Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What puts most pressure on knees - skiing or boarding?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I couldn't see if this one had been done before so apologies if it has. What puts more pressure on your knees, skiing or boarding?. I am a couple of weeks into post ACL op rehab and obviously bored sh*tless because everyone else is off skiing! When I had my accident and was feeling sorry for myself I thought that if i made a comeback I might turn to the dark side because I just presumed it puts less pressure on your dairy leas (I haven't boarded for a few years now, it was only a day here and there if I was on a long ski trip, I am an intermediate level boarder, regular stance and left knee is the one I have had the op on). Having watched 7 back to back episodes on 'Ride Guide snow' I had recorded yesterday I think fingers crossed if it goes well I would prefer to return to two planks but very interested to hear the view from the experts.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am not an expert, but have read an article by a snowsports-involved doctor that snowboarding is less stressful on the knees. Will post the link if I can remember it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gsyfreerider, less torsion on a board, but you want to be careful of the front leg while getting of lifts/scooting about with a foot out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gsyfreerider, I'm not any kind of expert, and am mainly a skier, but I do have dodgy knees (don't we all?) and agree with Lizzard. I did twist my knee a bit one time when I fell getting off a lift with only my front foot in the binding. The other end of the board dug in the snow and really twisted the knee. My solution was to get the back foot in the bindings before getting off, the next time, though that's not exactly a recommended method.

I found boarding quite hard on many other parts of the anatomy, though......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.ski-injury.com/faq
Snowboarding is easier on the knees according to the doc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmjimm, Thanks for the link, which says telemark or boarding are kindest on knees.....I hadn't thought of that, maybe it's time to join the freeheel revolution!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anecdotal evidence from me, but many of the older riders i've met over the years were formally skiers who've blown out a knee or two and taken up boarding to get back on the mountain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gsyfreerider, Plus knee pads maybe? Boarding may put less pressure on the joints but they will be the first point of contact on occasion.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
larry duff wrote:
Gsyfreerider, Plus knee pads maybe? Boarding may put less pressure on the joints but they will be the first point of contact on occasion.

Thats what my brother does yeah. Destroyed his knees in rugby & football (keeper), he couldn't even stand on ski's for more than an hour. Now he boards all day long and just wears knee pads for the inevitable crashes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I found boarding quite hard on many other parts of the anatomy, though......

Toofy Grin

Knee pad, wrist guard, helmet!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and back bottom pad(s)... both for keeping bum warm as well as the inevitable (in my case at least) impact...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
??! Very Happy I definitely didn't write 'back bottom' in my previous post! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy