Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

aaargh... rusty skis

Poster: A snowHead
British airways lost my ski bag and I have just had it returned after 10 days rattling around in their system and now my ski edges are reallly rusty; in fact the sidewalls and top sheets were rust-stained but I have managed to remove most of that. Is it just a case of file till all the rust is gone or does anyone have any other technique? would it best initially to use the diamond file or the metal file/holder or something else?
thanks for any ideas.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
couple of runs with a wet gummi should take care of it no? maybe smear some notwax on the edges an' all after (handy to do so in the off-season/in transit too). No big deal really, I wold think it's pretty superficial and no real damage / risk
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
inspark, At least you got them back! do you know which angles you need presume the "file holder" is an angle guide , use an alu oxide stone to take out the dings use it with the "file holder" then file or if its not too bad with a diamond stone starting with coarse to fine. you could also use a gummi stone as a start to get rid of the rust.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
radar wrote:
you could also use a gummi stone as a start to get rid of the rust.

Thanks, I used the gummi first and that polished away most of the rust, I'll use the file tomorrow when I have more time and give them some TLC and some wax. Quite a shock when I opened up the bag...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In think I'd ask BA to pay for them to be sorted out
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One run in snow will remove the rust............................

Why did you not dry them and rub with a block wax before packing? wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've noticed that it doesn't take long for the edges to begin to rust, I guess they must be some sort of mild steel. Even the morning after a trip to a snowdome if I haven't taken mine out of their ski bag and dried them I notice the edges begin to rust. I guess I could run the Zardox puck over them before bagging them up, but is there any product designed just for the edges and perhaps shaped for the job that anyone has come up with that I could get?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, see Maersk's post above re the solution or use Zardoz.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, toko make a pen you can rub on edges (or use a small piece of wax)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger, Finches in South East London had some in stock a while back, you would need to call them. I think Toko have stopped making it. bit of wax or Zardoz is easier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got Zardoz, but a bit of wax, which I think could be easier is not easy to come by when you don't wax your own skis and don't want to buy a huge block - what you need is something the sort of size of a rosin block used for musical bow strings.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, A candle would do fine.

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, it would? Great!! Just the sort of suggestion I like, I assume though its not what you would use out of choice that a smidgen of candle wax on a base would therefore not cause irreparable damage otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting it, but its not a leap that I would have made for that reason myself Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, You can also buy a small block of rub on wax for slushy conditions in most resort ski shops. About 7 quid if memory serves me well... and it is handy to carry on hot days to give the skis a quick rub down at lunch time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't have anything for mine - I have relied on a friend "servicing" them for me as he does all their family ones but I hadn't though about any interim measures - should I? I have noticed little bits of rust on the edges, so I make sure I don't leave them linked together in their bag, but stood up in the store room which is gently heated.
latest report
Butterfly, Mine live in the lounge for the reason of keeping them warm and dry (and I can see them and get to know them and touch and caress their ripply surface and................Errrr.........TMI?)
snow report
Megamum, Laughing Must confess mine were proudly standing in the dining room through which you walk to get to the lounge.... until I eventually got fed up with everyone taking the p out of me! So now they live in the store room next to the vacuum cleaner, so they do get a regular visit ..... and they were delighted to get a ride in the car and a day of exercise yesterday snowHead free
snow report
Mine stayed in their case standing behind the front door. I turn them every couple of months.
snow conditions
Butterfly, have your friend apply a layer of wax that runs over the edges at the end of the season... just scrape it off (a plastic scraper will cost you a couple of pounds) before you ski again... This will protect edges and base over the non-skiing time... (BTW you can do it yourself the waxing but is not that hard with a good iron)
snow report
Wipe the edges with a little Finnigans Waxoyl on a rag after use,prevents rust until next use ,will keep edges good until next year. Very Happy
snow conditions
little tiger, icyjock, yes I can see doing that, but I tend to use my skis periodically on trips to UK snowdomes, so don't really want to do the "storage wax" thing.

That Zardoz puck sounds good - are there any drawbacks or pointers for use?
ski holidays
Butterfly, Zardoz easy as pie! It's almost like a little make up compact and you just wipe it on. It's very good.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Butterfly, Zardoz easy as pie! It's almost like a little make up compact and you just wipe it on. It's very good.

I would desribe Zardox as effective, rather than very good, but like most cosmetics the effect is short lived. The cost per litre is extortionate - more effective to pay for a proper hot wax -or better do one yourself.
ski holidays
RobW wrote:
I would desribe Zardox as effective, rather than very good, but like most cosmetics the effect is short lived. The cost per litre is extortionate - more effective to pay for a proper hot wax -or better do one yourself.
.. but surely not after every odd day trip to a "fridge"? Is it worth getting this stuff for interim use like that?
snow report
Butterfly, I've got a zardoz pocket puck - just as sarah, says - as easy as anything to use. Having looked exhaustively on the internet for it in the past I have never seen it for sale cheaper than you can get it from our own Spyderjon and if you go to an event and meet up with him he will often bring one for you with no postage to pay - even with postage it was still the cheapest place to get it from when I looked.
snow conditions
RobW wrote:
sarah wrote:

Very good in this context i.e. for quickly and easily wiping down the edges to prevent rust between skiing sessions. Totally agree with you about it not being long lasting on the bases and doing DIY hot waxing Very Happy
snow conditions
Butterfly - in that situation I WOULD wax my skis myself each time... or at least every second time... WHY? because man made snow is quite abrasive... do your skis look "grey" rather than black at all? then they are getting dried out and "burnt"

We ski a lot of man made here in Oz... also our snow runs through a freeze/thaw cycle nearly every day (we ski at positive temps) and is very moist... so even our natural snow is "harsh" and heavy (it feels very different to ski on than European and TOTALLY different than USA snow)... Base burn is common here... my skis were always waxed every 3-4 days AT MOST by my instructor... I learnt to wax myself because he insisted this was so important... Also a good way to see how you are using skis... if more than a very thin strip (maybe 0.5cm) is greyed off then you are sliding more than edging...

Be careful what you stick on the edges as it can effect wax uptake into base... and if you are using the edges they need the wax most... I'd run a candle or small wax block down it if you are not waxing them... Preferably I'd wax them...
latest report
Impregnate the bases with Zardoz before waxing. It does absorb into the bases with the wax and seems to work well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, sounds like a lot of work! You've certainly answered one question for me though - having skied 5 or 6 times in the UK since last trip abroad, probably amounting to a total of 2-3 days of skiing in terms of hours, I guess I DO need to ask my friend to wax them for me before I go away at the end of January. I am not yet edging very well, so am def doing far more sliding.
ski holidays
I was going to go with a block of candle wax, but whilst browsing in ebay I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230420092465

I've just had it delivered and it looks ideal, only tiny bits of wax would both fit into the palm of your hand, but seems ideal for smarming on edges before putting skis away.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy