Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Raining Heavy in the Alps below 2000m

Poster: A snowHead
This is a disaster ski holiday, it has rained for the 6th time since 18th December in Verbier.

Once again today it is raining really heavily out there and we're staying at 1800m

Even up to 2200m it is iffy with rain and sleet

The snow is ruined if there is any left below 2200m.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just spoke to a friend, raining at 2300m a bit further south. According to the weather service it is the worst start to winter for 20 years with day after day of torrential rain to 2200-2400m.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It rained upto 2800m in Jan 2004 at Alpe D'Huez

slidergirl,

You have my thoughts, I had the same crappy weather in Arinsal last week Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slidergirl, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy We're playing monopoly at 1172m, but going out at 12 to have a slide. There is snow but ahem, quality & visibility may be somewhat iffy Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weather reports are indicating that it will soon be better

http://www.bergfex.com/verbier/wetter/

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Verbier/6day/bot
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slidergirl, Sorry for your weather.

But it isnt raining in the Alps below 2000m, its raining in verbier and probably a few places around about that area, in fact western Switz and Parts of French alps are have precipitation of some sort

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=2009&maand=12&uur=11&minuut=15&dag=30&lightning=1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it has been snowing over the last few days in other places more east Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

According to the weather service it is the worst start to winter for 20 years with day after day of torrential rain to 2200-2400m.

Well it doesn't feel like that here. This New Year week is certainly not a good one. Yesterday and this morning were grotty, but it's turning to sleety snow here (1550m) at the moment and in the last 15 minutes the cars and road outside have turned white. Christmas week was good, with fresh snow overnight several times, and most pistes pretty good above 1500m, with the artificial they'd blown in that very cold weather and some nice natural stuff on top. Not the best Christmas conditions ever, by any means, but probably about average. Some more sunshine would have been nice but there was no rain, and fantastic work by the piste service meant the resort was in good shape. And next week looks good too.

As ever, mountain weather is very localised and the Alps is a big place. To write off the early season across the whole area is too sweeping.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
going to somewhere higher next year, like La Plagne or Tignes - the runs that are open are congested and can't sustain the traffic on them and the queues are a mile long

I am nearly in tears ere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slidergirl,

Only thing I can suggest is go to the bar and get drunk. That's what I did last week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slidergirl, really sorry to hear your holiday has been so miserable. But rest assured that the highest resorts will probably be just as crowded as Verbier as everyone from the lower areas will be crowded into them. I realise that some people are stuck with Christmas/New Year holidays but this is the very busiest week of the year almost everywhere and very early in the season to be sure of decent snow depths. If New Year is absolutely unavoidable I'd personally avoid most - maybe all - the big name resorts with hordes of package trips.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No queues and decent snow here in Sainte Foy. Raining for the last 2 days, same as everywhere else, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After a morning of heavy rain it is now snowing heavily in Montalbert La Plagne and temperature is falling Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, sme here. Very heavy snow now at 1550m - I knew that would happen if I left my car out of the garage because the forecast was for rain. So you have me to thank, folks. I'm about to go out and move the booger.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, You could have left the car out yesterday wink Me gloves are still drying out Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Just spoke with someone in Alpe d'Huez.

It snowed heavily Mon, followed by heavy rain on Tues and Weds.

As of about 2pm France-time Weds, it is still raining in the resort.

Also spoke with someone in Saalbach on Mon.

Cover is patchy and brown on the bottom half of the mountain, but still adequately skiable.
snow report
It was raining heavily in Meribel this morning, and turned into heavy snow early afternoon
snow conditions
Update - it's snowing here now! Woot!
ski holidays
heavy rain heavy snow heavy rain keeps changing here in Flaine either way I'm inside, its rubbish!
ski holidays
tompringle, well it sounds as though everyone else has managed to change rain to snow so maybe you and me (French PDS) can expect some later Toofy Grin
latest report
looking out (it's clear at the moment) the snow only goes down to around 1500 - and it's pretty slushy. Better up at 2000m maybe and should be a good base once it's pisted tonight.
latest report
slidergirl,

Fantastic snow here in TIGNES above 2100m. Skied into Val D this afternoon and whilst the snow was pretty wet it wasn't raining.

Skied some awesome powder this afternoon and it is pretty quiet Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
slidergirl,

Fantastic snow here in TIGNES above 2100m. Skied into Val D this afternoon and whilst the snow was pretty wet it wasn't raining.

Skied some awesome powder this afternoon and it is pretty quiet Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It was raining quite hard in Val D'Isere village for most of the morning - I think it put lots of people off - including me! Obviously drinking my height in vodka last night didn't particularly help my enthusiasm for sliding today. Glad you had a great day.
snow report
Stewart - ditto here in 3V. Powder this afternoon was great. Keeping above 2000m was the trick - Les Menuires was slushy.

Bit different from this time last year at -25 degrees !!
ski holidays
It's a funny sort of a night tonight. The sky is clear, it's been dark for hours, it should be pretty chilly out there, but the temperature is gently rising. Good job there doesn't look to be much precipitation about.
snow report
I'm looking forward to the epic powder that must be above 2000m here.................I've only experianced the rain in the village today, bring on tomorrow!!!!
snow conditions
alexchapman, hmmmm. It's slightly damper than usual all the way to 3200. Though by no means properly soggy, and very nice when you can see anything further off than the end of your nose.
snow conditions
well at 1450m I am looking out at heavy snow falling. The freezing level has risen over night and snow is here to stay... at last.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
It's a funny sort of a night tonight. The sky is clear, it's been dark for hours

The last few nights in Tignes have had clear skies but the clouds & snow have returned by the morning. I always thought it should snow at night and be clear and sunny in the day Puzzled
snow report
well it's absolutely chucking it down now - big heavy wet flakes of snow, but it's definitely snow; plough been up the road twice this morning already. Probably very nice stuff up at higher levels. snowHead
ski holidays
Maybe it's to do with expectations - but according to their website Verbier has more than 50% of lifts and pistes open - not brilliant, but not a disaster surely Puzzled We were in St Anton in early December (a couple of days after they opened), and a lot of the week much less than 50% was open, and we got soaked in torrential rain, but we also had a fantastic time Razz
snow conditions
Snowing again here at sea level in Scotland. Great day at Cairngorm 2 days ago, though most of the powder was skied out could still find some untracked areas off piste and the Aonach Bowl was untracked first thing - though it didn't stay that way once the WWP opened. Great run down to the Ciste Carpark via the Aonach Ridge at the end of the day.
ski holidays
sympathetic to those whose annual holiday isnt too great
we stopped going to 3V in teh first week of Jan when 3 years running we just skid rain and whiteouts
and i dont think i'll ever go back to verbier after 4 or 5 years back when early marhc was like summer - took over an hour from getting on first lift to getting skis onto snow

hope it improves for all
latest report
slidergirl, at least you're not here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59013
ski holidays
Proper dumping here this morning! Woohoo!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy