Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Glencoe- if they'll let us!

Poster: A snowHead
We have been winter mountaineering in Scotland for over 25 years, but since learning to ski 5 years ago have skied in many places but not yet Scotland. we have the weekend off Friday 1st to Monday 4th so a quick break is in order. Through our climbing club we have accomodation at Kinlochleven so the plan was to arrive 2am on Friday, then ski Glencoe on New Years day. Just checked on Winterhighland for conditions and weather, only to discover Glencoe aren't bothering to open on New Years Day - it's a Bank Holiday ffs - do they put put getting pissed and lounging in bed ahead of running a business! If that's their proirities under new ownership they won't last long.

Even Nevis Range can't be bothered to open until 10am. Unfortunately, given thier other climate related problems they really haven't a hope if they display such contempt for customers - they need to remember, they need us more than we need them!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unbelievable!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is impressive that they are open at all this early in the season, if conditions later in the week are anything like they are just now then you will have a good day anyway. OH NO, not open until 10?! Just have lunch on the go and you will make it back Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobinS, Nevis Range normally let climbers on the staff gondola when they head up early.... ring and ask Wink
One other thing sunrise is 9am at this time of the year up here.....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, We were planning to ski Glencoe, as it much closer to our accommodation - but they can't be bothered to open at all! I have emailed them and will post what they say!

This sort of thing just makes me despair for the tourist industry in Scotland (and I have been visiting for many decades), unfortunately they have absolutely no concept of providing for customers. When we were in Aviemore a few years ago at Christmas, Cairngorm was closed Christmas day, as were all bar one pub! On boxing day Cairngorm was closed again, because of wind this time, and even that one pub was shut!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not driven from Kinlochleven to Nevis/Cairngorms but assuming you have to go via Glencoe Village it doesn't seem like there is too much of a difference, maybe 10 / 15 minutes.

I agree with you about the openings, I would have skied Nevis on Xmas day had it been open Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robin - Kinlochleven is (timewise) almost exactly half way between Nevis Range and Glencoe. So rather than get your knickers in a twist why not just ski there on the 1st Jan ? Then hit up Glencoe on the 2nd or 3rd - problem solved.

Rightly or wrongly New Year (aka Hogmanay) has always been one of the biggest national holidays in Scotland - and hardly anything will be open on the 1st January - even the pubs! Bummer the ski tows will also be closed on new years day - but it will give us the chance to go touring instead wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Realistically, there would be almost nobody on the slopes at any of the Scottish resorts on Christmas or New Year's Day. It doesn't make any sense for them to open. Different in an alpine resort with a captive, in-resort market.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap, ditto
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Rightly or wrongly New Year (aka Hogmanay) has always been one of the biggest national holidays in Scotland - and hardly anything will be open on the 1st January - even the pubs!
stevomcd wrote:
Realistically, there would be almost nobody on the slopes at any of the Scottish resorts on Christmas or New Year's Day. It doesn't make any sense for them to open. Different in an alpine resort with a captive, in-resort market.

Sums it up pretty well.

IMO theres too many things open on xmas and new years day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If they can't or won't make hay when the sun shines (so to speak), they might as well shut up shop.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The staff are not on some grand wee wee up on Hogmanay, Glencoe will be closed on New Years Day because it's likely to be the quietest day (unlike CairnGorm or Nevis Range there is no captive holiday market for gondola and funicular rides, let alone skiers) and there is still work that needs to be done that would require key facilities to be unavailable for a day.

It is very rare for Glencoe to be open at this time of year, it's not the norm for the West Coast that needs an extensive base that slowly builds up and is often into Mid January before Glencoe is skiable, given this and the difficulty and protracted nature of the change in ownership it's nothing short of miraculous that Glencoe opened before New Year at all.

Another comment going about is regards cash only payments on site, this is entirely outwith their control. The minimum time to get card processing facilities is more than the time from the new owners taking charge and the season started. Glencoe had no staff from April till November, it's not the fault of the staff or the new owners.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have spent a great many Christmases and New Year's in that area climbing and mountain walking, and while I agree Christmas Day is very quiet (we did the Aonach Eagach on Christmas day one year, completely on our own), New Years Day is always pretty busy - I see no reason why Skiing should be different. One thing that is certain - if they don't open they won't get any customers, or have any chance of making any money.

I haven't "got my knickers in a twist" about it - the original plan was mountain walking anyway, but with reports of good skiing conditions we thought we would sample Scottish skiing for the first time - but they are obviously not keen on attracting us. (The two areas may a similar distance, but Glencoe is much quicker and easier to get to).

We probably will go to Nevis Range on the 1st, but after hearing how much Scottish ski resorts and Glencoe in particular want our business this customer unfriendly attitude does discourage me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobinS, what part of

Quote:
Rightly or wrongly New Year (aka Hogmanay) has always been one of the biggest national holidays in Scotland - and hardly anything will be open on the 1st January - even the pubs!

makes you think Glencoe who are lucky to even be open this early and perhaps at all this season, don't want your business???
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, On "one of the biggest national holidays in Scotland" an entertainment provider doesn't open. Providers of this sort are the very businesses that need to open when most potential customers are not at work.
The fact that Glencoe won't open on this bank holiday makes it plain that they don't want my business on one of the very few days they have the chance of it.

We often get threads on here asking if ski resorts will operate normally at Christmas or New Year, and the response is always yes - except in Scotland. As a frequent visitor to Scotland for other activities, I would like to see Scottish skiing thrive, but they have to become a true service industry.
snow report
kitenski, they have chosen to be shut; ergo they don't want his business. It is that simple.

Scotland is climatically marginal for skiing. ISTM that anyone wanting to run a successful operation would have at the core of their strategy the maximisation of revenue whenever conditions happen to be good. That requires agility on all fronts (operations, personnel, etc) including marketing to potential local customers the possibility of a non-traditional New Year's Day. Not easy, but if they won't try, they don't deserve anyone's sympathy IMV.
snow report
I assume you all know what happened with Glencoe this past year, I'm not surprised they are not 100% fully operational given they were bust and not going to open at all.

Get over it, goto Nevis or one of the other open areas....
snow conditions
I don't know why, but on Ski Club GB website, none of the Scottish resorts have been updated since 24th December and Glencoe is showing as shut when it's open.

Nevis, Glenshee & Lecht all have fantastic panoramic webcams. Puzzled
snow report
RobinS wrote:
kitenski, On "one of the biggest national holidays in Scotland" an entertainment provider doesn't open. Providers of this sort are the very businesses that need to open when most potential customers are not at work.
The fact that Glencoe won't open on this bank holiday makes it plain that they don't want my business on one of the very few days they have the chance of it.

I drove past the dry ski slope in Bracknell yesterday (holiday) and there was 1 person on it...
ski holidays
handyman, I'll have a word with the snow reporter Wink
snow conditions
RobinS, I was up with about 10 people at Nevis Range yesterday, I can tell you now that on New Years day every one of them would be risking their license by driving on NYs day. I'd imagine most of Scotland is the same.
ski holidays
arv, their alcohol intake is their business, of course. Let's hope none of them whines hypocritically the next time one of the ski areas goes bust (perhaps permanently) because they prefer nursing a hangover to skiing in great conditions.
snow report
bertie bassett, only because my missus wouldn't let me take my skis. Had to visit in-laws in Binfield and drove right past it. Somehow I've managed never to ski there.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, Something similar myself - although not sure I would have let a lack of skis bother me - after all it is dendex so I wouldn't want to use my piste skis.

the point I was making (somewhat tangentially) was that perhaps the 'demand' is over-exaggerated by the keen ones on here - and that was my closest point of reference. Personally I was really surprised that it wasn't busier but then judging by the tailback along the M4/A33 junction on the Sunday arvo, everyone was either watching footie or sale shopping.

Guess the question is really does the 'average punter' want to go skiing in Glencoe during hogmany?
snow conditions
Quote:

laundryman wrote,
arv, their alcohol intake is their business, of course. Let's hope none of them whines hypocritically the next time one of the ski areas goes bust (perhaps permanently) because they prefer nursing a hangover to skiing in great conditions

Why would you blame the whole nation when it's 1 persons decision whether or not to open his business, for all you know the guy could be English you spaz.
ski holidays
Oh the irony... someone who has never skied in Scotland putting the industry (and nation?) to rights on an internet forum Very Happy

Happy New Year all !
latest report
bear also in mind that the 2nd Jan is also a bank holiday in Scotland - everywhere will be mobbed that day - as others have said, they wont get the crowd on new years day itself (so the making hay while the sun shines comment is plain wrong Laundryman, and a very British/English attitude if I may say so - I bet you give out stink in Spain if you cant get bangers and mash and Eastenders - so what if its in Spain, they should be providing my culture not their own rolling eyes).

Glencoe changed hands a few short weeks ago - up until that point it was shut and doomed to permanent closure. The day after the deal was signed, the (previously layed off) core staff were on site making a start on getting things going - I think the fact that they've gotten going in time for the early snows considering where they were starting from is pretty good. Seasonal staff will likely not yet have come on-board (at any centre probably) so right now the centres are both gearing up for the season and still trying to provide best possible service without the full compliment of resources this early.

If you choose never to return because of something like this then you must be running out of holiday destinations by now rolling eyes Laughing

RobinS how about going for a slide on the 2nd?? Or combine your mountaineering experience with skiing and going touring on new years day? Dont ruin your break by being angry about what could've been!!
ski holidays
geeo, Haggis_Trap, I merely observe:

- Scotland provides marginal skiing territory

- Scots people on here, not me, have observed that on the whole, Scots (even keen skiers) would rather not ski on New Year's Day, whatever the conditions - and I pass no judgement on that (but it wouldn't be my preference)

- in the circumstances, Scots skiers can't complain if their resorts perpetually teeter on the edge of bankruptcy

- one might think that a proprietor, be he Scots, English, French, American or Martian might bend his will to encouraging as many people as possible to make use of the facility when conditions are good.

But please, be as offended as you like.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barry wrote:
I bet you give out stink in Spain if you cant get bangers and mash and Eastenders - so what if its in Spain, they should be providing my culture not their own rolling eyes).

How much?
snow report
you can bring a donkey to water but you cant make him drink, as evidenced by the lack of punters wanting to go skiing in Scotland on Jan 1st, and Laundryman's inability to take a simple point about a well-known and established market trend Laughing We've known that Scottish skiing has long been doomed to climate change (as evidenced by current conditions), but add to that the lack of supportive, sober, non-ASBO patronage and then it is truly coming to an end (and deservedly so!)

bit self-important to think that the likes of the few folk on this thread making their point as we are would be offended by your efforts Laughing

over and out, we're all off skiing Toofy Grin

an Irishman in Scotland (imagine how feckin hungover I'll be on new years day......skiing my awrse Laughing )
snow conditions
if, traditionally, hardly any one ever skis on one specific day of the year (1st Jan) in Scotland and the resorts do not open on that day, what is the big issue Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

if, traditionally, hardly any one ever skis on one specific day of the year (1st Jan) in Scotland and the resorts do not open on that day, what is the big issue

some english tw4t wants to go skiing and is having a cry cos it's not open Little Angel
snow report
laundryman, maybe our culture is to blame, not the ski centres Toofy Grin

Even if I only had a few drinks around the bells, I wouldn't want to be getting in the car at 6am to drive.
latest report
Aaahh - Scotlandshire - one of the nicest counties in England Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
As someone who was very successful in the leisure industry a while back, I can categorically tell you that. 1) New years day is always dead. 2) Location Location Location. Ther eis a market for a resort type place eg Nevis and Cairngorm. But somewhere like Glencoe will be dead because you need to drive there. 3) Some people drink the night before and should not be in their car before 1-2pm so would not e fit to drive legally Happy 4) Everyone deserves a holiday on that day no matter what. 5) the same applies to Christmas day and you wouldn't expect folk to work on that.

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
Well I have had a very pleasant and reasonable from Andy Meldrum at Glencoe. The reasons they are shut on New Years Day are briefly:

Shortage of staff.
The staff they have have worked hard to open and want a day off.
Seasonal staff are likely to not turn up due to hangovers.
Closing that day will enable them to prepare better for the rest of the weekend.

I do understand his reasoning, but what he, and some of the other anti english posters on here (
Quote:

some english tw4t wants to go skiing and is having a cry cos it's not open Little

) is that with the existing (mainly Scottish) custom the ski industry is going down the pan. Glencoe has already gone bust once (or is it twice?) in the last few years - the same old attitude will only make it happen again - and that attitude is most evident in posters on here - Andy Meldrum does not display the take it or leave it attitude of some Snowheads.

This will not spoil our trip in the slightest, we will probably ski Nevis on 1st (weather allowing), and go mountaineering on the 2nd when the ski centres will be rammed as I hate crowds.

Much of my frustration is because we hear so much about the plight of Scottish ski centres, and are exhorted to go there (frequently by posters on here) but they do not seem prepared to actually encourage the new customers they so desperately need. Given that it is a long weekend, with good snow, and a good forecast they should be promoting the weekend to potential new customers rather than just catering for the "tradition" that caused them to go bust in the first place.
snow conditions
RobinS wrote:
....Much of my frustration is because we hear so much about the plight of Scottish ski centres, and are exhorted to go there (frequently by posters on here) but they do not seem prepared to actually encourage the new customers they so desperately need. Given that it is a long weekend, with good snow, and a good forecast they should be promoting the weekend to potential new customers rather than just catering for the "tradition" that caused them to go bust in the first place.

Seems fair comment.
ski holidays
Some good points raised and some silly ones

Most Scots wont want to go skiing on new years day, so we cant complain if Glencoe goes bust? Complete rubbish. Im sure plenty of people who arent present on new years day will make plenty of visits to the hill in the coming season.

Also - Glencoe doesnt want to attract new customers simply because it isnt open on new years day? I cannot see much logic there. Where is the proof that it would be a profitable day to operate?

Consider the evidence against opening on new years day...due to the location it is a drive/public transport only site - no public transport to the hill which leaves driving only - not many are willing to sacrifice there hogmany celebration to get up the next morning and go skiing. Fair enough that some would like to ski but - it would seem that Glencoe arent equipped to provide for the needs of a customer of this kind.
latest report
Skola, if Glencoe is serious about being attractive to skiers outside Scotland, then I would have thought New Year's day should be a must. Granted that would mean proper marketing, advertising and press releases. I fully accept it can do what it likes - but I do believe that no New Year's Day opening = not bothered abut attracting the non-Scottish public.
snow conditions
Wow. Just. Wow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy