Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen - Snow at the back end of March... Quick question..

Poster: A snowHead
I recently posted a question about Hinterglemm vs Mayrhofen and after much deliberation we plumped for Mayrhofen.

However, various events have meant that we now have to move our trip to the 20th March.

I know that snow fall is never guaranteed, but under "normal, average conditions" would the slopes above Mayrhofen be decently ski-able this late in March?

[I know there is the glacier to fall back on!]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been a few times, always later than you have been and there's always been plenty of snow. Last year I went the week leading up to Easter, it was baking hot, 25 degrees in the village and 16 on the mountain but due to it being a very good season snow wise there was plenty of cover. There's no guarantee, of course, but you'd have to be unlucky. Finally, there had better be as I'm off there on 3rd April.
Enjoy, its a great place. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who knows what the weather will do this year rolling eyes but "under normal, average conditions" it wouldn't even cross my mind to wonder if there will be any snow at the end of March. South facing slopes might be soft and can be sketchy near the bottom but there are often big snowfalls around here in March... I wouldn't be worrying yet and anyway, like you say, if it's really rubbish the glacier is just up the road.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
magic_hat, Snobombing Festival is normally on the first week of April so you should have plenty of snow to play on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers All... Feeling suitably reassured - enough to get it booked! All done. Am off to Mayrhofen in March!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to add, I've been to Mayrhofen the past two years running for Snowbombing, which is typically held in late March to early April. Conditions both times have been very good; slightly slushy this year on some lower runs but the higher runs were excellent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers Dav.

Originally only chose Mayrhofen because the guesthouse had single rooms available... it was way down on my list of "resorts i'd like to visit". However, the more i read and see about it, the more looking forward to it I am. Think i have made a great choice (just hope the rest of my group think that!).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, feel free to quiz me all you like when we meet in January, have spent three weeks there Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andytb, Brilliant! Will definitely do that, cheers!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can anybody tell me a bit more about this Snowbombing thing? Is it a sort of rock festival on snow? Do you have to get tickets? Does it go on late? Is it a good place for old guys with 20 year old sons to go?

snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish, Chris Bish, Read all about it.
http://www.snowbombing.com/en/
I've been to Mayrhofen a couple of times the week after Snowbombing and seen a lot of the clientele waiting to depart on change over day. They look like they needed a rest to get over it. AFAIK the answers to your questions are yes, yes and maybe. 20 yr old sons should enjoy it - not sure about their fathers. As it happens I'll be there when its on in April though not as a paid up Snowbomber. Looking forward to it if only to see what its like. There's a bit of life in the old dog yet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks as if you have to do the thing as a package. I was thinking of dropping in for a few days while snow-hunting round Austria. Where are the concerts held?

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Bish, Not entirely sure but in the bars and clubs presumably. Pretty sure the night club in the Strass Sport hotel is one and the Sports Bar in the same hotel, another. Also unsure as to whether you have to buy a single ticket for the whole festival or can pick and choose your events. Its purely coincidental that I am going the same week. I always ski around Easter but precisely when depends on when school holidays fall as a number of our party are teachers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, you don't neccessarily have to do it as a package. The package deal gives you a wrist band which gets you into various venues around the town which host the events. You need the wrist band, you can't pay to get in. However, I'm pretty sure you can just turn up and buy a wrist band, though I wouldn't be able to say how much they are. Concerts are held in some of the clubs throughout town, plus some converted venues like the indoor racket club. The Forest party is held outdoors on the outskirts of town. And usually on a Wednesday there is a big street party outside the main gondola, which you don't need a wrist band for. In my opinion this one is usually one of the best throughout the week.

I've been twice now and loved it both times. Although last time I found I didn't make the most of my party time, choosing instead to get up in the mornings and make the most of some really quiet slope time while everyone else was still in bed. Like Corky says above, a lot of people there hit the nights very hard, we had more than a few on our early morning transfer back to the airport who were still heavily under the influence of one thing or another!

It's really a great week as the party transfers onto the slopes so well, on quite a few days there are fancy dress themes during the day so you see some weird and wonderful sights. Watching a mate of mine stack it and get helped up by Superman and Spiderman was a surreal experience!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dav,
Quote:

make the most of some really quiet slope time while everyone else was still in bed.

That's the bit I'm looking forward to most.
snow conditions
Corky, in that case you'll love it. I read many reports on here about how the Penken gondola was such a nightmare in the morning. We got there between 8.30 and 9.30 every morning and not once did we fail to get on the first available gondola, I've never seen a big resort so quiet. Hardly any queues up on the mountain throughout the day either.

Quite jealous I'm not going again this year, but it's off to Italy for us this time for something different.
ski holidays
Dav, There's always next year and Italy is reeeeeeally nice.
snow report
So long as you're prepared to absolutely mach it at the end of each run, to aquaplane over the inevitable massive puddle, it's fine right into April. Snowbombing is the final week usually isn't it? I was there for that one year, and it was fine.
snow report
Thanks very much. That is really useful information. Bev, Jon and I are thinking of flying to Munich (seems the only place nearby you can fly to from the Midlands) hiring a car and starting off by visiting my school's ski trip at Saalbach. We would then go on to Mayrhofen, in particular wanting to catch The Editors. It seems to be a feasible plan. Any more info or ideas gratefully received. I/We have never been to Mayhofen before. Is it a parking nightmare?

snowHead
snow conditions
I always say this on Mayrhofen threads, but make damn sure you spend a day in Hintertux. Seen by many as the 'glacier down the road that's a guarantee in case of poor snow' - it's so much more than that just a snow insurance policy. A brilliant area, an easy bus ride away.
snow conditions
After much research, discovered that the best way of getting the Easter week in Mayrhofen is via a TO. Not a big surprise, often the case for school holiday weeks.
Managed to book Bev and I into a nice hotel (the Rose) and Jon into a pension, but still not sure how to get Snowbombing tickets. At present the website is only offering a ticket and bed package that we don't want. Anyone know how to get tickets, how much etc if you are going to be there anyway?

snowHead
snow report
IOE you don't need tickets for snowbombing unless you want to get into specific events. Most of the action is outside, or even if it is inside, listening outside is much more pleasant experience.

A few years ago, friends got moved out of their hotel because the bar underneath was being used as a snowbombing venue: there weren't to happy the previous night as the partying went on until well past dawn.
ski holidays
Trust me, we will not be partying until well past dawn wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy