Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotunnel problems

Poster: A snowHead
Sky breaking news reporting the eurotunnel service now "in meltdown" !!
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Eurostar-And-Eurotunnel-Channel-Tunnel-Meltdown-Prompts-Independent-Review/Article/200912315505529?lpos=UK_News_Top_Stories_Header_0&lid=ARTICLE_15505529_Eurostar_And_Eurotunnel%3A_Channel_Tunnel_Meltdown_Prompts_Independent_Review
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jezza123, would be interesting to get a real update from a SnowHead as Tunnel information line is saying otherwise. See post above.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, certainly would. Sky News seem to be reporting chaos then then just re-hashing the E* story
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to South East Today on the spot reporter this morning the car shuttle service was operating normally, there's bound to be a bit of a backlog but Operation Stack has been cleared and it all seems to be aok for car travellers. Eurostar is another kettle of fish as they have still got passengers stranded on both sides of the channel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wishful thinking on my part maybe but:
The video only refers to eurostar
People with no existing booking have been turned away all week-end so maybe nothing "new" there.
delays were to access the terminal due weather/operation stack/Friday's mess.

So hopefully a bit of sky news headline jigging..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler, looks like it us, let's hope so. I'll keep watching the BBC and ignore the "tabloid " stations.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
that said, from eurotunnel website updated 10.42 this morning:

"Eurotunnel is currently experiencing service disruptions."

Sad Sad

Edit: information line: "Eurotunnel passenger service is temporarily closed due to massive backlog from the week-end!"

Sad Sad Sad

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 21-12-09 12:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler, not much different to what the information line said this morning though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont,

see my edit...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler, Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wondering if I should take the Eurotunnel booking forward to our next trip and book a ferry for Wednesday
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Eurotunnel is currently experiencing service disruptions.

Day trips bookings will not be honoured and day trip customers are advised not to travel. To rebook your travel to an alternative date, please call our Contact Centre on 08443 35 35 35 or amend your booking online.

Customers without a reservation are advised NOT to make their way to Eurotunnel as they will not be able to purchase a ticket.

Adverse weather is making driving conditions on both sides of the Channel difficult. Customers are therefore advised to allow enough time for their journey.

We advise pre-booked customers to call the 24hr automated customer information line 08444 63 00 00 for the latest travel information.

21/12/2009 10:42
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8424646.stm from BBC website
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, We're due out on Tuesday evening and are sticking with current plans. We've been hit by something like this (although no where near as bad Shocked ) and it's amazing how quickly they clear the backlog of people waiting for trains...I'm hopeful that it'll be clear by then. Website says they're not honouring Day Trip bookings but the rest of us seem to be able to travel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
....hmm, just called the information line and it says they're currently closed!!! May have to have a rethink....
snow report
homphomp, I think we will just suck it and see.
snow report
Quote:
He said day trip passengers had been told to go home

too bl**dy right! must be insane trying to do a 1 day booze cruise, given what's been on the news the last 3 days.
ski holidays
However, at £55 for Norfolk line crossing, it may be an insurance policy against spending Christmas day on the autoroute instead of on the pistes.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, seems that LD lines & Norfolk Lines report the least delays.
latest report
andy wrote:
Quote:
He said day trip passengers had been told to go home

too bl**dy right! must be insane trying to do a 1 day booze cruise, given what's been on the news the last 3 days.

Quite - you'd have to be slightly mad to assume you would be able to pop across under current situation.

The BBC report strikes me as sensationalist - I think they have just been swamped today as they were running with minimal delays according to news this morning and now just need to suspend check-in until they can clear the queue at the terminal
snow report
we are on the 05.50am tomorrow... fingers crossed
snow report
I am currently on hold to their customer center..trying to figure if the service is really closed to people with bookings (no the day travel ones..) or is it just closed to anyone without a booking......
been on hold for quite a while already...

OK just talked to the guys there: They are currently turning away ALL passenger customers. It is a technical issue rather than a backlog one (backlog was cleared yesterday evening). The guy had no information as to when services are likely to resume...

Now shall I fork out on a ferry crossing...dunno...arrgghh...
ski holidays
Ooh, you can give us an early morning update then wink
ski holidays
It will all be fine by Friday.

:fingerscrossed:
snow report
Caved in to mass hysteria and booked a single ferry crossing on Norfolk line 6 am tomorrow.. I might have wasted £50 in doing so but it's peace of mind and the ferry prices were already going up and were higher on wednesday anyway...
So, will it be ferry or eurotunnel?...who knows....
ski holidays
Kruisler, tempted to do the same.
latest report
Kruisler, I hate it when I give in to that Smile
snow report
Helen Beaumont,
You have an extra 24/36 hrs on us so you can be more confident.
With les than 18 hours to go and a 3 and 5 yr old in the back I decided not to take the risk...

What a stressful couple of hours.. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler, sensible decision with young kids
snow report
Kruisler, true, I'm going to email Eurotunnel and see what they have to say.
ski holidays
Amazing isn't it - we all try and get ourselves the best deal whether by air, ferry or tunnel - or use our Tesco vouchers, and then when it comes to it you have to just stump up and get booked onto something that you hope will go. Maybe sort the rest out through insurance, but you just want to know you can travel.

We spent last week fretting about whether daughter and her boyfriend would get to Geneva with their BA flights - then discovered that she, at least, was travelling from Gatwick which was not going to be affected. So they booked him an Easyjet flight as a backstop with the option of changing the date on that.

The good news would be that our next door neighbours arrived here in Les Gets about midnight last night having gone through the tunnel. The journey then was pretty slow as they had to follow snow ploughs as far as Bourg en Bresse doing no more than 35 mph. And eventually the kids ran out of DVDs.
snow report
This from kentnews.co.uk

Eurotunnel, the service which carries cars, coaches and freight through the Channel Tunnel, has had to close check-ins to passengers without bookings.

A spokesman for the company said there were no problems with the trains but the volume of traffic wishing to use the service was likely to cause gridlock if not properly managed.

Those with bookings will still be guaranteed their places on the Eurotunnel trains, but the company is urging people without bookings not to try to get a place on the service.

This is usually a peak time of year for Eurotunnel, which carries cars, but the company’s spokesman said Eurostar’s problems exacerbated the situation.

On Friday night (December 1Cool, almost 1,500 passengers left stranded in the Channel Tunnel when six trains broke down.

The Eurotunnel spokesman said there was still a backlog to be cleared from when the tunnel was closed last week.

It is also likely that people who have not been able to travel on Eurostar are trying to travel through the tunnel by car instead.

Eurotunnel hopes to reopen its check-ins to new customers later today.
latest report
We're booked on Eurotunnel wednesday morning but after seeing the news at lunchtime have also booked a P&O ferry, figured it was worth the extra for peace of mind. We can leave it till last minute to see what's going on. Sad
snow report
BergenBergen,

I saw that article while holding the line to eyuurtotunnel, but the customer center told me ALL car passengers are turned away until further notice, not just day travellers or people without bookings...
ski holidays
Kruisler, Just had a look on the webcam http://www.trafficengland.com/trafficcamera.aspx?cameraUri=http://public.hanet.org.uk/cctvpublicaccess/html/17063.html

doesnt look as bad as they are saying.
snow conditions
BergenBergen,

well we'll see, tsaid customer center told me it had nothing to do with traffic (unlike what it says on website) but was a technical issue, hence why all passengers were turned away.
Maybe people have finally given up hence the clearish roads...

I'll start worrying again when I get at 3am tonight... too much to do before for now..
ski holidays
Latest website and phone line update (identical word for word) at 3.30pm:

Eurotunnel Shuttle services are currently running, but very heavy traffic levels (the residue from the incidents with broken down Eurostar trains on Friday night) means that the Folkestone Terminal is at saturation point.

Eurotunnel has therefore regretfully had to take the decision, on safety grounds, to stop accepting new car traffic onto its Folkestone Terminal. Customers are advised NOT to make their way to Eurotunnel.

As traffic is moved to France via Shuttle services and space again becomes available, Eurotunnel will reopen its check-in.

Customers are advised to call the 24hr automated customer information line
snow report
Kruisler, if they reopen this evening, it is likely to happen again tomorrow. Maybe I need to book that ferry.
ski holidays
Packed and ready to go. have to get up at 2.30 am just in case it's the ferry after all...fingers crossed..
ski holidays
Good luck! We are booked on an 8am service on Christmas morning.... so just watching the weather and seeing how the week unfolds
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy