Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought myself a Salomon Ranger ski helmet and although im not a fan of wearing a ski helmet they seem to be used a lot more by all ages and as im getting older i thought it was time to keep the noggin safe.
As much as comfort goes it seems light and after a short time wearing i can hardly notice its on.
I am booked to go skiing in St Anton early jan and the temp looks set to be cold and i will be interested to see how warm it will keep my head.
I will update my findings when im back.
Has anyone else got this model ? if so what are your thoughts.
Darren
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nibbley-uk, I have one. Bought it to use last season. Good comfy fit, keeps my head warm and the venting system works well. I especially like the fact that I don't have to faff around removing gloves and bits of padding in order to open and close the vents. Very happy with it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one Halfhand theres nothing like buying something only to here how bad it is.How cold or warm was the weather you used it in.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nibbley-uk, bug me can't remember. We were in Tignes/VdI during the world championships in Jan, the weather was cold, snowy and overcast.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, so Be Nice please! off and stop reading it you prick
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Toofy Grin I can't help it, I'm just drawn to helmet threads Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm a first-time helmet-wearer - I got a Salomon Ski Patrol one and tried it out for the first time last week. It was warm in conditions of minus 20, kept my ears nice and warm and was so light I forgot I was wearing it. I actually preferred it to a normal hat because it didn't get wet in the snow and I didn't have to wear a hood.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find them easier to wear than a hat.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, apologies for the abuse (would have preferred the full f**k word rather than a smiley, sort of lessens the impact) but whilst I too am both drawn to and hate oft repeated threads on the same subject (esp helmets), the OP (with only a few posts to his/her name) had at least asked a specific Q rather than a bland, "advice please" or " should I buy a helmet" type of open ended question and it was also a question that I felt I could reasonably reply to having bought one myself. Do you wear a helmet? If so what model? Was it a good buy?
No hard feelings eh Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, no offence taken. Your comment was exactly what I was thinking myself as I was opening the thread Laughing

Anyways, I've been hangin' on TGR lately were your comment is a term of endearment wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was wearing my helmet last week at -15. I wore part of my 'Buff' underneath and my head was toasty. It has got padded earflaps though. I'd rather wear it than a beanie.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just realised that I hate woolly hats - they always give me a head ache, or are too loose to stay put in the wind. Recent weather was cold enough to require a hat when walking, and I kept taking it off because I had a headache, then putting the wretched thing back on again. Indecisive to say the least!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had a few woolly hats fly off skiing even a cap but i dont think the helmet will fall off ..... unless my head is still attached Smile
One thing i have noticed is get the right size as the one i was recomended by the shop was too tight and i could only imagine with a sweaty head rubbing on the brim would of been too much to bear for a week so changed it for a bigger size and now it feels snug and cozy.
I even read somewhere that you should measure around your head and put 2 fingers under the tape ????
I would of though not too tight or too loose, but going by the shop who did measure my napper that 2 fingers under the tape would of worked for me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Too tight a helmet can be really uncomfortable. I've spent a lot of times in helmets kayaking and cycling and invariably get a raging headache if the helmet is too tight. Adjustable ones are worth the extra in my opinion (very happy with my Giro10).
latest report
There'd have been a lot more satisified women if I'd had an adjustable helmet Madeye-Smiley
snow report
halfhand, G spot issue again Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
There'd have been a lot more satisified women if I'd had an adjustable helmet Madeye-Smiley

Laughing
snow conditions
I have recently seen a couple of ridiculous looking people who have put hats on their heads and then the helmet on top - so the helmet is then perched towards the back and not doing what it is supposed to do at all. I don't think that my helmet would possibly fit over a hat so can only think that their's must have been the wrong size.
ski holidays
Well the lid got tested and even saved my bonce from hitting the deck after a stupid blue run incident with cloudy skies and the vis quite poor the ground dipped and going airbourne was not expected and after landing caught an edge and heard the dreaded `clip` as the ski departed my boot.
After dusting myself off and my freind still laughing i thought to myself i wonder if a few more bruises and a headache would of occured if no bash hat was worn !
The helmet was neither too hot or too cold just comfy but not sure how hot it will get during warmer weather as i had vents opened all week and temp varied from -7 to -19 , that will have to be another trip Smile
The other thing that happened during the week was my freinds lid , a Giro G10 had broken by mid week on its 2nd outing from new, it was the thin looking strap that is only stuck down with pollysterene had come away, when he took it back to snow and rock the only one they had left it the shop his size had already done the same so he exchanged it for a salomon ranger.
ski holidays
why does a ski need a helmet ?

And which ski gets the helmet ?
snow report
Quote:

I find them easier to wear than a hat.

Explain how wearing a hat can possibly be described as in any way complicated. Laughing
snow report
i always found beanie hats very complicated - whcih way round do they go ?
snow conditions
sev112, this could turn into another 'how should I wear my pants' thread unless we're very careful. Laughing
snow report
sev112, line the bobble up with your nose.
snow conditions
2 bobbles on mine unfortuantly Sad
ski holidays
nibbley-uk, Ignore them. It's what passes for humour occasionally rolling eyes
snow conditions
been wearing my helmet for the first time time week (had it for a year though) and wouldn't go back to a hat.
my helmet has a visor which is excellent most of the time but not so good in snow.. in that case it's take visor off and throw on the goggles..

my perspective is if you dont want to wear a helmet then dont.. matters not to me.. if you do want to wear one then do so. dont see what the fuss is about.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I just bought one, Great deal on an xs 'head' joker, kids helmet, obviously tiny head, small brains, better look after wot I got Laughing I must say its very comfey and cool graphics too Toofy Grin But I must get a snowhead sticker for it.

I wear a helmet riding several hours a day so makes sense that if I am doing an equally dangerous sport I shoul wear one, never thought of it like that befor though.
snow report
sev112 wrote:
why does a ski need a helmet ?

And which ski gets the helmet ?

You obviously need a helmet more than others, but i feel the damage has already been done and will be too late to repair Wink
if i was you id give up on snow and take up fishing but just be carefull on which tackle you put your bait !!!!!!!
snow conditions
nibbley-uk, Laughing

game set and match...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy