Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Layering to keep warm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.

We are going skiing in Sun Peaks and Big white in Canada at the end of Jan. Last time I skiied I wore my arcteryx shell and an old TNF soft shell with a couple of layers underneath that. I have never been cold in the past, except in exceptional conditions, but that time I did feel it. I thought the shell was a good way to go but it some how gave me the impression it was chilling me down. Can anyone suggest some good makes of base layers and softshells I should look at. Or any other (sensible) ways to keep warm on the Canadian slopes.

Cheers
JP
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there much insulation in a soft shell jacket? There isn't in mine. I wear a North Face Redpoint jacket under my shell if it's cold. I think it traps a layer of warm air so adds plenty of warmth to the shell jacket.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
justapurrin, a few ideas here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58836

When I skied over there I wore a decent merino base, thinish synthetic top and a primaloft gilet under my shell and that was fine. If you have a decent base layer, you shouldn't need to dress up like Michelin Man IMHO snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get a Down Mountaineeriing jacket for starters.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
justapurrin, When we were over that way last season, I wore a merino base, polartec 100 fleece and Free Thinker Shell, usually warm enough. A couple of occasions I swopped the fleece for a monkeyman fleece to be really toasty. It didnt get cooler than around -25 though + wind chill. Depends how you feel the cold - I didnt think soft shells were insulated, if not ditch it.

Big White can get windy and they are known to close chairs if its really rough, enjoy the trip. The drive past Vernon to Kelowna is really picturesque Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Neck gaitor;
2. Wrist warmers;
3. Boot warmers.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are off to Sun Peaks tomorrow!

There have been lots of 'how do I keep warm in Canada?' threads recently, and Sun peaks shouldn't have the bone chilling LL temps. But my tips are similar to White gold's.

Face mask (even if just worn round neck)
Mittens not gloves
Boot warmers (quite an expense here though)
Layers and
Keep all exposed skin covered
Under helmet balaclava
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy