos which I've taken over the last month (and I'm sure you could add some equally tasty ones):
30 November
5 December
8 December
9 December
10 December
22 December
23 December
26 December
28 December

The first couple of phhotos are from Zermatt, the next three from Solden and then the final four are from Les Arcs. If I'd not forgotten my camera I could have added another couple from Tignes to the start of this list which showed equally good skiing conditions.

Is this the worst start to the season for a long time. Maybe it is, but I'm more than happy with the skiing I've done so far. Perhaps people are expecting too much for December skiing, or not making the best resort choices for early season skiing...
ski holidays
Worst start in years? No. I've had some really great skiing so far this season and enjoyed some fabulous snow, super light powder and very cold temperatures. That however has been in relatively high resorts in the Austrian Alps. Although mid December was unusually cold, November was unusually warm meaning much of the earlier October snow got stripped away, and the cold of December was not accompanied by huge snow storms. And obviously the last week has been unhelpfully warm. So at least for Europe I think it has been a rather below average start. That said I think 2006/2007 was quite a bit worse.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 31-12-09 12:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy