Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding positioning off ski centre questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've heard of incorrectly positioned bindings requiring redrilling. On modern skis the new rail systems allow such an adjustment without the need for redrilling. It's been mentioned to me that Elan employ a womens design and manufacturing teams that build womens specific skis.

This brought up the subject of deliberately setting the boot centre forward \ backwards of the centre point. Several earlier postings have mentioned this. So I have few questions:-

1) Are 'womens specific' skis bindings already set off centre so that a 'male' skier would experiece less than optimum performance?
2) Is it a common practise to have boot centre positions adjusted from the norm? I do know is possible to have your own balance point position checked to enable this to be adjusted. Is this a common practice or only for the ski pro's out there?
3) Assuming this is required, would the stance change over time or as experience increases or is it a one off test?
4) Would the normal (if there is any such person) recreational skier be aware of any of this this being needed?.

Discuss please
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No Names, no pep drill - 'twas me that did the mentioning, 'twas him that wouldn't believe me until I found the evidence Toofy Grin

I am sure it is common practice for ski's built specifically for women to have any pre-installed bindings, such as rail systems installed so that woman would ski fractionally forward of the centre of the skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1, womens specific 'skis' have an adjusted centre line so that their COG is forward a bit, , a male skiier may or may not notice/like it.
2, yes many people mount off centre for lots of reasons and no it's not just for pro's , all skis are different, where you mount them makes a difference, people are different, checking your balance point (what's the test?) has nothing to do with mounting a ski off centre
3, no imo mounting a ski off centre is about how a ski ski's.
4, maybe yes, maybe no.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a similar note, I saw this about offsetting foot angle within boots to a more natural slight v position. I wondered whether they had considered a different offset for men and women.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly, That looks & sounds most odd, I don't know if I would be comfy skiing like that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
geeo wrote:
2, yes many people mount off centre for lots of reasons and no it's not just for pro's , all skis are different, where you mount them makes a difference, people are different, checking your balance point (what's the test?)

Ability to balance on an edge with a left-right axis and seeing how closely that matches the centerline of the boot.

Quote:

has nothing to do with mounting a ski off centre

Mounting forward of centre is in some ways like under-toe lift.

Butterfly wrote:
On a similar note, I saw this about offsetting foot angle within boots to a more natural slight v position.

It's only natural to some, and has a very real possibility to change with muscle training.

Quote:

I wondered whether they had considered a different offset for men and women.

Can be done much more tidily by changing the tip-tail width difference (ski taper). Have a closer look at those differences and compare what's available for women and what is unisex.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BMF Skier

Last changed skis to go longer / wider but they are also much longer from boot to tip than previous, while tails are all but the same (from 169cm to 186cm overall length) on piste they seem to ski much the same as the tips are really soft, but off piste those tips hold me up in anything and give a completly different feel with much more confidence. I love em!! and they accelerate like hell when you really want it.

Fun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Mounting forward of centre is in some ways like under-toe lift.

comprex, by trial and error i found this to be very true. all my skis that are heel high i put the bindings as far forward as i could adn skied em much better... could you expand on why this is the case?...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly wrote:
On a similar note, I saw this about offsetting foot angle within boots to a more natural slight v position. I wondered whether they had considered a different offset for men and women.

Yep nordica do this as well and call it NFS (natural foot stance) its ment to help with the natural balance of the person i think...(I may of dreamed that bit up but im pretty sure I stayed awake in the product training) The idea is that if you stand with your feet at a slight angle out it increases your balance, they only kick u out very slightly... (think its like 1 degree)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing this thread proves is that there was nothing wrong with my memory - I knew I'd read about bindings being mounted slightly forwards, particularly on women specific skis.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I put rental bindings on my powder skis for just this reason.
With salomon rentals (and others I'd assume) you can move the foot position to/fro by several cm's. Depending on the conditions I may want to be fairly centered (on piste skiing) or right back (steep and deep).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pep drill? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp, Volkl do a (non-rental) adjustable binding as well - got a daft name like "Schizofrantic".

comprex,

Quote:

comprex, by trial and error i found this to be very true. all my skis that are heel high i put the bindings as far forward as i could adn skied em much better... could you expand on why this is the case?...

ditto! snowHead

jonm, the only thing I can suggest is try google - but turn the safe search on or prepare for a miriad of German and Dutch websites wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonm, "pack drill" snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy