Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do i need suncream

Poster: A snowHead
Aha! I've just found out from random rumours online that suntan lotion does appear to go off, especially when exposed to air. They say it doesn't just lose it's potency; it become totally ineffective. Shocked
I don't think any of my suntan lotions have best before dates on the bottles.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I have a high factor suntan lotion for skiing which I bought in 2005 and I'm wondering if I need to update it.

Absolutely!

The Boots website tells me that "Piz Buin Mounain Sun Cream SPF 50+" is currently retailing at £8-81 so really no excuse!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Suncream gives you skin cancer as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
...and so can the bisphenol A in white fillings... but then I'm told it's preferable to the mercury poisoning your get from metal fillings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
(neuroblastoma rather than skin cancer though...)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got myself a brand new bottle of 150ml SPF30 cream which should do the job. Had to shop around though. Boots and Superdrug had nothing on the shelves other than xmas tat (sorry, lovely gift sets in nice booxes).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman wrote:
psbbst, when the sun's not over the horizon and it's mostly overcast, I don't think there's much of an issue with suncream for anyone who's not got the fairest type of skin. Where I go skiing at this time year, there's one spot where the sun peaks over the crags on the horizon for about 5 minutes at 1145. It's usually absolutely freezing, so there's little exposed skin (plus, I usually have a beard!). I haven't even been slightly tanned in these circumstances. I would always wear goggles though - to keep warm and to see properly as much as anything.

But for anyone who's not aware of the factors affecting the intensity of UV radiation, the advice should obviously be "better safe than sorry".

I guess if the sun's not over the horizon like when you're in north of Sweden and in the upper reaches fo Finland, then probably ok esp if its all covered up! I was just pointing out to the others that just because there is no sunshine (with the sun well out over the horizon but obscured by clouds) it doesn't mean they won't burn since we cannot see UV light, and we are much higher above sea level increasing the exposure effects, plus all the reflection off the snow surface.

I always put cream on my face esp the lower face when skiing during the day, regardless of whether its cloudy or sunny day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
psbbst wrote:
laundryman wrote:
psbbst, when the sun's not over the horizon and it's mostly overcast, I don't think there's much of an issue with suncream for anyone who's not got the fairest type of skin. Where I go skiing at this time year, there's one spot where the sun peaks over the crags on the horizon for about 5 minutes at 1145. It's usually absolutely freezing, so there's little exposed skin (plus, I usually have a beard!). I haven't even been slightly tanned in these circumstances. I would always wear goggles though - to keep warm and to see properly as much as anything.

But for anyone who's not aware of the factors affecting the intensity of UV radiation, the advice should obviously be "better safe than sorry".

I guess if the sun's not over the horizon like when you're in north of Sweden and in the upper reaches fo Finland, then probably ok esp if its all covered up! I was just pointing out to the others that just because there is no sunshine (with the sun well out over the horizon but obscured by clouds) it doesn't mean they won't burn since we cannot see UV light, and we are much higher above sea level increasing the exposure effects, plus all the reflection off the snow surface.

I always put cream on my face esp the lower face when skiing during the day, regardless of whether its cloudy or sunny day.

I was talking about the Northern French Alps, as it happens, but I think we're more or less agreed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike-H wrote:
Just got myself a brand new bottle of 150ml SPF30 cream which should do the job. Had to shop around though. Boots and Superdrug had nothing on the shelves other than xmas tat (sorry, lovely gift sets in nice booxes).

I asked the lady and she got some from the stock room wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike-H, are you the one going with a baby - 17 months? If so you need to put it on her aswell. The creche will take them for walks if the weathers fairly reasonable.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

are you the one going with a baby - 17 months? If so you need to put it on her aswell. The creche will take them for walks if the weathers fairly reasonable.

Bloody good shout - yes that is I (baby is nearly 15 months). Had not even thought of that. I had better see if I have some of SPF50 stuff from August. Otherwise I will be off to the shops again.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And weather is looking sunny for Sat and Sun. Snow for Mon-Fri. Not too heavy so I am hopeful for a week of good ski weather. Not that I know what that is really. Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike-H, Has he/she got a snowsuit and snowboots, good gloves, sunglasses (yes, really!!!). I seem to recall just morning creche, if you've not booked lunch for him/her (which you can still do in resort when you get there - thinking you are with crystal) then it's a good idea to stick a snack box in - take a little tupperware box with you, raisins, crackers, mini biscuits are ideal for it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i think it does, all my ozzie mates say it does.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, Top tips again. Yes she will be fully suited and booted. Sun glasses in case but she thinks they are a toy and never leaves them on for many seconds. I will stick a lunch box in my case for her. Had not even considered that. Yes we are with Crystal Creche so I will either buy lunch there or take some goodies for her. Luckily she is not a fussy eater, but she will not eat raisins. Curry fine - raisins no chance.
ski holidays
Mike-H, Laughing

In resort you can buy sunglasses with an elastic strap rather than arms. Have to admit I never bothered with them. Have a great time. (By the way the Crystal Creche staff I have come accross have always been lovely.)
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Likewise - enjoy your holiday in the adjacent village. Hope to show you some pics of me going backwards on my skis real soon. Smile
ski holidays
The back of suntan lotion bottles have towards the bottom a circle with an arrow and a number in it - usually says 6m or 12 m. This means that the lotion should be disposed of either 6 months or 12 months after opening - so no "use by" date as such. I try to remember to write the date I opened a bottle onto the front of it in permanent marker.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy