Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to look for USA/Canada based holidays....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anybody have any recommendations as to where to look for/websites to use, and where to go over the Pond. Looking to go at the end of march. Anybody have any experiences/places to avoid at that time of year?? Looking for a fully catered all in package, but willing to DIY it if its cost effective. Thanks in advance snowHead s.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you will struggle to find a fully catered deal...

I just booked through Canadian Affair and got a better deal over the phone (without the ridiculous under occupancy supplements if you don't have 4 to a room in some places) than Inghams, Crystal or DIY. Going to Banff.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I go to the States every year. It was a mine field at first, not knowing where to go etc etc. The way we did it was to study most resorts for required criterea ie. transfer time from airport, ski area and accessibility from accommodation. Then went to chosen resort web sites and sites like VRBO and mail shot anyone and everyone for best prices. Long stay book inependently , 7-10 days do package as flights alone can be around £400 return. As arv, says C. Affair. ski Independence go `cross pond so may be able to negotiate deal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, susieski, what resorts would you appove / disapprove of??going with people who are advanced intermediates, tackle pretty much anything and want to get into the steep and deep stuff.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't bother with the East Coast. Shorter flights, but can be very cold and not nearly as nice snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
barthez1980,

Just about any US Canadian resort will give you what you want in terms of terrain, especially if you are going for 7-10 days. I`m just about to spend another 2 months in the same resort as the previous 2 years!! so no experience of other US resorts. I`m very happy with resort and still finding new territory , steeps, trees, backcountry etc, no night life to speak of though.

You might consider location, East or West Coast. East is colder, more prone to ice and hardpack. West has wetter snow but warmer climate. Also consider big/small ski town for required night life??

We plumped for mid west and went for Colorado, plenty of dry powder and in 8 months haven`t hit ice once. Cold but a DRY cold and easy to stay warm. Also direct flight to Denver and short transfer.

Utah has brilliant terrain and snow. Can`t go wrong there. Loads of yanks like areas around Salt Lake City UT Snowbird etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
barthez1980, what kind of skiing do you want to do? What level are you and those going with you.

Some US resorts close in early april too.

There are some catered deals - One week of our 12 days in Utah in March/April will be half-board, and many years ago I even stayed in a traditional chalet type deal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have been to Canada for the last 10 yrs. Mostly DIY flights with c.affair then fly in canada to cut down the drive. There are several firms you can book with for condos/houses any thing from a studio to a 8bed house! Many will have a hot tub, a bbq,a full kitchen with laundry and ski in ski out. Most resorts offer transfers from the local airport and transfers to other resorts if you whish to try out more than one.

The resorts web pages have links to accomadation. Most of the resorts in BC interior close early April.
The resorts are often in clusters so there will be 2-3 within easy driving distance of the airports.
The only resorts i have seen with catered chalets are Whistler and Banff. The others are diy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barthez1980,

It won't be cold at the end of March: this is an ideal time to go (OK, it's when I always go).

Like several of the above posters, I'm a Canada regular. We usually DIY it, but when we have used TOs, we find that Ski Independence are pretty good, especially for putting together a non-standard set of criteria.

You're very unlikely to find anything that's fully catered, but you can get some fantastic self-catered accomodation: Canadian and US condos are far superior to the general run of European s-c apartments.

I usually start with resort web-sites and Google when I'm looking for accomodation (but for Canada, don't usually go further than AlluraDirect.com).

For the type of skiing you want to do, then Whistler, Banff, Utah and a number of Colorado resorts should all suit you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It won't be cold... but it might be Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I live here in the states. March is great time. In my opinion you should look at a few places depending on what your in to.

Breckenridge / keystone (summit county) 2 hours west of Denver Colorado. Great mountain town with alot of shops bars restaurants all walkable. My wife loves this place. The lift tickets work at both breck and keystone (only 15 minutes drive away). Keystone has night skiing. We love going here with groups of people. Vail is close by and your lift ticket works there too.

Utah is my favorite place to snowboard/ski. Snow is better in Utah. Its a completely different feel. You fly into salt lake city, utah. From downtown you have several different resorts to hit. I usually go here with my mates and we stay downtown and go to which ever resort has the most snow each day (about 30-40 minutes drive). The resorts are great for skiing but not alot else there as far as villages or towns.

Check out snowbird; you'll see the other resorts if you google ski utah. powder mountain is worth looking at as its different. smaller and simple; hire a guide to take you around mountain. we had never done this and was so worth it. Found fresh powder; took snow cat up as well.

http://www.snowbird.com/index.html

Lake Tahoe - I'm not a fan but friends love this place. worth looking at. Lots of resorts; check out heavenly

If you're coming this far; look at whistler in BC. if you hit the snow; best place to go.

Here in the states; its not common to find catered but I'm sure as with everything else here if you have the money anything is available.

Lift tickets - check out this AWESOME site. liftopia.com Save on lift tickets; sometimes you'll even get meal tickets.

Where to stay: Check out this site; we've had great luck with renting from private owners.

http://www.vrbo.com/

Let me know if you need more info; hope this is helpful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Used Ski Independence in the past. Very professional
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For DIY: These lodges at Alta, Utah offer room and board at set fees: http://www.alta.com/pages/lodging_base.php
It's a good place to go in late March, convenient to a major airport (Salt Lake City) and adjacent to fine additional skiing at Snowbird resort.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy