Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing by train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My partner and I want to go skiing but we can't find a week in which we can both go, so we thought it would be worth looking into the idea of taking a train to 1 of the slopes in France on Friday night, skiing all day Saturday and getting the train back in the evening. I saw this advertised on lastminute.com but the price/choice/dates were crap.

I've only been skiing once (somewhere in the 3 valleys, i don't remember) and my girlfriend has never been, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience getting to the slopes by train, and can recommend the cheapest/easiest/best value etc slopes to get to by train. The less transfers/taxis, the longer we'll get to ski, the better.

All the resorts that can be reached by train are listed on snowcarbon.co.uk if anyone would mind having a quick scan through.

Also, I went on a package trip last time so I'm not sure if this is possible, but could we just arrive at the slope and go rent skis and buy a day ski pass, or does it have to be done in advance?

Thanks for any help Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

looking into the idea of taking a train to 1 of the slopes in France on Friday night, skiing all day Saturday and getting the train back in the evening.

tomma, welcome to snowHeads. I've done that. Nightmare. A long ride for a short slide... what if the weather is crap or the travel arrangements go off a bit?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomma, welcome to snowheads. I sincerely hope that you're in no way linked to the site you;re suggesting, as spamming is pretty bad form. TBH if you've only ever skiied once, then it's a hell of an expensive way to get a second lesson, but the best place is probably Les Arcs in the Tarentaise - the funicular railway to Arc 1600 departs from the train terminus. There are ski and boot hire places at either end of the funicular if you don't have your own geare, and GOrdon and Rosie @ Polaire star at the bottom also do left lugage, not sure about the top. If you do a search, someone has done it a couple of times and written it up
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

looking into the idea of taking a train to 1 of the slopes in France on Friday night, skiing all day Saturday and getting the train back in the evening.

tomma, welcome to snowHeads. I've done that. Nightmare. A long ride for a short slide... what if the weather is crap or the travel arrangements go off a bit?

Thanks! Yeh true, it is a bit of a risk, and expensive like you said...the only other option is taking a Friday off work, fly on thursday night, and come back Sunday evening. It's also because we want to go for a sort of tester trip first (as my girlfriend has not been skiing or similar before). Skiweekends.com has some decent looking deals, but nothing really eye-catching.

nbt wrote:
tomma, welcome to snowheads. I sincerely hope that you're in no way linked to the site you;re suggesting, as spamming is pretty bad form. TBH if you've only ever skiied once, then it's a hell of an expensive way to get a second lesson, but the best place is probably Les Arcs in the Tarentaise - the funicular railway to Arc 1600 departs from the train terminus. There are ski and boot hire places at either end of the funicular if you don't have your own geare, and GOrdon and Rosie @ Polaire star at the bottom also do left lugage, not sure about the top. If you do a search, someone has done it a couple of times and written it up

Hi nbt, no I'm not, I've not even heard of the website! Thanks for the advice, I'll do some googling on Les Arcs. Not sure what you mean about it being an expensive second lesson? Are you saying it's not worth going just for a day if we are novices? I've done quite a lot of dry-slope skiing and I was skiing on red runs the only time I went properly - I'm just not that knowledgeable of how best to go about this type of trip.

Thanks for any help!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomma wrote:
It's also because we want to go for a sort of tester trip first (as my girlfriend has not been skiing or similar before).

That's pretty sure way of turning her off to the whole idea of skiing!

The fly out Thursday night back on Sunday would be a much better option...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tomma,
Agree, train's a nightmare at the best of times.
I'd suggest fly to Lyon, don't know where you're based, but if in the south, perhaps the 3:15 (or whatever - later picking up a hire car may be a problem) from Heathrow on Friday, hire a car, drive to Les Arcs or wherever (2 and a bit hrs), get the 7PM back on Sunday night, that way you get two days. You should get hotel accommodation OK either in LA or BSM - as long as not in school hols.
I did this last summer mountain biking - really cool actually - sitting in local pub at 10PM on the Sunday night was quite surreal!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a train overnight from Paris direct to Luchon-Superbagneres on the Friday night, arrives Saturday am in time for the first lifts of the day and returns on Sunday evening.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy