Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Was skiing actually more fun in the Thirties?

Poster: A snowHead
Good interesting piece in todays Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/6839209/Skiing-in-the-Thirties-all-downhill-since-then.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting, but buy yourself a modern tele skis some modern tele bindings and skins. A nice set of 2 clip, low plastic tele boots (or leather ones if you must). You'll then have light weight confy boots you can walk in, but skis that you can actually turn. Even on that modern kit you'll find that you work up plenty of warmth skinning up. Clothing wise the choice is upto you . Reckon you'll have just as much fun as they did in thirties probably more. Especially if you head off where there are no lifts as you'll know the runs are all your own work.

I'm off to do a bit of xc somewhere local today (probably the Clash).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no_snow_in_swindon, Thanks, I enjoyed that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, You're welcome!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst I have nothing but respect for these ski pioneers who founded an exhilarating pastime that we all now enjoy, there's no way I'd want to do as they did. Not the daft clothing, nor the perilous wooden skis, nor the ungroomed/unpatrolled conditions and certainly not the laborious walk uphill. I expect it was mostly men in those days anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia wrote:
I expect it was mostly men in those days anyway.

What in this kind of a way -
http://youtube.com/v/SjxY9rZwNGU
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, My grandmother skied in the thirties, I'm sure she would have worn sensible clothes to do it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My body recovered quicker when I was in my twenties, but in my thirties it has proved to be equally good fun - so far
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Didn't start till my 40's so hard to say.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, I stand corrected. Maybe I spent too long listening to my grandmother. She insists she wasn't allowed out of the kitchen until 1964!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure that it was more fun, but I am sure that the people who skied were much fitter back then, after all they had to climb up the hills first before they skied down wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have skied in every decade of my life so far. Wonder how long I can maintain that!?!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a load of bull. As already said you can get proper touring kit which works a lot better than the old rubbish. Modern jackets aren't really bulky, especially if you compare it to a big thick jumpers. Ok the nostalgia might be fun... for a short while until you break you ankles which you are almost definitely going to do. And they only look happy because its perfect conditions in all those videos. There's a reason things progress. If it was better then we'd still be using all the stuff.

And what's She-ing anyway?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia wrote:
I expect it was mostly men in those days anyway.

You'd probably be surprised what Granny used to get up to

This charming young Grenobloise has decided to spend Christmas 1930 skinning up to the Moucherotte where she's contemplating her sleepy alpine town before it was trashed by post war town planning. She's probably got a bottle of Absinthe in her napsack

or how about this couple in December 1922 who took the Diligence from Grenoble to St Christophe and are skinning up to the refuge du Pilate. Note the happy young ladies' hat, top fash today I think.

People were a lot fitter back then and there was no tv to keep you occupied. Instead it was a healthy outdoor lifestyle and early nights for a bit of nookie.

While not skiing check out Leni Riefenstahl climbing

http://youtube.com/v/QP-r16nMxN8
ski holidays
davidof, Great photos and clip. Reminds me of some old climbing footage I have on video. People like Bonatti etc.

Btw - I hardly wore shoes until I came to this chilly country... even used to go to school barefoot in NZ.
snow conditions
davidof, I love the photos - thanks for posting them Happy
ski holidays
I enjoyed that..

I put these photos of my father and friends from the 30s on here some time ago:
(click to find others)
snow report
Your dad has Bausch and Lombe aviator sun glasses. Invented in 1930 I believe, B&L had the first glass to filter UV light.

Love the car. Excellent photos.
snow conditions
Loving the pics. Very Happy
latest report
me too Very Happy
snow report
snowball, loved those photos. Must look and see what I've got of my Dad (pre-war Zakopane) when I get home.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Your dad has Bausch and Lombe aviator sun glasses. Invented in 1930 I believe, B&L had the first glass to filter UV light.

Wow, talk about arcane knowlege: thanks davidof.
After the war when I was small he filmed us skiing using a movie camera taken from a wartime bomber. Being a fixed camera it had no view finder so he rigged it up with two fold-away wire rectangles at the side which he had to line-up. The lens was, of course, first rate. Do I remember correctly that it was electric powered? I seem to remember he carried the batteries in his back-pack but I could be wrong.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:

Wow, talk about arcane knowlege: thanks davidof.

You'll be lucky not to meet me in your local Laughing

To go back to the original question. Maybe after the shock of the first world war people appreciated the free time they got more than we do?
snow conditions
New gear better. But wool still the ultra warmest.
ski holidays
Xavier Adam, Wool over hi wicking thermals... NZ wool shirts are still top notch hunting gear.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy