Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix with Kids Xmas 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trip to Chamonix staying with Esprit.

Traveling; Me, Mrs Ed, Eds Junior aged 8(just) 5 and 9 months.

Us- Me- quite keen for a fat balding bloke in his 40s (3 weeks a year- alpine and telemark). Mrs Ed also quite keen- not at all fat, slow but steady excellent in steep cut up crap. Ed Junior 8- 11 weeks skiing snow + dry slope + chill factore. Ed Junior 5 -1 week snow. Ed Junior 9 months- breast feeding!

Resort- Chamonix- ideal for a mum who wanted to stop early feed junior and pooch about. Nowhere else we have been to compares for someone who wants to take some hours out- try walking down the main street in Val Despair more than twice doing nothing in particular. Great food, shops, people. In particular- Casa Valerio- ISO standard pizza no less (would have been a steal at 1.5 euros to the pound)- the new creparie opposite the Patagonia shop- a savoury crepe, a salad, a sweet crepe and coffee for 9 euros, the Patagonia shop (where you can see all the lovely gear and then order online in the UK for less ) and a wide selection of generally nice folks. Otavalo- the telemark shop was fantastic- super fast, friendly and cheap to mount some bindings.

Skiing- Chamonix- does it get better? A bit tricky for us as we left late- had to return early and then I went out again- but the snow was fantastc for the first couple of days- then a little harder. I telemarked a fair bit which kept me sane with our routine which quite reasonably revolved around keeping our youngest child alive and happy.
Buses not as bad as I remember- although I only used them on Christmas day. Poma outside Club Med should only be used when hoards of albeit very nice Club Meders are not waiting- quicker to walk to Brevant Gondola in this case. Weather a bit variable- lots of snow mind- some moaning from fellow guests about light but realy-- in December- where do they think the stuff comes from?

Mountain food- Cremarie des Glaciers for Xmas lunch- better, bigger cheaper than the 'selfs' atmosphere in spades- magical. Elsewheere self at Brevant really quite nasty with quite nasty moaning Brits. Although in fairness to them a bit to moan about.

Hotel- Sapiniere getting very tired, hot water this time although it was brown. Food very good indeed- for adults and kids. Wine less good than perviously. Childcare absolutely outstanding- staff happy, enthusiastic, helpful and generally great- my kids were like pigs in poo-poo! A gripe is the crazy 'no children at adults meals' - including babes in arms. I quite understand not wanting 2-12 yr olds running around and being a pain- but feeding infants!

Ski school- the 8 and 5 year old were with ESF. The instructors were excellent- my older child - who has had lots of ski school (the lucky Fitzwilliam) said of his 'Thomas is the best instructor I've had- he doesn't shout at us- I can understand what he says- he's fun- he throws snowballs- we throw snowballs at his friends'. Came on very well and by the end of the week he could ski alpine as fast/faster than I could telemark- which is great. Steeps, ice bumps (little ones).

My middle child had a great older woman-- Mary Jane (Marie Jean) who took time- looked after him- and he loved her- a funny little boy who will either do exactly what he is told or exactly what he wants to do! You either get it or you don't- she got it. Thanks.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy