Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not strictly back country off piste but do you.............?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have never ventured too far off piste however I often ski accross from one piste to another in obvious areas that are tracked out, just to add a little variety to the days skiing. However this article on ski club has made me think a little different.

A British skier has died in Chamonix in an avalanche on Christmas day. His body was found by rescuers on Boxing Day.

Nigel Jackson, 43, was reportedly skiing between two marked pistes when the avalanche occured at Le Tour.

He was skiing with his girlfriend and two friends, in bad weather with limited visibility.

It was the last run of the day when the group separated and agreed to meet at the bottom.

I know these sort of things are quite rare but it makes you think dosnt it.

PS sorry is this has been raised in in another thread but my 'read posts since last visit', count was 300 plus so might have missed it. wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-12-09 9:47; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, "avalanches can happen anywhere". We often ski between pistes, but we often ski "back country" too. You need to consider conditions and risk of avalanche equally anywhere.

I suspect that many people don't.

It also has to be said that Le Tour has quite a few places in between piste that are pretty steep and clearly can slip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, wot under a new name, sed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry, Often, in fact very frequently Toofy Grin But then saying that the past 8 years or so have been in North America Smile

However we went to St. Anton the other Christmas and before cutting to other pistes checked conditions - it would have been so easy to be complacent and ski anywhere. I can imagine this would catch people out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I do frequently - and - as I have posted rather too many times - a year ago was present at the site if a fatal inbounds US avalanche. This year I will be watching more carefully in bounds and wearing a beacon more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
afaik - the pistes are often positioned in a way to make them less avalanch prone

hence, between the pistes wouldnt have this

plus - the bad weather/heavy snow factor.

i do the same thing of going between pistes or just off the side, but my only week in the alps was very much lacking fresh snow (most of it was probably from the canons) so there was less chance of a slide (of the bad kind).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
its been quoted on Snowheads many times

"There is no such thing as a little bit of off piste"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renry, you should check out this resource "http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com". If you download the free Part 1 guide, you will see some pretty alarming slides just next to the piste, on terrain many would ski without even thinking of avalanche risk.
He had also been pointing out on his email alert service, for a while before the Xmas period, that there was a widesperad weak layer in the snowpack and caution was required...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy