Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brit Killed in Snowmobile Accident

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A British tourist who was driving a snow mobile was killed on Monday night after hitting a metal post in the ski resort of Avoriaz the Gendarmerie revealed today. The victim, Sharon Anne Stacey, aged 36 and a resident of Portsmouth died from her injuries despite the efforts of rescue workers.

The Gendarmerie have opened an investigation. The use of snow mobiles for leisure purposes is strictly controlled in France.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably more common activity in North American resorts which causes a lot of avalanches there by " high marking " and other irresponsible use of snowmobiles. IMO should be banned entirely from the mountains and any other engine propelled vehicles.

This looks like an unfortunate accident.

Sad, of course, and my sympathy to the family of th deceased. Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia, whereas skiers and boarders rarely cause avalanches of course.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hibernia, there are many good and valuable uses of engine propelled vehicles in the mountains including their use in rescue.... A ban might be rather foolish.

If you're coming from an environmental angle you'd be rather hypocrtical as surely downhill skiing has caused massive destruction in the mountainous and wilderness regions of the world.

Reminds me of the 4x4 & green lane debate - ramblers v greenlaners
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From a common sense perspective, I have no objection to skidoos being offered by resorts to punters on a recreactional basis so long as that recreational use is carefully controlled and monitored. I don't see that this kind of skidoos use causes any more damage to the environment than plank users. But other than common sense I have no proof of this, so evidence to the contrary is welcomed.

The legal position reported in the article seems slightly at odds with the reported policy position - policy seems to imply that Mayors are allowed to permit resorts to provide controled careful recreational use, but the law seems to indicate that private land owners only are allowed to use skidoos and only then if they keep to their own private land, or public roads (mind you, the term "private landowners" could conceivably include their guests and accordingly could capture paying punters). But I'm only going by what the report says and their english interpretations of the French law - unless you're fluent in French legalese, or are receiving an interpretation from someone who is, then it's often difficult to obtain an entirely accurate meaning of that law.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Portsmouth Evening News has spoken with the local police and have reported a bit more information.

http://www.thenews.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=455&ArticleID=955034

I didn't write the article I linked to but I think the author knows her onions. As far as I can see from the article skidoo trips are okay in Frensh ski resorts as long as the circuit complies with the following ordonance:

it is possible (for mayors) to allow the use for leisure purposes of snowmobiles, the area where that sport will be exercised must be strictly and precisely defined. It must be a closed area, far from any housing, with its own access road and car park. Should the area cover more than 4 hectares, the formalities are even stricter.

I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the Avoriaz skidoo trips just that skidooing is tightly regulated. Thanks for raising this.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I took part in the skidoo excursion when I was there last year in January. I booked it as a mixed group of 16 including 5 youngsters. My recall was that it was a procession around a worn area and a bit boring - unable to open up the machines to get any real thrill, often hanging back a bit then accelerating! I don't remember any walls anywhere as it was on the slopes and parkland below. In hindsight we were probably managed to be as safe as possible and yet still get to experience the fun of the occasion. I hope it doesn't stop others from this enjoyment also. My sympathies to Charone's family.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pollyperks, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowmobiling is great fun and i dont think it should be over regulated or banned. My experiences are all in Canada and we have always had great days out in the wilderness.
You get to visit areas and see places that would take a long time and a lot of effort to get to on foot.
I for one will be back for more next Winter.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MUSKY, apologies, but I am a Greatbignasty Spoilsport, and I think those wildernesses should be left to those who are prepared to walk into them, and snowmobiles resticted to resorts for transport of heavy goods and injured skiers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, so we get rid of lifts and access roads too?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill, We'd all be a lot fitter and better skiers Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fitter , yes
Better ???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, marc, the resorts we all enjoy have already wrecked that bit of the wilderness: so be it. But we don't then have to invade further into our fellow creatures domain. Just think of poor Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear and Baby Bear, all settled down for a nice snooze after a good meal of porridge, when along comes a convoy of nasty noisy smelly snowmobiles. Not good for bears beauty sleep. And if they react naturally and wrip your head off, then the poor things get shot. How unfair is that?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy