Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowberry ski hire Val

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from my first trip to Europe where I skied Espace Killy; a fantasic experience despite the expense. However, I felt that I must relate my experience of the acclaimed Snowberry skihire who blow their own trumpet very loudly. I booked online and all seemed v efficient; all queries answered promptly. I booked economy boots, skis poles and helmets for 2 adults and 2 children for 6 days at a 40% discount. My only previous experience was brand new equipment last year in canada; faultless and cheaper for 3 weeks.
One boot was agony the 1st day, and the binding failed to release; I felt my leg bend !! On returning the next day, it was found that this boot contained 2 insoles whilst the other had none, and this on my larger foot. Problem solved with apologies, but I lost a day skiing. Both my children changed their boots due to discomfort in the next 24hrs. I am inexperienced myself, but felt the bootfitter was too.
On my last day I found that I could have got the same amount of equipment NEW at my nearest hire shop for around 50 euros cheaper. Are Snowberry a victim of their own success ? The shop was chaotic on sunday, the managers looked very overworked, and there was no comment book as claimed on the flash website.
Was I just unlucky ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cstreat wrote:
One boot was agony the 1st day, and the binding failed to release; I felt my leg bend !! On returning the next day, it was found that this boot contained 2 insoles whilst the other had none, and this on my larger foot. Problem solved with apologies, but I lost a day skiing. Both my children changed their boots due to discomfort in the next 24hrs. I am inexperienced myself, but felt the bootfitter was too.

Welcome to snowheads - whilst the double insoles are a mistake it's not unsurprising for people to have to change rental boots - I certainly have on some holidays, now got my own boots properly fitted so don't have this problem - and you'll find even keen skiers sometimes only buy boots, as this means they definitely fit and then they don't have to worry about airline ski carriage charges. The bit about the binding not releasing again doesn't totally surprise me - you rented on a peak week from a busy shop at best you'll get a "weight, level, boot length" then a cross-check on the list to get the right adjustment - and even if the adjustment is 'perfect' for you there may be some falls when the binding doesn't release - if you don't want that to happen then get the hire shop to dial down a couple of DIN from the recommended setting - but then you might have the ski ping-off when you carve hard - it is a compromise after all...

cstreat wrote:

On my last day I found that I could have got the same amount of equipment NEW at my nearest hire shop for around 50 euros cheaper. Are Snowberry a victim of their own success ? The shop was chaotic on sunday, the managers looked very overworked, and there was no comment book as claimed on the flash website.
Was I just unlucky ?

By pre-booking you've guaranteed kit and price, but you've lost the flexibility - so you had to go to a busy shop where you were attended too by what you considered to be poor levels of service - if you hadn't pre-booked you could have walked around and checked out other places. I never pre-book for that very reason, but others prefer to pre-book to 'save' that extra 20 or 30 euros on the trip. Each to their own, and you've just experienced the downside.

Anyway - howabout the good side of your trip - I'm sure the skiing was great and there are some nice restaurants about Val - why not pull together a trip report, where you can praise the suppliers/shops/chalets/bars/restaurants that you enjoyed - here is an example (quite long) of a nice report - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047&start=166
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowberry are a great outfit but one, as you say, that does seem to be suffering from their own success. The team are brilliant (they did a great service on my skis - they are pretty much as good as new!) and work really hard to keep everyone happy. They are in great demand AND are supporting our troops. There are about 8 army ski race teams out in Val at the moment - all hiring recreational and race equipment from Snowberry. Their final races are next week so there'll be a lot more equipment back in the shop after that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year they did a great job for us, first hire shop I've even seen heat and stretch to get a boot to fit, fitted heel lifts, and skis were in great condition. I was impressed despite some till shenangians which meant having to keep a very close eye on the bill to make sure you paid what you expected (in fairness, we were on an odd deal). Ski and boot service staff super friendly and motivated to help too - the ones we got seemed knowledgeable enough, it's not at all uncommon to have to change hire gear - I usually spend a few runs nearby to the store on the first morning for that very reason.

Maybe you were unlucky, maybe they are struggling to maintain standards - pricewise I found everywhere in Val DIsere pretty eye watering, I don't remeber them being out of the ordinary and at least they were always happy to give me a lift in the landy ;P

aj xx
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I rented skis from Snowberry a couple of weeks ago through Crystal. I had paid an extra 50 euros to upgrade, making a total of 117 euros + 12 insurance Shocked The shop was overwhealmed by students on a uni trip. The skis were well used, unattractive skinny carvers. I had a long argument to be offered something else but he said that's what I got for the money. The students on a budget package were getting the same skis as me. I think I would have got the same skis without upgrading. I'll never pre-pay again I could have walked & got shinny new skis from Ski republic next door for less.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy