Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do Ryanair check ski bags for non ski stuff

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone recently used Ryanair for their ski-ing break, wondering if they check ski bags to see if normal luggage (clothes etc) is in the ski bag, in addition to skis, boots, poles. There is a 20kg limit, hoping to put clothes etc in ski bag and trying to find out if they look in the ski bag
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kendub, You're fine as long as it's within weight.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went last week with Ryaniar to Milan. We had one bag with 2 snowboards with bindings plus we fill it in with plenty of clothes up to 20kg limit. No problem both ways.
In recent years I had 3 trips with Ryanair to Salzburg. Always put lots of clothes and one snowboard and had no problem.
However I have heard that thay might check it sometimes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if they do you tell them to Be Nice please! off, because as long as your bag is within weight limits what right do they have to search it?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You use clothes to pack round your skis to avoid handling damage. They will not provide their own insurance for transit damage. Nuff said.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah wrote:
And if they do you tell them to off, because as long as your bag is within weight limits what right do they have to search it?

They have every right to search any and every bag presented for check in, regardless of whether it is within their limits or not.

While they don't search most bags, if they do ask, and you refuse, then either you or your bag (or both) will simply not be travelling - and with no refund.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why would they search a bag when they know the bags are getting screened later? They merely ask the generic security questions, and otherwise they're happy. Unless you get an absolute **** who is on a power trip, I see no reason why they'd ask to search your bag. I've flown literally hundreds of times and have never witnessed the person at the check-in desk asking someone to open their bag. I find this whole scenario a little unlikely.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmaah wrote:
Why would they search a bag when they know the bags are getting screened later?

Because they think you have more than just the single pair of skis you have booked?

In the past, even this type of check have been very rare, but anecdotal evidence suggests it is becoming more common.

And they always have the right to do so, regardless of how rarely they may exercise that right.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you have any online links to this anecdotal evidence? I'd be intrigued to read some of these stories.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have had my snowboard bag checked at grenoble airport at the 'drop off' place
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Rayscoops, did you have any non-sports equipment in it / did you need to remove anything
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it was my only hold baggage so was full of everything for my trip but only one board. it was the airport more than the airline that was doing the checking, they simply asked me to open it and had a quick check then asked me to close it; maybe the scanning equipment was not working but I was surprised nevertheless to have my bag checked. They were not concerned about it being full of general stuff.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney wrote:
Because they think you have more than just the single pair of skis you have booked?

Cant see where the difference is between 1 pair of wide heavyweight "concrete" ski's and 2 pairs of lightweight thin cross country ski's.... having the same bag size and same weight.

if they are bothered what is in the same size bag then it is just another money making exercise for them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

just another money making exercise for them

Er... yes.

But to be fair I think the limitation is 20kg per item of luggage rather than stipulating a number of skis/poles/boots etc etc. And really it is the weight that is the issue.

But in the current climate I think it would be foolhardy to try to argue that any member of the airport or airline staff could not check any bag you have with you hand luggage or otherwise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops wrote:
it was my only hold baggage so was full of everything for my trip but only one board. it was the airport more than the airline that was doing the checking, they simply asked me to open it and had a quick check then asked me to close it; maybe the scanning equipment was not working but I was surprised nevertheless to have my bag checked. They were not concerned about it being full of general stuff.

I've had my bags checked a number of times but by AIRPORT / CUSTOMS and not by the airline - Dunno if they reckon us gnarly boarders are dope heads (unlikely).

Does the AIRLINE have the right to check/search bags - I doubt it - provided that you are within their weight/baggage size restrictions than surely you should be all good to go. In 7 or 8 trips with sleazy, dandair and others I've never had an airline say anything..

I even got summonsed once by an armed copper once leaving Friedchicken, taken to an interview room, re-united with my luggage and asked to explain the 'flat oblong package' that was on the top of my bag and they thought was suspicious - they didn't really see the funny side when I explianed in pidgeon German that is was the loudspeakers for my ipod - but when the swabs came back negative I was allowed to board the plane..
snow report
alex_heney, I asked someone in the airline business. I'm afraid you were misinformed. As the person above me posted, only airport/security staff have the right to check the bag, not the airline personnel.
latest report
Quote:

Does the AIRLINE have the right to check/search bags - I doubt it

Right now and after what may or may not have happened in Detroit I really would suggest it is not worth disputing anyone's authority as to whether they can or cannot check your bag. Actually most staff from budget or national carriers I have dealt with in last few years have been fairly sensible, just watch the weight allowance! Smile
latest report
daehwons wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Cant see where the difference is between 1 pair of wide heavyweight "concrete" ski's and 2 pairs of lightweight thin cross country ski's.... having the same bag size and same weight.

if they are bothered what is in the same size bag then it is just another money making exercise for them.

Of course it is.

I don't think there is anybody thinks anything else. And I think we also all think it should be irrelevant what is in the bag, so long as it meets the dimensions and weight specified. But the airline T&C often say different. And they have te right to enforce those T&C, no matter how much you may believe otherwise.
snow conditions
Timmaah wrote:
alex_heney, I asked someone in the airline business. I'm afraid you were misinformed. As the person above me posted, only airport/security staff have the right to check the bag, not the airline personnel.

If you believe that he is correct, then I assume he quoted the law which prevents them having that right.

You will certainly find it in the conditions of carriage of most (probably all) airlines, and therefore there would have to be a specific law removing that right in order for them not to have it.

Ryanair - Section 8.5 http://www.ryanair.com/en/conditions/carriage/

Thomsonfly also section 8.5 http://flights.thomson.co.uk/en/terms.html (click on the conditions of carriage)

British Airways 8h1 http://www.britishairways.com/travel/genconcarr1/public/en_gb
ski holidays
alex_heney, serious question, do you have an issue with being incorrect?

Ryanair T&C: It refers to security checks. Airline personnel do not carry out security checks. Additionally, it talks about how your bags may be asked to be searched, but this would be carried out by airport, not airline, staff.

I cba checking the other t&c cause I'm pretty sure they say the same thing. Can they ask for your bag to be searched by airport staff? Most definitely. Can they themselves search your bag without your permission? Most definitely not.

nozawaonsen, just cause of recent events, I dont see why we should be more lax about possible misuse of our civil rights, but that's a bit off-topic...
ski holidays
Quote:

nozawaonsen, just cause of recent events, I dont see why we should be more lax about possible misuse of our civil rights, but that's a bit off-topic...

Of course not. But in the interests of getting through the airport experience as quickly and as smoothly as possible I would just suggest that now is not the time to be awkward wink or set fire to your underwear.

Most airline and airport security staff I have dealt with on baggage issues are very helpful (a particular mention for the security and BA staff at Salzburg). I have never had anyone bother to ask me what is in the bag (beyond the usual questions) unless it has been way over the limit. Fair enough. Indeed recently I actually had some airline staff suggest that I combine two pairs of skis in one bag so as to reduce the cost. Nice. Most of the time airline staff just want to get the passengers through as quickly and as smoothly as possible. If however someone starts being difficult I have no doubt they will slowly reach for the Terms and Conditions... Keep it within the weight limit, smile and advance to go.
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
....Airline personnel do not carry out security checks. ...

Sez who?
snow conditions
You're mistaking airline personnel with airport personnel. I'll glady put my hands up and say I've been wrong if you show me something that proves me wrong.
snow conditions
Timmaah, I'm not going to 'prove' anything; you are the one making the assertion. However, I cannot see any curt getting upset if airline staff insisted on seeing for themselves what was in baggage before permitting it on to one of their aircraft. Oh, and I do know the difference between airline and airport personnel. rolling eyes

FWIW I think this an argument with little point - IIRC ski bags come under the aegis of 'sports equipment' - as do ski jackets, sallopettes, and a bunch of other sundries - so you should be able to make up the weight of your 'sports equipment' bag with those. I just can't see anyone caring about what is in the bags, provided they are weighed (so that the airline knows the weight and balance of luggage over all is acceptable) and your own luggage is within permitted weight limits.
latest report
when you pay for ski sports equipment the definition is quite explicit with most arlines and regularly refers to 'one' set of skis and poles, one snowboard etc., iirc, so technically all you should really have in your bag are the skis/poles/snowboard etc., but it is probably more hassle than it is worth for the airlines to enforce the T&Cs. If your weight is over the limit they are more likely to charge excess baggage than ask you to ditch a ski jacket or set of skis etc to lower the weight.

Basically I have never been picked up on having extra stuff in my snowboard bag over the last 20 trips and would not worry too much about it Very Happy
snow report
From the Ryanair website, below. Just says per item - presumably per item of paid for luggage up to 20kg. No reference to number of skis, fishing rods, harps or drums (indeed no mention of poles at all perhaps I should not have been taking these??? wink)

I have often stuffed three or four light weight harps into the bag no problem...

"Sporting equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to cellos, harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of an additional discounted fee per item, per one way flight if booked online. If the item is not booked until arrival at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre the full fee will apply (Click here for rate details). Any item of sports equipment weighing over 20 kilos will be charged for the excess weight at the applicable rate per kilo."

It's all about the weight. Now of course may not be the time to raise the point about some airline passengers being smaller and less heavy than others hence deserving an extra double bass allowance...
snow conditions
£80 to take your skis Shocked stuff the bag until the seams are bursting for that
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
alex_heney, serious question, do you have an issue with being incorrect?

Not at at all, if somebody can show that I am incorrect. Do you?

It happens, we all get things wrong.

But I will always argue my position until and unless somebody can show I am incorrect.

Quote:

Ryanair T&C: It refers to security checks. Airline personnel do not carry out security checks. Additionally, it talks about how your bags may be asked to be searched, but this would be carried out by airport, not airline, staff.

In which case, they have no need to mention it.

Their T&C mention t because they may ask to search your bags. Not because a third party may (in fact always will/b]). It is perfectly possible that in the rare situation where they would ask for it, they would then ask airport staff to do so, but their T&C make no mention of that.

Quote:

I cba checking the other t&c cause I'm pretty sure they say the same thing.

They do say pretty well exactly the same, yes. Though at least one said "for reasons of security or safety" rather than just security, but that is irrelevant.

Quote:

Can they ask for your bag to be searched by airport staff? Most definitely. Can they themselves search your bag without your permission? Most definitely not.

As in absolutely most definitely [b]YES

Unless you are saying I am unable to read those links I posted, and you are sying there is something in those T&C which states tat they cannot do what they say tey may require.?

There is NOTHING in those T&C which say the checks can or will only be carried out by airport staff.

Therefore, they have the right to do so themselves.

Whether they ever exercise that right is another matter.

Quote:

It is nothing to do wit civil liberties.

It is to do with the terms of the contract you agree to when you buy an airline ticket.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But you're assuming something, and I'm assuming something else. This arguments become a little bit cyclical. Agree to disagree.
ski holidays
Timmaah, I'm not assuming beyond the reasonable assumption that T&C are valid unless there is a good reason in law why they would not be.

I'm quoting actual T&C. You are assuming that for some reason, said actual T&C are not valid.

You say you were told by an airline employee, but you don't say what level of employee they are (or what airline), nor what reasons said employee gave why they think their employer's terms are invalid.
snow report
"I'm not assuming beyond the reasonable assumption" Laughing

Happy holidays alex, I hope you get some of that snow soon - it might make you smile once in a while.
snow conditions
Timmaah wrote:
"I'm not assuming beyond the reasonable assumption" Laughing

It wasn't funny. If you think that it is not reasonable to assume T&C are valid without any reason they might not be, then I would hate to do business with you.

Quote:

Happy holidays alex, I hope you get some of that snow soon - it might make you smile once in a while.

I smile plenty, thanks. Smile

And we had more than enough snow round here recently.
latest report
Hi Folks, re Ryanair, anyone just back from a trip using Ryanair, did they check skis bags or just weigh em
ski holidays
An update

In Dublin or Bergamo airports, no visual check of what is inside your ski bag, which means clothes etc can be carried in ski bag, once bag not over 20kg.

Interesting to see if other snowheads found this to be the case with RA
snow conditions
Pretty sure for most airlines you're only supposed to have one pair of skis and one pair of poles. However, I always stuff as much stuff in the bag as possible - clothes, salopettes, whatever. Just say it's padding, I doubt anyone would have an issue with it in reality, and certainly even after having my bag scanned before check-in in Innsbruck it was still deemed fine. I have travelled with two sets of skis in the same bag, I think this may cause more of a problem than clothes.
ski holidays
Did not check luggage in Dublin or Memmingen, we carry 2 sets of ski's and helmets in a board bag, 19.4kg ....no problem.
On a seperate issue I asked at check-in what would happen with a 20.9kg weight ? They said no charge, its every full 1 kg over, but thats not official and I would not want to test it out !!
ski holidays
Flew back from the US a week ago, with the two of us. One sportstube *) had a pair of ski's. The other one we loaded up with clothing (we left the ski's in the US). Both were totally fine. However, I must say that even for airports like Haily and Salt Lake City, they really don't know how to open and close/repack these baby's. They were massively struggling getting everything back into the tube, in front of our eyes. My poor ski's Happy

*) http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3461064600330
latest report
One way around system if you need to bring more than 20kg, extra skis etc, this applies to Dub and Bergamo, but may work in other airports, where skis go thru a seperate channel to luggage ;

Hand ski bag to RA staff, they weigh and ensure less than 20kg they then affix the baggage tab to ski bag, next YOU bring the ski bag to the airport hatch for skis, oversized bags, bikes etc. Workaround is : before you bring the ski bag to the aiport hatch for ski bags, you add extra skis etc wink

Out of interest, is the seperate hatch the norm in airports, or are ski bags loaded on the normal conveyor belt with cases etc
latest report
kendub, In over a dozen ski trips or so always taking my own gear and only paying per ski bag, I have never had my bag checked. You simply take to oversized luggage who scan and send off to plane. Simples. This year went out with EasyJet and back with Ryanair. Easyjets allowance is 30kg per ski bag and 20kg for ryanair. I had loads of things in them in addition to skis. What are your worried about. I've even had 6 pairs of skis last year in the one bag - as long as it does not exceed the allowance and you are not trasnporting illegal goods, they do not give a poo-poo whether its skis and dildos that you've got in your 'ski' bag
snow report
kendub, I have yet to find an airport where the skis go through the normal baggag drop at check in.

But there probably are some.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy