Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuck in snow driving - a cautionary tale...

Poster: A snowHead
...top tip...

...take the handbrake off...

...no amount of digging is effective against stupidity rolling eyes

(This was, of course, "a friend". Not myself. I would never be so stupid...)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your friend is not the only one to have done this. I (well a friend of mine) had to move a tractor out of a stubble blaze when I was 15 - could I get the thing to move even in lowest gear? Luckily I was rescued to my relief and hilarity of the farm foreman! Tractor handbrakes are mighty things Shocked

As a post script the local retained firemen came out in their brand new tender to extinguishe the combine, and within a minute had their hoses trained on their own engine because its exhaust had ignited a row of straw underneath it. It had to be towed home because the brake pipes were burned out rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni wrote:
...top tip...

...take the handbrake off...

Take it out of gear when being towed with the engine off too. Laughing

I towed a Corsa in the snow, told the driver to take the handbrake off, dragged it 200m with the front wheels locked solid.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This thread just reminded me that I left the car with handbrake on. Frozen on handbrake is not a fun situation **goes to release handbrake**.

Top tip for towing: keep the electrics on or your brakes don't work properly and the steering lock will be active Shocked

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 21-12-09 18:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I (sorry, "my friend") is starting to feel positively intelligent Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never swear blindly you've fixed a faulty brake light to the wife - as you will only be caught out later when the wife as to call the AA out as half the other lights have stopped working and batteries flat.

So a friend tells me Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
narc wrote:
Frozen on handbrake is not a fun situation.

Frozen on handbrake is also not a cheap situation Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

I (sorry, "my friend") is starting to feel positively intelligent

LOL Oh I've used that so many times
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch wrote:
narc wrote:
Frozen on handbrake is not a fun situation.

Frozen on handbrake is also not a cheap situation Sad
Bloody hell, all the roads round me are hills. Wot am I supposed to do?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cars shouldn't really be left with the handbrake left on for a prolonged period of time anyway.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I never knew about handbrakes being a problem Embarassed - can anyone tell me when/when not to use it? I've just always put it on when I leave the car; we did so last year when it was -13 in the morning but nothing went wrong. How long is "prolonged"? Thanks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AW, Long enough for it to freeze! Normally overnight. Frozen doorlocks are easier to access with a readily available warm fluid! Leave the car in gear, and if on a hill with the wheels into the kerb.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, a "friend of mine" did the same thing. Luckily the car could still be moved (slowly) and some time in the "domestic" garage (as opposed to the car mechanic type of garage) with a fan heater solved the problem.
AW, maybe it was cold enough that there was no water to freeze but only snow Puzzled . I've always been more worried after driving through lots of slush than "pure" snow. In the absence of snow I'm not sure how long James the Last would recommend but I leave mine off if I'm away for more than a week or so - having had problems with brakes "rusting on".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni, a "friend" of mine called the AA out when his Merc wouldn't start. When they arrived he got in and noticed the auto shift was in D. That's not right I - sorry, he - thought, and put it in Park. "Try to turn it over" says Mr AA, and amazingly, it started first time! Gosh, you're clever I, er, he said, what a proper mystery. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Such a luxury today. After a couple of hours down in Annemasse/Geneva my handbrake had thawed out and I could use it again!

But I did leave it frozen on last year - you live and learn. Mine was frozen solid (off) for the last 10 days, and the concentrated low temp windscreen wash solution also frozen solid.
snow report
OK, excuse ignorance, but could I please recap? (I've never had a frozen handbrake and, like AW, didn't know this was a risk.) For the first time in my life, I own an automatic car. I can't take the key out of the lock unless it's in 'park.' Is it really OK to leave it in 'park', with the wheels into the kerb, on a hill (pointing downhill) with the handbrake off? I'm proper nervous now. Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, ... your friend's a real laugh ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
OK, excuse ignorance, but could I please recap? (I've never had a frozen handbrake and, like AW, didn't know this was a risk.) For the first time in my life, I own an automatic car. I can't take the key out of the lock unless it's in 'park.' Is it really OK to leave it in 'park', with the wheels into the kerb, on a hill (pointing downhill) with the handbrake off? I'm proper nervous now. Embarassed Embarassed

Well after having a frozen on handbrake twice this year, I have left my car in reverse gear with the wheels pointing in (on slight hill) for the last few days.

But mine is not an automatic, so I'm not sure how yours would work.
latest report
This frozen handbrake intrigues me - I always put the handbrake on and have never had a problem - nor did I know there could be a problem?
latest report
Boris, Neither did I until a few weeks ago.

But I have had it happen to me twice now - both times when the car was left overnight with temperatures of -5 or lower on return to it. And both times when the final part of the drive before had been on roads likely to result in damp brakes (wet road the first time, snow the second).
snow report
As normally the handbrake is part of the rear brake assembly, this is prone to snow, slush etc. When the brakes are used they generate heat which melt the snow or slush into a substance called water this then result in the rear brake assembly becoming what is normally refered to as wet. Once the vehicle ceases to move, known as stationary, said brakes lose this generated heat to the surounding area often refered to as cooling. Should surrounding area be below freezing (sometimes found in ski resorts) this water, now technically refered to as moisture, changes state again to become a solid, called ice, ice sticks things together.
ski holidays
Boris, it's only ever happened to "my friend" once. But once was enough...
Another snow/car related problem I've only ever had once was the time I failed to clear the snow off the roof (on account of a thick layer of ice "welding" it to the car). As I'm sure many will guess the heat of the car melted this snow somewhat with the result that when I parked the car up overnight the runoff froze the doors shut Sad .
latest report
I had a new CItroen Xantiaa years ago and attemped a handbrake turn on a quiet corner in the snow. The handbrake was applied to the front wheels in the Xantia. The lampost made a big dent in the Xantia Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
Rocksteadee, thanks for the idiots guide wink

Obviously I'm lucky, or maybe some cars are better shielded Puzzled HAve driven into ski resorts in wet conditions before and left car with handbrake on for entire week with temps regularly below -10c. No probs at all.

That, I realise, has now doomed me for next weeks trip Laughing
snow report
Rocksteadee,

Good explanation.

The frozen handbrake is more of a problem in the Alps. Disk brakes are less likely to get frozen too. Had a couple of times not able to get into the car due to the doors (or its locks) frozen solid in Norway and Sweden.
latest report
You lot are doing my confidence the world of good rolling eyes . Driving solo to the Swiss Alps next Feb with the children - car normally spends the week outside not being moved with handbrake off - is it best left in gear or neutral? (flat surface is parked upon).
ski holidays
Really don't get all this frozen this and that stuff. Fours years ago over Christmas in Les Gets and the temperature varied between -10 and -25 C and no problems with anything freezing up. Tell your car to MTFU and get on with it. Toofy Grin
snow report
And your worried about the handbrake
http://agisbau.com/ice.htm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Genuinely not me.

Two mates who had Yamaha FS1E (for anyone who remembers them) went to Anglesey for a drive. On the way back mate 1's bike conks out so mate 2 gets his trusty spider connector and attaches his bag rack to mates handlebar. Off they go painfully slowly and these are 50cc bikes so that's really painful.

After about three miles they get up to the mind blowing speed of .. . . ooh 26mph.

Mate 1 then, in a moment of shear genius, decides to put his bike in gear. For reasons he was never able to explain.

The spider really showed it's worth and didn't break instantly, instead mate 2, who knew nothing about what is happening, was thrown over the front of his bike. Apparently performing a nice pirouette around his handlebars using his testacles as an anchoring device.

Cue epic but quite reasonable under the circumstances, tantrum. Once he's recovered sufficiently anyway.
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
You lot are doing my confidence the world of good rolling eyes . Driving solo to the Swiss Alps next Feb with the children - car normally spends the week outside not being moved with handbrake off - is it best left in gear or neutral? (flat surface is parked upon).

If the handbrake's off, I would strongly advise you to leave it in gear.
snow conditions
666 wrote:
...For reasons he was never able to explain....

Sometimes we just have to find out what will happen if....
It's part of what makes us human.
snow conditions
andyph, if it's that cold then the snow/ice remains frozen and doesn't turn so easily into water which can then re-freeze.... IMHO conditions around zero are the worst for this sort of thing, just the type of weather we in the UK normally get.
ski holidays
Higs wrote:

No, it part of what make you a man! rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
Higs wrote:

Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:
Apparently performing a nice pirouette around his handlebars using his testacles as an anchoring device.

maggi wrote:
Higs wrote:

Well, to start with, anyway.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:

Yes. Park locks the front wheels. I've never used the handbrake on any of the automatics I've had.
ski holidays
Oh goodie

we've got the car parked outside the chalet in Park and probably with the brake on, too much snow to have a look

It had frozen washer fluid when it was parked. now you are telling me that the brakes could also be frozen and I have a friend with a newer model of the car who had frozen lights when they went to Sweden last year. Has got diesel from a mountain petrol station so hoping that's OK.

What else can freeze????

but then again am I going to worry about it until we need to move it in a week or so's time?
ski holidays
Frozen lights! How does that work? Or do you mean swivelling/levelling?
ski holidays
666 wrote:
Genuinely not me.

Two mates who had Yamaha FS1E (for anyone who remembers them) went to Anglesey for a drive. On the way back mate 1's bike conks out so mate 2 gets his trusty spider connector and attaches his bag rack to mates handlebar. Off they go painfully slowly and these are 50cc bikes so that's really painful.

After about three miles they get up to the mind blowing speed of .. . . ooh 26mph.

Mate 1 then, in a moment of shear genius, decides to put his bike in gear. For reasons he was never able to explain.

The spider really showed it's worth and didn't break instantly, instead mate 2, who knew nothing about what is happening, was thrown over the front of his bike. Apparently performing a nice pirouette around his handlebars using his testacles as an anchoring device.

Cue epic but quite reasonable under the circumstances, tantrum. Once he's recovered sufficiently anyway.

Hurrah for Fizzies! Hurrah for pedals and the 4-down gearbox. Hurrah for pre-restriction moped madness.

SS50s sucked wink

Nice story!
ski holidays
Good pictures BergenBergen.

Park locks the output shaft of the automatic gearbox, and therefore locks the wheels which would normally be driven by the engine (front wheels in a FWD car, rear wheels in a RWD car). If you're concerned about the handbrake freezing then leave the car in first gear or reverse (if a manual) or in park (if an automatic). I've had the handbrake-applied brakes stick a few times on various cars (mostly through rust), but can't say I've had them freeze.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy