Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amade (Salzburgerland, Austria)

Poster: A snowHead
i'm currently based out of little Ebin,

the snowfall as for the the past few weeks been sparse and when it does comes not much falls. no doubt, we have been out exploring and linking up some lovely powder turns, but we've also been putting some nasty scrapes into the bases of our skii's. even my brand new tourers Sad .

everywhere is lacking a good base and depth to the snow pack.

ebin only has one run open top to bottom which is very icy. the last snow fall a few days ago is mearly a sprinkling on top of a icy base.

all over the area the snow cannons have been blasting out. i've never seen so many in such a high concentration constantly going. the reservoirs were looking low, but before Xmas day we had warm temperatures and it rained so they were rejuvenated.

so most runs in flachau, ebin, zuchamsee as based on fake snow canon ice/snow.

the off piste is around, but you can cut through to trees/ground quite easily. atleast a foot is needed to cover up stumps, fences, etc. the snow pack has now got a buried wind slab and is still facing a battering from the wind. there is also some depth hoar around underneath the snow pack from the very cold weather and probably all sorts of layers from general ups and downs in temps, wind, rain and snowfall.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds tricky. You might want to drop a copy of this on the Austrian Snow report Winter 2009/2010 forum ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53482&highlight= )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OliC,
Just got to know where to go wink wink
I think Eben is too small to worry about anyway. It is also South facing. But the little park is wonderful as it has the a short button lift next to it so you can have a great play!
I was up Zauchensee last week. Had a good off-piste day under Gamskogel and around thosew parts. It has certainly hardened up now though. The snow we had on Xmas day was a real handy top-up as this will be the busiest week of the season.
Most pistes are very hard packed and are a little icy due to the snow-cannons. I wouldn't worry about the resevoirs yet though!! Plenty more there!

I'm taking a rough guess you might be out here for the season... are you working in Eben or here on a social? Be good to meet!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone know what the on-piste conditions are like in the Hochkoenig area? Going for a week from the 2nd of January, and the forecast looks like it will probably rain upto atleast 1500m this week Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flangesax wrote:
OliC,
Just got to know where to go wink wink

yeah too right, thats the trouble with moving from a french resort/area you know well.

went out today and hit up winkel in downhill boots and no skins. Started at the top of The Stash with a short hike to the top point, then along the ridge and drop down right to find our new open line in the trees. After that we hiked, again, a small ridge inbetween absolut, stash and kleinal.

after that we headed down and to the far side of Zuch to try and pick our way through the barely covered srub to find the diagonal fall line you can see if you look back from the old red gondola.

i am working in ebin, along with my brother, for the season,
do you tour?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

After that we hiked, again, a small ridge inbetween absolut, stash and kleinal.

There was a big avalanche on this ridge last season... it killed a couple of locals - be careful!
I played around that side of Zauchensee last week. Much fresher snow then - good fun! Just wait...!!

I am taking a guess you are working at the English hotel in Eben?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What are conditions looking like in Ski Amade now? We setting off there on the 15th, staying in Flachau, though as we will get there early morning on Saturday 16th suggestions of somewhere nice to ski that arrival day (with parking) would be helpful Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a big car park next to Flachau main gondola. We skied there from 12 o'clock on the arrival day last year. Nice place. You will be on the top quickly.

But make sure you will go to Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl - superb area!!

I believe they might have some new snow this weekend:

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/flachau/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom W, Good to see snow is forecast Little Angel

As we will be able to ski Flachau/Flachauwinkl from our accomodation we were thinking of the other unlinked areas on the liftpass for the first and last Saturdays - somewhere relatively easy access, and good parking makes life easier if anyone has recomendations?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobinS, I presume you will be buying a ski Amade pass. In that case the world is your lobster. Head Wagrain, Alpendorf and beyond. If not then have a bash at the Schladming area.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobinS, IMHO the skiing at Flachau is the dullest in the area. get up to Flachauwinkle and over to Kleinarl and Zauchensee. Also have a bash at Altenmarkt/Radstadt which is a wonderful little hill. The Wagrain side of the Flachau hill has some great runs under both Gondolas and a nice black at the very top with its own covered chair.

Flachau just seemed as if all the runs were the same to me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thought I start posting over here rather than "austria snow report" as most my skiing is in ski amade.

Yesterday headed 40min drive to Mulbach, Hochkonig area. Much quieter than schladming, snowing a little in the morning but slowly tried to clear up but never quite got sunny. Wonderful fresh snow, piste a1 condition the off piste I managed was knee deep powder. Don't know the area very well so just stuck to the obvious stuff near piste side, did find some great trees to ski through.

Snowed some more in schladming last night, wasn't forecast, 5cm in town so hopefully more on the hills.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I skied Wagrain this morning, first lift up, the snow we´ve had the last few days has compacted down, very grippy. The forecast here is for it to turn a lot colder, up to -14 -16, the avi warning is still high. Lunch time I went over to Flachau, but the queues were mad, definately better on the Wagrain side. Will check out Zauchensee tomorrow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAB, i'm out most of tomorrow - not sure where yet... may be with waynos or some others... pm me your number if you want and I can give you a call...

Very warm and sunny today. Spring like conditions in the valley... can't say I've been up a mountain today but a did buy a new fridge and a fan heater....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fab days skiing! Best powder I've had all season. There's probably been 50cm in last week, another top up last night came down cold and fluffy. The sun was out all day. Skied Planai and Haus, tried my luck on some of my fav off piste routes that have been unskiable until now. Some realy nice knee deep powder higher up. The base is still pretty non-existent, several times the snow collapsed through to the ground - whilst in the trees anyway. Not skiing any steep terrain as the avi risk i too high.

Saw an enormous avalanche powder cloud around 3pm. We were skiing down the Planai, the avalanche was coming down the south face of the Dachstein towards Ramsau. From where we were (maybe 2 miles as crow flies) we could see huge cloud of powder.

Avi powder cloud coming down south face of Dachstein towards Ramsau

That is cloud either side of the lower powder cloud.

Tracks under power lines.

Top of Haus
ski holidays
bump - add photos to last post.
ski holidays
waynos, wow, those pics are amazing!
snow conditions
Zauchensee today was perfect, the best conditions I´ve had up there for a long time. Started off on the north side, pistes were rock hard ,grippy surface cover, virtually empty til 10.30ish, headed over into Flachauwinkl pretty much same conditions, queues a bit longer, but the longest wait I had was about 2 minutes for the gondola in Flachauwinkl.The runs down into Zauchensee were busy by 11, better to head up to Gamskugel where they were empty. Avy lights were out over that side too. If anyone is coming out soon, its fantastic!
ski holidays
DAB> can you describe how are the offpiste conditions at the moment? Planning to go there at weekend....
snow report
spat, Looks fantastic, but the avy warnings have been high, as I said the lights were not on over by Gamskugel, you could probably have a bit of fun up there, over the back on the north(black 10?) all the off-piste is roped off.spat, Welcome to snowHead heads BTW
The forcast is for snow too the next three days.
ski holidays
DAB thanks a lot for info. I hope that avy situation will get better by weekend. And keep us updated if you are still up there ...
snow report
spat, There's some very nice powder about at the moment, but as dab said avi risk ih a general 3/5. From what I've seen the base layer is rotten, certainly in Schladming area, seen many small slips through to the ground. Zauchansee has had more snowfall than schladming so probably has a better base setup but still caution required.
ski holidays
Started snowing yesterday afternoon and kept going all night and today. Maybe 30cms fresh very dry powder on the mountains. Skied Zauchansee, off piste in the trees and some clearings, super knee deep and dry champagne powder. On the steeper sections the top layer of snow was sluffing (sliding) down as you skied the fall line. Face shot galore, was choking on the powder at times. Not a great set of photos today don't do the conditions justice.

nice bow wave

Steep and deep
latest report
According to the morning avi report we're at a 4/5 and around 40cm of fresh snowfall came down yesterday. Staying cold, so slow settlement but at least the powder will hang around. In Schladming currently cloudy with light snowfall.
ski holidays
Deep dry powder everywhere Very Happy hardly touched a piste today. Very Happy
ski holidays
Oh booger... I so wish we were still there!!!
snow conditions
We should be later today Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Have been abandoned by anarchicsaltire in luton airport
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loving this thread - I'm out at the end of Feb viewing apartments Very Happy
snow report
holidayloverxx, buying in schladders?Want any advice drop me a PM
ski holidays
waynos, Probably Zell am See but happy to take advice - watch for new thread!
latest report
Been sunny and cold last couple of days, which has kept the powder from last week in good condition. Still plenty of fresh tracks to be had if you know where to look. Today did a late afternoon ski tour up around 300m vertical on the opposite side of the Enns valley from the Planai and Hauser mountains. Set off from a freinds back garden through the woods and up. Glorious views all the way up in all directions. A gentle ski down with a couple of open powder areas, a couple that had turned a tad crusty from the afternoon sun.

On the way up.

Sunset, Planai in the background
snow report
Thanks for excellent pics and reports,I go to Schladming every year,love it.
Top of Haus is great and always uncrowded.Stood next to the cross only last week!!
Going again in March hopefully to do Dachstein and Edelgries.....
snow report
Posted over in the schladming report yesterday for those that are interested.

Skied radstadt today, was trying different boot / ski combos out. Another sunny day and the wamest for sometime, though no slush about yet. Piste in great shape, the little off piste I did through some woods the snow had gone pretty heavy. Lots of snow forecast for weekend and into next week, fingers crossed.
snow report
Quote:

Lots of snow forecast for weekend and into next week, fingers crossed.

yeah that's right... enjoy Scotland then waynos, NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
waynos, that's a great shot of the sunset on Planai!
ski holidays
Summary of last week - Great snow on all 4 Schladming hills, superb snow up at Zauchensee.

By the end of the week a few ice patches were beginning to show and by the end of the day a fair bit of hardpack was showing through by closing time. the pistes were however in breat nick after the snow was redistrubted overnight by the excellent piste workers BUT ....friday saw high temperatures right through until after midnight and EVERYTHING was affected by the heat and then temperatures plunged into the early hours.
Saturday was very unpleasent with everything being rock hard, on or off piste.

A superb week but friday really did kill the snow.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, glad you had a great week Very Happy Zauchensee is truly wonderful isn´t it!! I skied a couple of hours today in Flachau but it was rammed by 10, way too warm , snow is forecast today and friday, dosn´t feel like its going to happen though, very springlike here.
latest report
Skiing in Zell am See on Saturday - hope it holds up
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy